PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Paintball Field Startup Cost

Kajo
03-22-2002, 09:30 AM
Alright,

So my friends and I were thinking about talking to a gentlemen that runs the local indoor golfing dome about possibly running an indoor field this summer. It would be really fun to play in at night and such. What will we need and how much do you think it would cost? He already has the netting all put up for the golf balls and already has the fake "grass" installed on the floor. I think all he would need would be some Sup Air bunkers, a chrono, and a fill station... it would probably be a "bring your own gear" field only, just because many new timers do not want to start off right on a Sup Air ball field.

Tell me your thoughts

Thanks
Kajo out-

gothicel
03-22-2002, 09:46 AM
Just a thought, is the fake grass, astro turf??? I have never tried playing paintball on astro turf but I know I don't like them when I play baseball or football. I have had a few twisted ankles on astro turf, not fun. And beside would you image the carpet-burn that someone could get? well I don't know if you would get carpet-burn on astro turf, at least I haven't had one or seen one.

Oh yeh, a biggie would be the regular waiver to sue. I would say charge people around $10. If you got a lot of people playing then it should take care of the electrical and clean ups. oh ofcourse I imagine this will be self ref? and also probably $1 or $2 per 1000 psi for filling air.

beam
03-22-2002, 09:51 AM
I bet that astroturf gets really slippery if it has paint on it. Just a thought.

wilddog
03-22-2002, 10:12 AM
m looking at amaking a place right now as well give me an an email might be avble to help you out or vice-versa :D

SlipknotX556
03-22-2002, 11:07 AM
well I know that a 10 man airball field is 10,000 dollars and a 5 man I think is 3000 dollars. But why not just bring in some of your own bunkers? Then it wont cost as much.

Kajo
03-22-2002, 01:04 PM
Yeah,

I think the astroturf stuff could get slightly slippery, but if you had turf shoes it would not be bad at all. As far as how hard it is, football players play on that stuff and granted they do get injured, we aren't tackling each other and coming down all goofy. I have had the pleasure of sliding across tree roots, hard packed sand, and other yucky substances, I just purchased a nice set of baseball sliding pads and I am all set.

Bringing in bunkers is not really an option because well... We have no bunkers to bring in. I play ususally exclusively at Apoc down in Madison and they have all the fields setup already so I don't have to worry about messing around with field stuff. I just wanted a place to go after work and play till like midnight under the lights, that would be really fun.

I know you could setup some sort of field beside sup air, but air seems to be the best way to go indoors. It's easy to take down and clean up, the bunkers won't scratch up the playing surface or tear holes in the "rug" either.

My major concerns are the costs involved, basically

Cost of Sup Air field, chrono, and Fill Station... probably to save money it would just be 3000 psi fills, those boosters cost an arm and a leg too as I recall.

Thanks
Kajo out-

wilddog
03-22-2002, 01:27 PM
use scuba tanks and cascade off them it wil save a penny or two

gothicel
03-22-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by wilddog
use scuba tanks and cascade off them it wil save a penny or two

Cascade???

you mean one tank hooked up to another tank... and so on and so on? I don't see how that would save money? I guess I just need a picture of that setup.

kilaueakid
03-22-2002, 01:49 PM
ASTRO TURF is one of the best paintball playing surfaces!!! Where have you guys been??? Burns don't really happen as you are wearing pant's and long sleeves.

You should put on your JT pant's or whatever you wear, go to the dome, run and drop to your knees. You should slide about 15 feet!! It is great for sliding into bunkers. As far as being slippery, it depends on how well maintained it is. Where I have played, the balls are blown out of the way with a leaf blower every couple games, so it doesn't get to bad. It helps to wear good shoes too.

kila

oldsoldier
03-23-2002, 04:58 PM
First astroturf rules! you can slide like 10 feet on it! Second, use 55 gallon drums for bunkers. I played at an indoor field in MA..all turf and drums. Also, it was inside a mall, cool for people to watch! Anyway, good luck!

Snooky
03-23-2002, 08:13 PM
insurance is gonna be a big cost i would imagine.

Barrels are cheap and good. probally can get um from factories if u look.

SoupRman
03-23-2002, 08:19 PM
turf burn really hurts for the guys that dont wear jerseys and pants. experience from football.

Mossman
03-23-2002, 08:35 PM
although sup is ill, i dont see it as cost effective unless you know for a fact that you are gonna get lots of people in there.

Question, is this place currently a golfing dome? How much would rent be? Big metal or plastic drums is good, as are HUGE tires, like from a junk yard.

at my field the 2 speedball fields are a plastic drum field and a tire field. really fun

HoppysMag
03-23-2002, 09:05 PM
sup air is faily cheap now.... there is also wall ball.
heres wall ball
http://www.paintballinc.com/cgi-bin/paintballinc.storefront/3c9d34540823a6582717d82a873a0659/Catalog/8155
and heres a air field
http://www.diablodirect.com/airball_fields_frame.html