PDA

View Full Version : Barrels for Mag Classic

Psycho
03-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Howdy,

This is my first post and I'm new to the site ( I say this because I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I'm not smart enough to find it).

I just bought a Mag Classic with black body and powerfeed. I've been out of paintball for about 10 years and need some advice on what barrel to get.

The new SmartParts All American and Progressive barrels look kind of cool and I know they used to be good, but what about the Dye Ultralight?

Any help would be appreciated even if it's something other than what I named above.

Thanks!
Psycho

boarderguy
03-15-2002, 09:09 AM
i have a 14" DYE Stainless Steel , a 12" DYE Boomstick , and a 12" Smart Parts teardrop... the boomstick in the nicest but i usually use the teardrop if i want to have a bit lighter of a marker...

Psycho
03-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Thanks Borderguy.

Can you tell me more about the Teardrop. Is it particular about paint, how's ball breakage, is it easy to blow paint out if it does break, etc.?

Thank,
Psycho

boarderguy
03-15-2002, 11:17 AM
i've only had one broken ball in my teardrop and it was due to the bolt not the barrel... and yes its easy to get paint out of it... it's a nice barrel...not too expensive.. and its a well knowin and trusted barrel...

Quiet
03-15-2002, 04:48 PM
I've found the SP barrels (All American, Teardrop) to shoot well with many different type of paint. Boomstick has worked better on some but worse on others.

Paint - Barrel Match

Poseidon
03-15-2002, 07:29 PM
if you got $80 lying around to spend on a barrel, i'd suggest just saving up a bit more and buying a freak kit. You'll get your money's worth. The biggest thing that makes your gun accurate is the paint to barrel match.

Psycho
03-15-2002, 08:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

drx975
03-15-2002, 11:36 PM
Technically the Lapco SS 12in is the most accurate barrel on the market. Now of course if you dont match the paint to bore size, the accuracy will vary. But seriously, who wants to sit around putting in 5 different inserts depending on the weather, while spending like 170-200. To me, there are better things you can buy with that money. Take the extra 100 or so and get the intelliframe. Trust me the inserts will be annoying and you will end up spending too much in the end. If you are a tourney player, well maybe then, just maybe. Still its not a $100 diffrence between the lapco and the freak (in fact its probably very little). Ask yourself if its really worth it.

And yes, the lapco is more accurate than a boomstick.

Predater
03-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Dye is overated. nuf said.

The Jackel
03-16-2002, 11:33 AM
I was wondering about the J&J ceramic barrels i hear nice things about them but are they good. If not whats a good barrel for a classic mag under 50 bucks.:confused:

drx975
03-16-2002, 06:21 PM
Go J&J ceramic. I haven't used one, but i have used a J&J SS 2 piece combo one. The JJ SS 2 piece was absolutely amazing. I got a break once in about every 1000 shots, sometimes 2000 shots. J&J makes really nice barrels and if you get the ceramic you probably would be making a good choice. Go here (http://www.pbreview.com/251/1/0/) for a review on the J&J Ceramic barrel. Actually, there 274 reviews right now.

PyRo
03-16-2002, 06:34 PM
You want about a 12in barrel with no porting. That will give you an efficiant accurate very loud barrel. If you want porting, you don't want more then 1in or so of it, it will kill your gas efficiancy. Lapacos are very good barrels, good leangth, good porting over all coo.