PDA

View Full Version : Bore- Barrel Help...

InfinatyBPS
03-20-2002, 11:15 PM
What are the 3 standard bore sizes you should have? Like what are the exact sizes for small, medium(already know its .689) and large? I have a .687 Dye SS. Would that be a medium or small, Can you give me some options for each size?

a_malfunction
03-20-2002, 11:24 PM
I would go with a .692, a .689, and a .686.

InfinatyBPS
03-20-2002, 11:35 PM
What barrels come in those sizes:rolleyes:

mykroft
03-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Well, for small bore, Dye and J&J Ceramics are good. For medium bore go SP, all theirs are .689, and large I'd go PMI Perfect.

FatMan
03-21-2002, 10:20 AM
There is no standard.

Small bore tends to be .687 or .686 medium around .689 and large around .692 or .693 there are smaller and larger barrels.

Many brands come in multiple sizes. Smart Parts has small, medium, and large bore on the All-American. Dye has Boomsticks in at least 4 sizes. Lapco makes the Autospirit which is quite small, and the BigShot which is quite large. Then there are the kits like the Freak that let you size the barrel with an insert.

If I was going to buy three barrels for a Mag I'd probably buy the two Lapcos and a third, medium sized barrel (Smart Parts or Dye probably). Since you have tight Dye, you'll want a medium and large barrel. Which ones really depends on what barrels you like but the Dye, Smart Parts, Lapco, J&J are all great barrels.

BTW, unless a barrel is marked as a particular size I'd be cautious about assuming anything with them. I've seen the same barrel in slightly different sizes - also differences when made for different guns (like cocker versus Mag). If you can, measure the exact barrel you're getting before you buy.

By the time you buy three barrels, one of the kits isn't a bad price. I've been shooting the Freak for over a year and I've really loved it.

Good luck,

FatMan