PDA

View Full Version : Dropforward overkill?

FeelTheRT
03-19-2002, 01:58 PM
I've seen many people use really really long dropforwards on small tanks and claim that it helps them play tighter. It's crazy. Although I used to be like that, I had a Warped Sportz cradle and had it set all teh way forward but now i'm just using a small CP dropforward. I've seen quite a few Mags with super long drops. Also having a really long drop forces you to (what John Rice would say) 'goose-neck' your rist and causes discomfert. So i'm just wondering how many of you have super cradles.

I'm talking about guns like these that have unnecissary(sp) drops. BTW i stole these from PBN.
http://www.xchemmyx.com/lcdx2.jpg
http://www.pbnation.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=463583
http://server3002.freeyellow.com/biomek/chads%20gun.JPG

dave_p
03-19-2002, 03:14 PM
i have my drop all the way out, but i also have a huge tank, so it all balances nicely.

see here: http://m-net.arbornet.org/~lorax/mag.jpg

covadsucks
03-19-2002, 03:20 PM
Ditto. I have a long Crossfire 88 on my timmy, so i use a 5" drop and 3" down to balance it out.

beam
03-19-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by FeelTheRT
Also having a really long drop forces you to (what John Rice would say) 'goose-neck' your rist and causes discomfert

Enter: The z-grip.

nuff said.

DryIce
03-19-2002, 03:25 PM
dave_p that take is HUGE

MikeCouves
03-19-2002, 03:45 PM
God I would say! Massive! Well I have a little 47 steel, and I find the drop forward's too long, I will need to get a shorter one some time this year.

iisp0tii
03-19-2002, 04:10 PM
is mine to much?!?!?!
http://hometown.aol.com/iisp0tii/myhomepage/automag.jpg

Snooky
03-19-2002, 04:22 PM
dude what person doesnt like the sp or dzII for thier tanks?

i personally have a drop for my mag. It goes to where the expac chamber is and its mucho cumfy. Anyway i love those drops and i don't think its crazy. More tucked the smaller the target.

Rrok
03-19-2002, 04:29 PM
That's just the way I have it (but with a z-grip of course)
It's definitely not overkill if you like it that way and it balances well eh?

Rrok

By the way...Nice markers!

Paintballer86
03-19-2002, 04:41 PM
I have a DZII on my 68CI 3000 Tnak and I like it. I that it is all just personal prefrence. I like the feel of the "goose-neck" wrist. But I guess I speak for myself on this subject?:confused:

magman007
03-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Is it just me? or does the angled foregrip on an angel look like over kill? (like way over kill, like backing over something multiple times after it is dead) I think there freekin ugly! they look great on cockers, but on angels there just overkill, i would like to see a z griped mag with one of those 15 degree adapters from dingo paintball, that would be interesting

Also, the drops is all your playing prefference, i like a big drop, i dont like having my cocker shouldered like a rilfe, i like it more like an mp5

nutz
03-19-2002, 05:17 PM
i think u guys need to look at this a different way... yes i agree those would be too long for me, but some one who likes it like that will do that... its all about personal prefferance, not how others think of ur drop length..

headcase
03-19-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Snooky
dude what person doesnt like the sp or dzII for thier tanks?

i personally have a drop for my mag. It goes to where the expac chamber is and its mucho cumfy. Anyway i love those drops and i don't think its crazy. More tucked the smaller the target.

I sure don't like those types for drops.

They may allow you to play closer to your marker, if you like how that feels fine, but they also make the marker way too tall. It's just crazy......I love pics of markers with dz2's 68ci tanks, and 10 inch barrels.......the set up is usually taller than it is long........too funny.

FeelTheRT
03-19-2002, 06:07 PM
I used to think that way BUT, after i tried a few guns with longer tanks you can butt them against your shoulder and have a more stable shooting position. It's espeically with machanical guns like Cockers and Mags where you need to have a more stable and firm grip or else the kick is gonna haunt ya.

e1ement5
03-19-2002, 06:13 PM
Well if your guys want to see a real long drop, look at this custom drop one of my team mates used at SkyBall 99. Its a custom piece that utilizes a shoe lace to secure the tank. I beleve the origional Warpig quote was something like : Holy Heck Look at the Drop!

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/skyball99/gallery/41.JPG

enjoy

mac2k4
03-19-2002, 06:20 PM
people say that a drop forwrd will make your gun tighter, but it really makes it taller, and right in your face. runnin off the frame even to a small person like me(i'm only 15 and like 5-5, and all my guns are like that, you get more vision w/ the gun outta ya grill, and when snap shooting your whole form is much smoother, than tryin to snap shoot w/ a big ol' drop forwrd, but hey what ever is more comfortable.
some people acctually trully are more comfortable w/ a drop forwrd, not just puttin one on cause everyone else at your local store does it...

MAGS own YOU
03-19-2002, 07:27 PM
KAPP DZ 2

GallagherAtWar
03-19-2002, 08:32 PM
What is a good drop foward for a 114ci crossfire tank??

and i whould like to off set it

and this whould be going on a z grip

Chri$$

InfinatyBPS
03-19-2002, 08:51 PM
I have a PMI Perf Drop forward, and I think it balances my cocker realy nice and even though I'm a back player, I like my gun right by my face so I can aim better. And it sets the tank to fit right against my shoulder and the top of cocker right in line with my eye, I realy think its great.

iisp0tii
03-19-2002, 09:02 PM
do u have a pic of the pmi perfect, is it like the one in mikes pic??

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
03-19-2002, 09:02 PM
mine is just fine. Of cou8rse I'm kinda small

dave_p
03-19-2002, 09:13 PM
yeah, that tank is huge! its a 110. its not that heavy tho, but heavy enough. i bought that when you had 2 sizes to choose from @68 and @114, the 110 was actually a weight and size saver!! it also cost an arm and a leg compared to what it costs now. hydros up in may. i just may have it tested sell it and buy a stubby or a 68 raptor or something. i used to go remote and play a lot of woods and didnt like wasting time running back to the trailer every 2 games. i thought i was being smart!?! now all you young guys laugh at me at the field for my huge tank!

my brother has a toughskin thats even huger, a 114!

but dropped like it is my gun is actually pretty balanced, but you should feel the shaft flex when i run!!lol

coffeyNitro, you win!! holy cow thats a long df

Zumina
03-19-2002, 09:41 PM
can you say TINY TARGET!! That's what I am with my setup!

Zumina
03-19-2002, 09:42 PM
I'm on the look out for a longer drop as a matter of fact....don't knock it till you've tried it!

InfinatyBPS
03-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by iisp0tii
do u have a pic of the pmi perfect, is it like the one in mikes pic??
yepper:D

Bartleby
03-19-2002, 09:56 PM
i guess you could call me one of those people that feel "the longer the better", because i've got the pmi perfect cradle and it's not nearly big enough. not to mention i'm only using a 68ci tank.

mattyfatty182
03-19-2002, 10:48 PM
I'm currently using a 45/45 in a CP on/off slid all the way forward on a Shocktech drop. TIIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Xzion
03-19-2002, 11:39 PM
I personally don't see anything wrong with the markers shown as examples, I like the locations of the tanks.

As for myself, I run my 'mag with a DZII on my Z-Grip with a 68CI tank. As for making it taller, I have my Warp Feed, so its going to be that tall anyways, and if anything, having the warp on makes the whole marker smaller anyway seeing as I dont have the loader above my head. You can see some pics of my 'mag via the link below my sig.

FeelTheRT
03-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Coffey and Zumina: How do you hold your guns?? I'd like to see a pic of u shooting your guns. Either your tank is not touching your shoulders and your missing every target you see, OR your head is tilted up really far to prevent the back of your gun touching your goggles.

Many people claim that it helps them tuck in tighter. But you can't hold your gun stable to shoot accuratly if you don't shoulder your tank correctly.

Look at these guys, they are playing the 50 with either no drop or with a really short drop
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/mardigras/2002/gallery/MVC275S.jpg
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/mardigras/2002/gallery/MVC234S.jpg

Look how tight this guy is playing with NO dropforward
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/tournament/mardigras/2002/gallery/MVC246S.jpg

ronron2112
03-20-2002, 01:58 PM
i have a 7" drop forward on my tippmann.. it makes my 24oz tank shoter than a 16 oz sticking out.. ahh

wyn1370
03-20-2002, 02:05 PM
I run a DZ II offset sidecar style on my timi. It works very well, keeps the tank out of the way of wrist movement.

J
03-20-2002, 02:38 PM
I have one that is 5in long, but it really only drops my stubby 68 3in, 1in down. I've played w/out it, but it really balances out the gun. But what about those df on df df guns? Those are crazy, if you did shoulder it, the gun would be on top of your head.:rolleyes:

Major Ho
03-20-2002, 06:51 PM
From my observations, it seems to me the younger guys dig the big drop fad. honestly I used to be one of those guys, I had a 68 c.i. with a DZ II. I tried another gun with a shorter almost non existent drop and loved it. I recently chopped of the rest of my DZ II so its a Kapp Stubby now :D But lets put this to real life scenario. First biggest example, rifles. Without the stock you would be shooting off into space. Either that or I would imagine you concentrating too hard and longer than you would have to zero in on the object. You dont see SWAT with their guns up at their noses. See how they march around with the stock butted up on their shoulders pivoting around and being able to snap right to their desired target. Although, there IS the MP5 with the collapsable stock used by the Navy. A bow and arrow was given as an example to me once. Something about it being stable far out there, i dunno, maybe its a bad example cuz i cant remember. To me now, a short set up is like shooting a shotgun, how accurate are those?(despite the fact they are meant to have a wide hit zone.)
I hate to be one of those guys who say, well the pros do it so should you. How many pros do you see with the insane drops? A dollar and a dime says they are more accurate with the tank butted up against them making them much more accurate snap shooting. I belive RT covered some of this already...

speedballbanks
03-20-2002, 07:02 PM
i think this is the perfect drop forward.

iisp0tii
03-20-2002, 09:04 PM
do they make any longer than the kapp stubby??? if not, i am going to get a cp lightning or somthin.

MajorDamage
03-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by speedballbanks
i think this is the perfect drop forward.
I agree! I love my flatline with stock drop! The amazing thing is that its very comfy on my zgrip too! I love it on anything I guess(even on toast! :D)! Go Flatline! :D! I once had my flatline on a psycho ballistics drop on a zgrip...if I had my 10" barrel on then the reg on the tank went farther than the barrel...I think I played that way for...1 day? lol :D

ENDO!

Ityl
03-21-2002, 08:29 AM
I like the flatline stock drop, but my gun was setup with the tank just barely sticking out from the back. This made the gun balanced perfectly and gave a really really small package when playing speedball, I played front. Here's an example of something pretty close, we made our own drops.

http://www.geocities.com/stick076/pb/mag7.jpg

Zumina
03-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Pics:

Zumina
03-21-2002, 04:16 PM
another

Zumina
03-21-2002, 04:17 PM
last one

Zumina
03-21-2002, 04:20 PM
as you can see, I don't place my head directly behind my gun, rather, off to side. I don't have a real problem with aiming as I look in a parralell line to the barrel. Pics were "spur of the moment" so excuse the shabby camera angles. I've been thinking about using the shorty bar the next time I play; who nows, I might want to traditionally shoulder my gun now.

paint king
03-21-2002, 05:39 PM
I have a Z-grip i use a warped sports drop. tank is almost even with back end of gun. Its tall but its a super tight setup. I love it.

SoupRman
03-21-2002, 06:22 PM
try a z-grip with cp flame and on/off set all teh way forward and a 45/4500 tank.

hubadlatimmy
03-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Right now for me it's a pmi perfect drop set all the way back on the bar on my cocker, I think it's prety much perfect and leaves 2-3 inches of your tank sticking out behind the gun which I think is perfect. After I sell my cocker and get my new mag WHOOO it will be a shocktech long which I think is perfect on a mag leaving just about 2-3 inches sticking out. But if anybody here has there drop set right in my opinion it's MAGS own YOU.