PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy.

ChrisB
03-17-2002, 09:26 PM
There is a new idea surfacing in paintball. It states that, according to physics, the chambering of the ball has no effect on it's trajectory. Which is to say that a "PMI Premium" ball fired out of a "DYE Boomstick" from, for example, a Spyder, will have the exact same trajectory as a "PMI Premium" ball fired out of a "DYE Boomstick" from an Autococker - assuming that both balls leave the barrel at a velocity of 300 feet per second.

This, of course, is a phallacy.

The "physics" approach to paintball trajectory seems to imply that the trajectory of a ball shot from a musket is independant of the packing characteristics of the gun powder behind the musket ball.

For whatever the reasons, be they better regulation of the air pushing the ball, thus making the ball fly on a more consistent trajectory from shot to shot; spin put on the ball from different types of firing methods; or some "magic" element which I can not think of right now, a cocker just fires more accurately than a Tippman. I will not claim to know why, but I do know that it is.

-Kyle-

p.s. - don't hate me! ;)

nutz
03-17-2002, 09:30 PM
elves!!!! :D

ChrisB
03-17-2002, 09:33 PM
lol. i hear angels have a lot of elves in them. and, if you pay warped sportz $500, they will put some more elves in there. if you want to go all out, have it bonebreake'd, he will add a bunch of elves!

Predater
03-17-2002, 09:37 PM
chris, i agree. cockers just seam to be real acurate. and a shocker i was messing with today had a hell of some flat trajectru. we wer shooting it off of a spool so there wasnt any arcing of the gun. i want ansurs.

Miscue
03-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Assuming that your barrel is machined well (pretty much all current barrels are)... and you are using good paint... accuracy is dependent upon consistent velocity.

Better paint/barrel match allows for better velocity control = better accuracy.

A gun that regulates the air better and has consistent velocity = better accuracy.

A gun that is consistent at even high rates of fire = better accuracy.

Closed Bolt, Open Bolt, Different barrels (same measured bore), High Pressure, Low Pressure, Laser Engravings, Anodization, Cool Millings, ball wobble (a myth), Threaded/Twist Barrels, Bikini Models, Moving Parts, Vibration timers, yada yada... doesn't matter. One gun shooting at a different trajectory than another (ie: flat/arc)? Not possible (w/o spin) if at same velocity.

Consistent Velocity, Paint/Barrel Match, Good Paint = Accuracy.

Butterfingers
03-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Well, you are missing a few details chris :) .

Given the same velocity the trajectories will be identical. Its physics and it cannot be broken.

Lateral movement of the paintball is a diffrent story.

However, a spyder will fluctuate 20-30 fps whereas a mag or cocker may only fluctuate 3-4 fps. Between shots the velocity IS NOT identical this is what causes one gun to be more accurate compared to another. This is exactly what makes YOU be more accurate.

Packing characteristics of gunpowder in a musket can effect its velocity. The faster a ball goes the straighter the trajectory will be.

PyRo
03-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Well, what you are saying is that every blast of air behind a ball is significantly differant from the last. A muskets packing can change much more significantly then that of the blast of air behind a paintball which is very consistant.

eskimo
03-17-2002, 10:32 PM
ChrisB, what is the source? There are a lot of variables to consider the same when using two different set-ups.

The other thing is you are assuming the ball leaves the barrels of each gun uneffected, no spin, and at the exact same velocity. Assuming that, then yes, the balls will have the same trajectory, because all you have is basically the same object (PMI paintball) fired twice. The marker has no effect on the outcome. :confused:

If you roll a ball off a table and time it, it will be the same time if you were to move the table 15 feet in any direction assuming all things the same or equal. Gravity, its not only a good idea, it's the law...

soilent green
03-18-2002, 12:28 PM
well I recently saw a video shot with high speed film and slowde down it was a cocker and a mag set at right around 250fps with less than 3fps variation both with identical 12" CP barrels and paint out of the same bag and well I could notice very little difference as for consistency I can't argue my CO2 powered m98 has the same accuracy than my nitro driven mag