PDA

View Full Version : Need input from superbolt users

TheMagMan
03-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Just tested the superbolt vs. stock bolt in my RT Pro.

Superbolt gave me 9 chops where the bolt cut the ball

Stock bolt gave me 0 chops

I used 1 full hopper for each test same bore paint out of the same bag, Superbolt (one of the very last ones sold before they went out of stock) Preset pure energy tank 68/3k full, 12v Revy

Nothing was changed other than the bolt/spring. I shot at a normal rapid rate of fire (slower than I normally would have)

I may be selling off my superbolt because a little less recoil is not worth all the cleaning / lost games.

Does the lightened bolt make it return/fire faster with the spring? Should the spring have a little more tension? I would think that the mere weight of the bolt would affect some type of timming when fired.

If anyone else can do this same test i'd be interested in hearing the results.

TheMagMan
03-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Less then a case through it.

LaW
03-19-2002, 12:10 PM
yours looks a lot more worn then mine does and I've had over 7 cases in mine.... I chop a lot more with the foamieless then the superbolt... in fact my superbolt has never broken a ball yet

TheMagMan
03-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Maybe AGD changed the caseing during the last run of them.

LaW
03-19-2002, 12:31 PM
I got one of the last new ones...

TheMagMan
03-19-2002, 12:36 PM
I used a bit of hot water cleaning it just before the scan so that would make it look lighter in color and more used... it doesn't feel grooved like the picture shows. I think my scanner may be throwing it off as well.

LaW
03-19-2002, 12:42 PM
yeah i noticed while washing it with water hot whatever it gets whiter and looks worn out...

covadsucks
03-19-2002, 01:12 PM
Mine was an original and it great, but it's being retro fitted as I want to make sure it'll last. It was nice while I shot it. Kinda loud, but still very fast.

Chupas2
03-19-2002, 03:51 PM
when you change bolts you need to change the velocity because it will jump up if you go from stock to super and the bolt hitting at a higher velocity might be what is causeing to ball breakage

Tufiremn
03-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Chupas2
when you change bolts you need to change the velocity because it will jump up if you go from stock to super and the bolt hitting at a higher velocity might be what is causeing to ball breakage

Will the the velocity jump. I bought myself, and a buddy of mine super bolts. I shoot an RT Pro, and he shoots a Emag. With just putting in the Super bolt, and not messing with the velocity his went from 280fps, to 340fps. I turned my velocity down 1/4 turn before stepping up to the chrony, and I was still shooting over 300fps. As for the bolts, we both put around 3000 rounds (each) on them with no broken bolt, and no missing foamy.

LaW
03-19-2002, 09:49 PM
every bolt seems to be breaking in the exactly same place... and those that are not are really the biggest key to what's up....

Butterfingers
03-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Judging by the breakages, the superbolt is being crammed into the barrel stressing the delrin.

Tufiremn
03-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers
Judging by the breakages, the superbolt is being crammed into the barrel stressing the delrin.

Been thinking the same thing. Maybe Tom needs to find out what barrels are being used when the bolts break. I have seen a few broken ones on AO, and only once did the poster say what barrel he was using, and it was a Freak. Maybe too small of an insert, or there is a lip that the bolt is hitting. Maybe I'll make up a poll for this.

LaW
03-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Well I'm using a freak and have had no problems through so many cases of paint. The bolt doesn't go far enough to hit the insert. There is another thread on here about superbolts that everyone should check out if they havn't already because someone made a very good point about how they could be breaking.

anthraxxx
03-20-2002, 04:02 PM
On the off chance that you are not are you using plastic nubbins with the super bolt? This has more to do with scratching the bolt but wire nubbin might be cutting the balls as well.

Also since the bolt is lighter it would require less air to move it forward once it is released from the sear so that your which might be causing your bolt to break balls BUT I don't see why the velocity would change cause it your valve is regulated to whatever psi to fire your ball at 275 fps then the weight of your bolt shouldn't affect velocity right?

minimag187
03-20-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey Tufirenm, this is me who sold you the rtpro. Does anyone know how long it takes for the delrin sleeve on the superbolt to wear off/break?

Justin

Tufiremn
03-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Antraxx, Since the Super bolt is lighter it takes less air pressure to push it foward. This means that the pressure that hits the ball is higher. At least that's how I see it. I know the velocity increases by seeing it with my own eyes, and own Mag.

Minimag, I Don't think anyone but Tom has that info. I know that mine shows very little wear after 3000 rounds. BTW, the chopping problem was solved with an adjustable AA Apoc tank, and the double feeding was fixed with slower settings on the Warp.

TheMagMan
03-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Well ... I got sick of the paint chop and sold the superbolt

LaW
03-23-2002, 03:52 PM
chalk up another case and a half for the superbolt :) about 10 or more cases in my superbolt
yeah baby!!!!!

soilent green
03-23-2002, 06:36 PM
I never chopped but mine broke could certain gun oils affect the integrity of the super bolt? that was my thought

LaW
03-23-2002, 07:06 PM
See what i think is that the delrin they are using has no effect with oils and might make them more stick and breakable

keiphers
03-23-2002, 09:33 PM
I hope this helps. Delrin is a self-lubricating plastic invented by 3M. The sleeve on the Super Bolt is made of Delrin. Since it is self-lubricating, oil is not needed. In most cases, oil will cause the delrin to warp out of shape, or lose its strength. Sometimes even water can do this. I've shot several cases on my Super Bolt (newly redone with a 3 day turn around time by AGD!!), and it shows no wear at all. Magman must have oiled the bolt, causing it to become less strong. Plastic nubbins are also recommended by AGD. I'm using those as well. I doubt barrel could make a difference though. I'm almost sure, if you've got a newly redone or new Super Bolt, problems are caused by the user.