PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape...

FooTemps
03-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Ok guys... I just thought about getting in shape because of that "It sucks being out of shape thread"

Just reccomend any sort of good dietary habits and exercises for getting in shape...

I reccomend:
Good meals, 3 a day: Nice breakfast, try and eat a good breakfast, something that'll give you plenty of energy. I wish I had the time to eat like this though, any good alternatives?
Lunch should be enough to get you through until maybe mid-day when you can have a small snack. If you go to school, avoid the vending machines and the pizza. Get a sandwich from home or something.
Dinner can be whatever you want as long as it isn't very junky like mcdonalds stuff.
For exercising I'm getting back into breakdancing... lol...

langrage
03-14-2002, 09:02 PM
here are some suggestions:

1) Work out in the morning instead of night. That way your metabolism is raised all day. If you work out at night you get it going but then put it to bed when you fall asleep.

2.) Eat backwards. eat a huge breakfast. medium lunch and dinner large enough to get you through the night. Works on the same principal as above. Really, why are you eating all that food for right before bed. You some kind of bear?

3.) Most importantly. The average coke has 120 calories while the average light beer has 96. The problem is we drink cokes and do things, when we drink beer we usually sit on a stool or on a couch and do nothing. My suggestion, if your going to get hammered than make sure you stay active. Swim, jog, play golf or my favorite ride your bike. Just don't drive

nutz
03-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by langrage
My suggestion, if your going to get hammered than make sure you stay active. Swim, jog, play golf or my favorite ride your bike. Just don't drive

ok how do u pull off riding a bike while drunk?? LOL!! :D

langrage
03-14-2002, 10:00 PM
i usally use my body as a kick stand :(

Snooky
03-15-2002, 12:28 AM
ok i have the solution

become the teams back player.

Thordic
03-15-2002, 12:15 PM
As soon as UDTSEAL sees this, you all are in trouble. He's gonna bust out his health guitar and start WAILING on it and just cut everyones heads off. Because he has real ultimate healthy power.

TigerMan
03-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Just eating right is not going to get you in shape, in fact it won't even get you in shape at all, it will just make you healthy thats all. You'll have to work out some to get in true shape. The best way to do that is by running. Either running around the neighborhood, on a treadmill, up stairs or in an activity, running is what will get you in shape. The way I stay in shape is by playing recreational sports, such as basketball and soccer, in a league. It really helps, giving I have 2 practices a week and a game on the weekend and it keeps me in good shape.

Dr.StockClass
03-15-2002, 05:18 PM
Tiger is right, you're not going to see real benefits without exercise. (For those of us who are not morbidly obese.)

Did you know you get the most health benefits by going from doing nothing to just a little? The results seen go WAY up when first starting off and then level off. Thats right, anything, just a little bit, is better than nothing.

It kinda surprised me when I saw how little you have to do to get real benefits. All you need is a good 20 min workout, 3 or 4 times a week, at your target heart rate. I'm not gonna explain what that is but if you can feel your heart working and you work up a good sweat than thats intense enough.

A workout can be bike riding, swimming, hell even a day of PAINTBALL is an awesome workout. Basically the message is eat right (low fat, avoiding sugars and "empty" calories) and get up and do something, anything, on a regualr basis.

Feel free to email me for more info.

talls
03-15-2002, 05:50 PM
If you are trying to get into cardiovascular shape then run (both long distance and sprints). Here was my schedule when I played baseball...Mon-distance, wens-sprints, fri-stairs. Then on sat I would do all three. It was tough work but if you work out with weights and run alot you will get in shape fast.

FooTemps
03-15-2002, 05:52 PM
No duh we're supposed to be working out while we eat right! These are just some good dietary tips for those who don't know what to eat while they are trying to get back into shape!

langrage
03-15-2002, 05:59 PM
That's why i put work out in the morning as the first suggestion. But you can work out all you want and if you are not eating right you will not achieve that cut look. You will just be in good shape.

InfinatyBPS
03-15-2002, 08:26 PM
and I realy try not to be, actualy I don't even try that much anymore, its just what I do, this is my eating schedual:
Morning 5:30 AM- Eat a bowl of cerial and some juice.
Lunch 11:30am- Eat a PB&J sandwich + some gatorade.
Dinner 6:00pm- Eat pretty much whatever mom makes.

That is my day for food. And I am still huge, I don't eat hardly anything. Everyone thinks that I eat the world and stuff, but I don't. I excercise pretty decently at lunch and brunch at school(which adds up to about 45 mins) I play football or lift weights. And I have PE every other day(block schedual so only 3 classes a day) for 2 hours. And other than what I do at school I pretty much do no excercise, except for boxing that I am starting.
So I do get excersice, but not too much cause I have asthma and am large already so I can't run too much. So anyone have any tips for me? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
So far today I have a 2 waffles, a pb&j sandwich, a peice of bread(after school snack), and for dinner some jichima and some mashed potatos with some mushroom and beef gravy(only a small cerial bowl full). So that is pretty much for the day for me. So Tips? sorry for taking over another one of your threads foo hehehe, you just always post what I am thinking of posting.

FooTemps
03-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Eat more and try and push yourself until you can barely move. I do this during the tennis season a lot because we are required to practice every day. I run, stretch, play, run more, play more, lift weights at home, do pushups, etc.
It helps a lot after a while, you just need to keep a good pattern and you'll eventually start to lose weight and whip your body into shape. Personally, I'm pretty much a weakling. I can't bench much more than 75 total (including bar), I can't shoulder press more than 35, I can't even do more than 2 pull ups or dips and I can't powerclean more than 65. I want to be stronger so I try to push myself hard. I'm still tubby-ish too but I try and keep a good diet so I can burn more body weight than food energy.
It isn't good if you don't eat enough it'll just keep you from pushing yourself further and it'll keep your motabolism low.

InfinatyBPS
03-15-2002, 09:41 PM
well, I can bench around 180(including the bar) which isnt too bad except i weight like alot more than that, cant do a pull up, I can legg press around 500+ pounds, and can bicep curl like 80 including the bar, for about 10 reps. So I'm big but not weak.

Hemlock86
03-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Footemps

Get Bill Phillip's "Body For Life" book!!!!!!!

It may change your life. Or go to www.eas.com I plan on doing the Body for Life Challange soon!

peace

Kaiser Bob
03-16-2002, 04:13 AM
InfinetyBPS - looking at your eating habits, you have too many carb foods in your diet (starches, sugars, etc) I have the same problem. Also you have to try to spread out your food during the day and eat lots of veggies and some fruits (i hate them personally but ah well) also proteins are good like turkey and beef. Stay away from sodas and sports drinks as they are laden with carbs. Water is your friend. Excess Carbohydrates are your enemy! If only i could take my own advice.... :rolleyes:

Dr.StockClass
03-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Right on bob. I-bps: You might be eating small portions but they are still primarily processed carbs. Look at what you eat and then find something that can replace its yumminess but doesn't have the calorie or fat content. Diet pop is a good place to start instead of gatorade, and then water is always best. You should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

Something else that works good for me, but I remember was hard to do in highschool, is snack throughout the day instead of 2 or 3 meals. 6 small meals/snacks a day tricks your body into thinking food is plentiful so it speeds up its metabolism. As opposed to making it slower with 2 or 3 meals a day because your body thinks food is scarce.

And thats the trick. Eat enough good food to keep your body healthy without giving it too much, or extras it doesn't need like sugars and fats. Vegies can be your best friend. They fill you up, are good for you and don't have the "extras".

Basically weight loss comes down to this: You have to burn more energy (calories) then you put in. If you create a deficit of 3000 calories that is equal to 1 pound of stored energy (fat). So budget and count your intake calories day by day and estimate how many calories you burn during exercise and shoot for a deficit of 6000 cal. (2 lbs) for one week.

Intake cal. - burned cal. [should] = a negative number (deficit)

Use this to calculate how much you burn in a day. (http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/calories.shtml)

Here is a list of foods and their caloric content. (http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart1a.htm)

Please remember that weight loss does not always equal FAT loss. Try to go to a trainer or doctor and get your body fat percentage measured. Then go back and compare to see your progress. Good Luck man. Hope this helps.

Jonneh
03-16-2002, 07:31 PM
3 Words.
DANCE. DANCE. REVOLUTION.

IT SOLVES EVERYTHING!

FooTemps
03-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Jonneh
3 Words.
DANCE. DANCE. REVOLUTION.

IT SOLVES EVERYTHING!

I still need to find a dance pad/game package...

FeelTheRT
03-16-2002, 11:14 PM
I've lost 15lbs in the past two months. Here is a list of things i changed:

1. I stopped eating breakfast or just half a Nutrigrain bar
2. Drank water or skim milk instead of sodas and other beverages
3. I stopped eating in between meal snacks
4. I stopped eating junk food such as potato chips and cheetos. If you really need a snack, eat something fruity.
5. Exercersised while watching TV ie holding pushup or situp positions

Those steps are fairly simple if you ask me, just some habbitual changes, nothing real major. Its well worth it, i'm getting better mile times, more pullups, and better endurance.