PDA

View Full Version : SuperBolt Failure...Again

Russ
03-17-2002, 03:33 PM
My new, upgraded 2nd generation SuperBolt blew apart yesterday. Just had gassed up the gun, and dry fired. Chunks of the Delrin spewed out of the barrel. This one has ~1200 shots on it. The gun was room temperature when it let go.

This will be my last SuperBolt!

Russ

CleenSweep
03-17-2002, 03:52 PM
WOW...that sux

HoppysMag
03-17-2002, 04:03 PM
well the sleves are suposed to be replaced every once in a while. i dont have one so i dont know how long they last. was this its time to go?

ThePatriot
03-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Looks like AGD has a LITTLE bit more work ahead of them. At least they got the majority of the bolts fixed, this is only the 2nd broken super bolt i have seen since the new ones came out. ALMOST there Tom, keep up the good work.

LaW
03-17-2002, 05:40 PM
I think the product is fine. Your going to see these small amount of problems from a few out there. It comes with the type of product. Mine is fine :) hehe just thought i'd say that

AngelBoy
03-17-2002, 05:44 PM
You probably just got a bad apple, theres bad apples in everything that you make. And how often do you have to replace the sleeves?

nutz
03-17-2002, 05:47 PM
angel boy-

with this product there are way to many bad apples to be a small flaw... i have no idea what it is but there is something forsure screwing up superbolts

pumpamatic
03-17-2002, 05:59 PM
I'm wondering what effect the power tube spacer has on the bolt. What size did you have in Russ?

LaW
03-17-2002, 06:08 PM
how do you explain the ones nutz that have been working fine for cases and cases??? Also angelboy I think it was 6months on very heavy use and light use like 1 year for a sleeve.... or maybe 20k shots... not sure

davej946
03-17-2002, 09:15 PM
I have noticed that on both of these broken superbolts (someone else had a 2nd Gen sb break too) the foamies are staying on. At least that problem was fixed! ;)

Later ~

thei3ug
03-17-2002, 09:20 PM
it is apparent that you have absolutely horrible luck with everything, man.

Hysperion
03-17-2002, 09:21 PM
I'd like to see how the superbolt works with that supposed "low pressure" stuff that Tom is coming out with for the sfl....

[FE]Memnock
03-17-2002, 09:26 PM
... one that's brand new?

I got mine in the mail and installed it in my 'mag. I turned down the velocity because I had heard that was a good idea due to the lesser weight. I made sure my Valve was lubed up and good to go, and gassed up my gun. 5... yes, 5 shots later, my 'bolt was delrin chunks and powder.

First off, I'm not bitter about this at all. I knew when I bought it that there was still testing and that failures were still happening. I love AGD and they have ALWAYS treated me nice. I just want to state facts so they are available to those interested. I personally think the superbold definitely needs some major work. That being said, when they fix the 'bugs', I will buy a 3rd (4th, 5th..) generation superbolt in a heartbeat... once I know they are fixed.

Keep working on it guys. When it's done, I KNOW it'll be great and will be of the same quality that we have all come to expect from AGD.

-Mem

Minimag4me
03-17-2002, 09:38 PM
how come your sb tip is bent, can anyone else see that. Thats prolly why it broke. Mine isnt slanted like that.

nutz
03-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by LaW
how do you explain the ones nutz that have been working fine for cases and cases??? Also angelboy I think it was 6months on very heavy use and light use like 1 year for a sleeve.... or maybe 20k shots... not sure

out of probably the 150 or so sold by AGD, alot have broken... im not trying to explain it, i just think theres more behind this than just bad apples

Russ
03-17-2002, 10:20 PM
I have a .225" PT spacer.

No, the tip is not bent.

I've shot about 1200 PB's, all in the back yard. I never even got to play a game with this bolt. It was one of the "annealed and reconfigured" Delrin sleeves. Oh well.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it now. It's my belief that the Delrin was overheated during the manufacturing process. That makes it brittle, and "annealing" is a poor solution to a bigger problem. When they are turned on a lathe, they MUST be kept cool. (can you tell that I'm a too & die maker?)

Of course, I will call AGD in the morning, and I have every confidence that they will make it right.

...and my Kid's GenX-3 just keeps puttin' out the paint, with no problems. (sigh)

headcase
03-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Interesting, I put another case threw mine this weekend.....that puts the total around 15 cases since December everything is still fine.

Zumina
03-17-2002, 10:21 PM
mags and delrin just don't mix.

Jordan-APL
03-17-2002, 10:23 PM
I have had no such problem like that after 2000+ shots,except for some wear i guess there is just a bad buch ehh...

AGD
03-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Russ,

Please call the factory and we will replace it for you. I also want to talk to you specifically about testing some prototypes for us.

Thanks

AGD

Russ
03-18-2002, 11:09 AM
I just got off the phone with Jon, and I'll be sending it the damaged bolt for review/replacement. I also ordered a stainless steel foamie bolt, because I installed the original E-Mag bolt in my Classic (I bought it used, and the bolt was chewed up pretty bad) This way I'll have a virtually indestructable, utterly reliable, bolt for each gun :)

Tom, how do I get in touch with you? (you weren't at the office when I called)

Thanks,
Russ

Scooter/Cootie
03-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Also Russ, what king of 'mag were you shooting with the superbolt and how long has it been since you replaced the regulator seat o-ring?

PsychoMag
03-18-2002, 11:21 AM
If i remember correctly, the bolts problem was the cold making it brittle, Russ what was the temp, since you live in Connecticut, whereas Headcase is living in Georgia where obvously the temperature is higher in the south, therefore less brittle.
Maybe this needs to be a summer/winter thing. Warm temp shoot the superbolt, winter, longnose.

This is why my Emag is all stock and it stays that way, an ounce off the bolt is no good if it makes the gun unreliable.

BlackVCG
03-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Russ, Tom is flying out of California today. Give him a call in the next couple of days.

Shaft
03-18-2002, 12:34 PM
From an engineering/manufacturing quality perspective the superbolts PPM (defective parts per million) has got to be through the roof!

Most certainly more work required.

Vegeta
03-18-2002, 12:43 PM
I think I still might get a superbolt, despite your guy's problems. I have pretty good luck with parts on my mag so far... It was a feild gun and the bolt still looks like new... not a scrath on it except a little discolorment from the spring. I the gun apart today to tinker put it back together, went out to test it, and pinched an oring, and all my co2 (almost) blew out the ASA... madee me mad.. I didn't have 30 shots on that tank.... o well

hitech
03-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Russ,

Tom had a very long 12 days on the road. When I talked to him yesterday (Sunday) he planned on taking a couple days off after flying home today (Monday). Wait a few days and call the AGD Office.

Good luck. :)

Russ
03-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.