PDA

View Full Version : superbolt usage number 4

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-14-2002, 12:14 AM
well, i tried busting out the super bolt today and in the end, the foamie came off.....AGAIN! this would be number 4 that i have lost(or is it 3). either way, i just don't get it. i put so much super glue. i sanded the tip of the bolt, everything. still no good. now i have no more foamies. and actually, it was my first shot of the night that it came out. what do i do now? i spent 55 dollars on something i have yet to really get a full day out of. aaaaaaaaaaaaa. oh well. at least my long nose foamiless bolt worked great today. oh, and i even played a full day with the freak. only a few breaks in the barrel until i went one step up. yippie.

Butterfingers
03-14-2002, 12:15 AM
put a tiny drop of glue on the tip, more glue usually makes the bond weaker.

BlackVCG
03-14-2002, 02:17 AM
Having blown four foamies doesn't that tell you something about the glue you're using? Get a high quality epoxy. Go to a hobby shop and see what they have. I personally use Loctite 404, but you usually can't find it in any store and it's expensive. www.grainger.com carries it.

Gecko
03-14-2002, 08:54 AM
go to an RC hobby store and buy some of the superglue used for gluing tires to rims. It worked great on my foamie. All it takes is a little glue don't need to go crazy.
Gecko

mrhooie
03-14-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't know if you can get it in the US, (probably) but Flash is a great alternative to "super-glue"

beam
03-14-2002, 09:32 AM
So, are you guys saying that if I get a superbolt, I'm gonna need to go buy a $5 tube of "special" glue just to get the foamie to stay?

Or, in your experiences, should "Wal-Mart" superglue work?

Just wondering...seems kinda strange.

oldsoldier
03-14-2002, 09:32 AM
chief...one word "shoegoo". Nuff said

LaW
03-14-2002, 10:36 AM
hmm i've had over 5 cases through my superbolt and i've never lost a foamie :) hehe oh well sorry :)

MiCRoFooL
03-14-2002, 10:47 AM
yeah, my fomie is still in place and I haven't had to use any extra glue... straight from the factory to my EMag and no problems with the fomie.

Omicron
03-14-2002, 10:50 AM
yeah, my superbolt still has the original foamie on it after around 1000 shots...I know thats not a lot...but, that lasted me 2 days.

(I know I don't shoot a lot :eek: )

CRASHKING
03-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Gecko
go to an RC hobby store and buy some of the superglue used for gluing tires to rims. It worked great on my foamie. All it takes is a little glue don't need to go crazy.
Gecko

and dont get it on your fingers. gosh thats scary. it instantly bond your fingers together and it is hard to get them apart real quick. i would know because of gluing my r/c truck tires to the rim (happened about 3 times to me)

Panzerr
03-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Clean the face of the bolt with alcohol first. Let it dry, and do not touch it. Also, do not touch the part of the foamie that you will be gluing to the bolt. The oil from your fingers can weeken the bond. Like everyone else said, only use a drop of super glue. Gel super glues seem to work best, as they don't run all over the place. I like Krazy Glue.

mrhooie
03-14-2002, 01:52 PM
even better than alcohol -clean it with acetone or nail polish remover (with acetone) - this will remove any and all residue of past glue...

If you Super Glue your fingers together - use acetone or nail polish remover to unstick them - no use hurting yourself if the inevitable happens

iisp0tii
03-14-2002, 02:11 PM
goto wal-mart & get some crazy glue, but u have to do it quick because that stuff dries pretty quick!

Fred
03-14-2002, 04:06 PM
Acetone + Delrin = Goo

When other "super-glues" fail, I just use whatever Cyanoacrylate I have on hand, the local hobby shops have a good one, it bonds everything to everything, permanently. I don't know if it will melt Delrin or not though.

Of course, I could be just dumb since I don't have a superbolt, and I'm not sure if you're gluing to Delrin or Steel.

As for getting glue on your skin, sandpaper is rough for a reason... who needs fingerprints??? :)

Thordic
03-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Cyanoacrylate... the same ingredient both your basic cheap superglue and Loctite 404 are made out of.

Black, your hyped-up loctite is the same stuff :)

Loctite isn't always better :) Just more expensive.

BlackVCG
03-14-2002, 09:09 PM
No. If it was that simple, Loctite wouldn't produce a variety of cyanoacrylate for special applications. There's ethyl cyanoacrylates and methyl cyanoacrylates. They have different viscosities and compatiblity with different materials. Loctite 404 is for bonding rubber parts.

Cyanoacrylate Loctite Products (http://www.loctite.com/catalog/category1.html?ProductLine=6010++++++++++++++++)

Butterfingers
03-14-2002, 09:56 PM
Superglues are generally broken down into 2 catagories.

Surface Sensitive: Only work well when you want to bond one material to the same material. Generic Superglues I belive are Methyl Cyanoacrylate CH3-(C5H5NO2)

EDIT: Crazy Glue is in fact Ethyl Cyanoacrylate.

Surface Insensitive: Works well in bonding one material to a diffrent material. Ethyl Cynanoacrilates C2H5-(C5H5NO2) Loctite 404 or Cyanoacrylate Ester CH3O-(C5H5NO2) Loctite Quick Tite. I havent tried quick tite yet but you might want to give it a shot its cheap and you can get it anywhere.

(I think they are right If I can remember my IUPAC nomanclature :) )