PDA

View Full Version : painting mag body?

Koosh
03-19-2002, 06:34 PM
I was wondering if I could paint my mag body, like how it would hold up. I was thinking maybe a black primer or something.

mikey101
03-20-2002, 12:06 AM
you could get it powder coated by some companies, but spray paint? I have no clue.

311automag
03-20-2002, 08:20 AM
powder coat should hold up really well. spray paint wont. unless you have like 50 coats of clear over it.

askman
03-20-2002, 02:55 PM
I would not try painting it unless you have access to automotive shop. You can ask your local shop, if they are painting a car, if they can spray yours as well. This will hold up fair. Otherwise, powder coating, moly or some form of oxide finish would be best. (there are oxide finish that will work on Stainless) good luck...

Vex
03-20-2002, 03:52 PM
I've painted my Minimag body--once. I used a coat of Rustoleum primer and then went over it with a coat of Rustoleum matte black finish. It has held up fine for nearly 5 years. I'm going to repaint again soon, but not because it needs it. I found a different type of paint that I think will make it look awesome. Just don't paint the inside of the body.

Oh, and I've put my gun through some hell on the field.

:D

drx975
03-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Where can I get me some of that rustoleum stuff and how much is it. Also, im a complete newb to painting a body, so could someone help me out with what I need to do. What should I not do, and whats the best way to make it look clean and smooth.

phazeshifter do you have a pic of your body? close up, if possible. if not whatever.

Koosh
03-20-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the help guys...

As soon as I get some positive cashflow I will try it, and post before and after pics...

than205
03-20-2002, 09:02 PM
Guys,
There are people on AO who will powder coat your stuff for you.
It's the best way to go.
Do a search for power coat. Please don't paint it your self. It's so worth your time and money to send it out to someone.
JMHO

Xzion
03-20-2002, 10:13 PM
If your going to paint your 'mag or have it painted. Make sure not to paint between the body and the rail, or the rail and the gripframe, the layers of paint can throw out the tolerences of the 'mag and potentially cause problems with your 'mag.

askman
03-21-2002, 08:06 AM
If you are going to try painting it yourself, you need to do the following. Good surface prep is a must. If you don't mind matt finish, it just needs to be really clean. I would also tape off all the areas that you don't want paint in. Wear latex rubber glove, use Isopropyl alcohol or thinner and clean the body thoroghly. use primer first. Don't try to coat the whole body in one shot. From distance of about 18 inches, give very light spraying. let it dry well, and do it again. It should take at least 3 very light coating to achieve a good primer. after primer is thoroughly dry, repeat the process with paint. The key is patients and use small amount of paint each time. always wear rubber glove, to keep hand oil from the surface. glossy surface required the body to be polished first....(unless you already have polished body)

soilent green
04-03-2002, 10:31 AM
don't spray paint it I did it to mine about 1 year ago I stripped it a weak later cause it comes off to easy then I used a car finish a ppg clear coat system that held up better but I just stripped that to get it powder coated by K&P customs they do good work for cheap