PDA

View Full Version : Co2 or N2

uru94
03-15-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm feeling quite inclined to buy the TKO Powerfeed Automag Classic from Paintballgear.com (am I allowed to use url??) and I want to just run it off a 20oz Co2 tank but my brother says that Co2's dirty and to stay away from it. He thinks I should use nitro but that would set me back another 100$ and I don't have that kind of green. Has anyone here had problems with Co2? is it really that bad?

eskimo
03-15-2002, 10:45 AM
The big problem with Co2 is it gets colder the faster you fire. It is possible to freeze your o-rings and cause the gun to malfunction, or even break the o-ring itself.

uru94
03-15-2002, 10:52 AM
What if it has a good expansion chamber on it? doesnt that keep it from getting too cold when it gets to the valve ans stuff??

eskimo
03-15-2002, 10:55 AM
It will help a little, but for a few bucks more you can get an Air/N2 tank. Watch the classified section, there are always great deals on n2 tanks.

uru94
03-15-2002, 12:16 PM
The TKO powerfeed automag from paintballgear.com is only five dollars more than the bare no barrel no bottom line no nothing from the same site. soo... it seems to be a better buy to me. The TKO mag comes with a smart parts barrel it looks like and an expansion chamber so I think I'm gonna get that one.

Kevmag
03-15-2002, 12:55 PM
That expansion chamber is likely just a gas-thru grip. Little value, except as a grip.

I spent extra for a expansion chamber on my Tippmann. I gets cold when fired quickly. It helps a little. I bought a Palmer's stabilizer reg which works well, but with the money I spent on that reg, I could've just bought a screw-in HPA tank.

Good luck.

beam
03-15-2002, 02:18 PM
If N2 isn't in your price/availability range...CO2 will be fine for you. I run CO2 on-gun with an angle asa mounted to my drop and an expansion chamber. I don't usually run into problems. Did I mention that I use this with my HYPERFRAME?!?!?! So with the stock grip frame I think you'll be fine running CO2.

cooltot
03-15-2002, 03:36 PM
I ran co2 through a remote setup and expnasion chamber on my mag for the past 2 years. I didn't have any problems with air freezing to the point where everything was malfunctioning on me. You get the right setup you won't have a problem unless it's under the most extreme of conditions. But, you could also fork over the extra dough and go HPA. Probably most economical!

uru94
03-16-2002, 06:54 AM
Thanks for your help. I think I'll go co2 then upgrade to N2 when I get more money.

drx975
03-16-2002, 08:50 AM
As long as you don't use co2 in weather less than like 60 everything should be ok. I used to use co2 on my Mag, and I never froze or ruined any o-rings. However I use a thick coil hose (thick for better flow) so the co2 sat on my side vertical. This helped co2 problems greatly. If I were you, when you get that TKO gun or whatever, buy a remote instead of a exp chamber for one reason: once you get HPA that exp chamber is useless because it actually hurts the performance (so I heard) with HPA.

So 60 degrees + remote and you should be good. I wouldnt try going in colder weather, but you may or may not want a remote.

Predater
03-16-2002, 04:28 PM
x-chamber does not hurt the use of nitro.

drx975
03-16-2002, 06:23 PM
I was told by some tourney player so I believed him. I doesnt make a lot of sense now that I think about it

PyRo
03-16-2002, 06:27 PM
Use expansion or remote with co2, don't use in extreem cold, don't hold the tank in a way that will pour liquid in and you should be fine. No long fast bursts either.