PDA

View Full Version : Plz help.. Its my first tournie!!!!

wicked_mag
03-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Me and two ppl i play wit r going as a team to a 3 man 17 and under tournie this weekend. I need help its our first one! I need advice, game tips, what to expect, do you have time in between games, how do u no when u r playing??? AAAAAHhh plz help me EVErybody!!!!

P.S. I'll b represtentin with my mag ;) And i need to know about this tourney lock thing, where can i get one???? do i havta have one??? I have a thumb velocity adjuster with screws on it that lock it down, will that work???? plz help!!!!!!

AngelBoy
03-18-2002, 08:04 PM
COMMUNICATION and lots of it!!! But since it is your first tourney, I would just try to get used to the tourney vibe and have lots of fun.

shartley
03-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Two things will guarantee that you win the Tournament...

Now you must do these two things EXACTLY.....

...ready?

1) Don't get marked out!
2) Mark out all your opponents!

There you go. ;)
(Note: See? I did not use the words "hit", "kill", "shoot", etc. LOL HeeHee inside joke. ;))

In all seriousness though... communication and teamwork often determine who wins. But beyond that (and other advice other members will give you) HAVE FUN! If you have fun you win no matter who takes home the trophy.

wicked_mag
03-18-2002, 08:13 PM
yea but like how is it run then will they tell us when were on???? AND DOES IT MATTER IF I HAVE A TOURNEY LOCK OR NOT WHEN I HAVE SCREWS THAT CAN HOLD MY VELOCITY ADJUSTER

xmetal2001
03-18-2002, 08:15 PM
They will probably post a schedule with the games and their times and yes you thumb adjuster thingy will work if it has set screws to lock it down.

boss_automager
03-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Make sure you walk the fields.This is very important on beating your oppenents.When your walking look for sweetspots and angles while also finding out where you are going to move.This will help you win.:cool:

nutz
03-18-2002, 08:21 PM
i dont know if anyone touched this before, but Have Fun!!!!

edit: try not to be nervous also!!

Load SM5
03-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Make sure you clean your goggles, clothes and gun of paint marks(if you need to), check and/or top off your tank, and fill your hopper and pods right after each game. That way your ready to go at a moments notice. Nothing is more stressful to have your team called to the field when you're 5th in the air line or not loaded up with paint. And if you go to the game stressed, you'll play stressed. Relax, have a good time and don't forget to move if your are'nt making a difference in the game. If you stay behind your bunker and don't at least try you might as well be shot out.

Tidbits of wisdom I learned in my first tourney a month ago.

wicked_mag
03-18-2002, 08:25 PM
ok thats all great advice i appreciate it.

Now though what bout the plan, 1 forward 2 back???? what seems to work in 3 man events? If you no ur hit u go out, but what happens if ur not sure do u wait for a judge to call u???

wicked_mag
03-18-2002, 08:30 PM
OK what is this rule bout clothes, how many layers can u wear, only one under ur jersey???

Load SM5
03-18-2002, 08:50 PM
If you feel a hit, call paint check, at the top of your lungs. A ref will come and check you out and pull your armband or call you clean. If you take an obvious hit (goggles, etc.) call yourself out and get off the field. To keep playing with an obvious hit will get you penalized.

Try not to pad yourself with clothes, dress to be comfy. Otherwise the paint will still break and you'll just be hot.

In our 3 man event we played 2 back and the center slightly forward. If it's a small field get your best shot to try and nail someone off the break. That can help open up a game really fast. Don't worry so much about the guy directly in your mirror (bad guy position opposite yours) try and work angles. Pay attention to the whole field and not just what's going on in front of you. You tunnel vision and miss something really important.

soilent green
03-18-2002, 08:53 PM
I've never played big time like NPPL but the 3 tournys I've played had no rules on clothing and I didn't need a tourny lock DON'T forget a barrel condem or you'll be paying big bucks one back at least willing to stay in the game and shoot a lot of paint once the back man is gone your hurting and expect to be betten badly some "novices" have been playing tournys for 2 years my five man got 8th out of 9 in our first and we were WAY!!! behind the winner

wicked_mag
03-18-2002, 08:56 PM
barrel condom? what bout a barrel plug???
Also when ur hit do u put ur barrel condom/plug on right away or do u wait till ur out in the staging area
Also when do they chrono u???

tysonmachado
03-18-2002, 09:01 PM
I can't say much about tactics a rules. Tactics depend greatly on your own style of play and your talents as well as the field itself and the team you are playing against. Rules are dependant upon the people organizing the tournements, you should try to contact them about any rules questions you have. Here are the sugestions I can make:

-Spend some time the day before testing your equipment to make sure it works. If you have an extra marker bring it, it never hurts to have a backup. This isn't a bad idea for goggles either. If you crack a lens you might not have time to change it.
-Pack everything the day before. This way you don't have to worry about it in the morning and you are less likely to forget something.
-Bring water and something to eat. I like to bring a few energy bars to eat between games. They are fast and easy to eat, and they don't sit heavy or slosh around in your stomach. Poor food choices can really slow you down when you are exerting yourself, espescially when you've already got butterflies in your stomach.
-Don't expect to win! Play your best all day regardless of how well you are doing and have fun. Learn from your mistakes instead of making excuses. If you worry too much about winning you're less likely to learn anything and less likely to improve. You'll also be less likely to enjoy yourself and play in more tournements.

Load SM5
03-18-2002, 09:01 PM
You need to put your plug on your gun before you leave the field. And hold your gun up above your head or you risk getting shot again. I recommend a barrel condom just because I've been shot with flying plugs in the staging area before. But check with the field on those. Plugs are still accepted at some local fields. You are responsible for chronoing you gun before you go on the field but they may be checking your speed after each game when you leave the field. Shooting hot is also a penalty so keep your speed in check. If you switch paint or barels then re-chrono.

CleenSweep
03-18-2002, 09:02 PM
My first tourny our team was all go go go. Get the flag keep moving and enjoy the rush it gives you. If you are a new team, be aggressive it can surprise the other team. You may not do great but you will have a blast. Take the time to scope out the fields remember where the good bunkers are.

Most important is to work as a team. One man may win a game but he can't win the tourny. Don't get "solo" minded.

TheBigRaguPB4L
03-19-2002, 12:33 AM
one thing i've learned about tournies is, when you're on the field, the other team is not your freinds. you're trying to get them out, and they're trying to get you out. don't go easy on them because you might like them or whatever. yell........ALOT! when the other team hear's you screaming your head off, you might intimidate them. if you get them to that point, they're done. just always yell and keep talking.

wicked_mag
03-20-2002, 07:44 PM
how much paint can i expect to shoot?