PDA

View Full Version : YO Tom or somone very knowledgeable about mag history!!!

wicked_mag
03-19-2002, 08:08 PM
OK i'm poloshing a mag body for a friend, i just did mine and it almost has a mirror shine! My friends i've been trying to polish to no avail. I swear i sand that thing up good and the shine barely changes! Now i'm wondering if the older style bodies were made differently, cuz i have a feeling my friends mag body s/f is an old one by the way it looks. Also on the feed its got 2 cicles really close indented into it, whats that??? Well Tom or whoever let me know soon!

boss_automager
03-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Wicked i'm sorry this has nothing to do with your problem but how do you polish a mag?:confused:

magman007
03-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Boss- you use sandpaper! you start off with a course gran and you work your way down to a really fine grain until you get your desired finish!

Wicked- did you try using a finer grain on your friends? also grab some pollish and pollish that baby up!

pumpamatic
03-19-2002, 08:40 PM
Maybe try some buffing compound, I used a combination of sandpapers and different wheels on a Dremel with some buffing compound, then finished with a polish made by Snap-On.

Tufiremn
03-19-2002, 08:47 PM
With a good buffing wheel, and differnt levels of buffing compound you should be able to get it looking almost like chrome. Sandpaper must be of extremely fine grit, and then a final wet sanding might give you results close to this. I've polished aluminum, and SS parts on cars with the buffing method, but have only wet sanded painted parts.