PDA

View Full Version : Freak or AA????

AssassN
03-22-2002, 08:26 PM
I am going to get a freak barrel but i don't know if i want to get the AA front or the freak. I don't care about looks or anything, i just want ur opinion on proformance.

SlipknotX556
03-22-2002, 08:41 PM
All americans have to many holes on the tip, that means more air used. Freaks have less holes so you save air.

Cypres0099
03-22-2002, 10:05 PM
This reminds me of when I was choosing what to get with my freak, oh the memories.:) I wasn't concerned with looks, I just wanted performance.

I'm not sure of the validity of these tests but they seemed to be pretty cotrolled. Bench mounted, same gun, ect...

I went with the AA.;)

Also if you are concerned with the lengths I believe that Smart Parts is making the AA tips in 12-18 inches now.

AA front test result (http://www.paintballtimes.com/2001test/freakallam.htm)

Freak Tip Test Result (http://www.paintballtimes.com/2001test/freaktear.htm)

Cliffio
03-23-2002, 11:04 AM
well the AA fronts are easier to shoot through after you have broken a ball and are quiter than the freak fronts
i also bout the AA front and i love it, but then again im a big fan of the all american barrel, imo its one of the best performing barrels on the market so why should this all american freak front be any different?:)

also smart parts now does make AA fronts in sizes 12-18 which is a big plus if you like the aa and prefer 12" barrels

holla
CLiff

Cliffio
03-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by SlipknotX556
All americans have to many holes on the tip, that means more air used. Freaks have less holes so you save air.

in reality the same amount of air is used in each shot, so the statement that the barrel will use more AIR is false, because the gun releases the air not the barrel

rx2
03-23-2002, 06:55 PM
Actually, the barrel can affect the amount of air used. If there is more porting, that means that the air is dissipated more rapidly, and thus the expansion of the air ceases, and it stops propelling the ball. If the pressure behind the pall returns to equilibrium with the surrounding atmosphere with the ball still deepr in the barrel, then the ball will no longer be propelled or accelerated by it. Instead, it is slowing down becuase of the friction between it and the barrel. As such, the blast of air needed to have the ball exit at the proper velocity will need to be higher in volume and more forceful on the ball. So, a barrel that vents all of the air with, say, 4 inches left (arbitrarily chosen) to go at the end will require less air then one that vents the air out to equilibrium with, say, 6 inches to go.
However, I do not know that the differences in porting between the two barrels would be great enough to result in a substantial difference in effeciency. Most of the air is dissipated rather rapidly.

Cliffio
03-23-2002, 07:47 PM
yes but how big could that possibly be?
yes more air, but nothing that your gonna notice
so just because it might use a tad more air doesnt mean its a bad barrel, but its just my opinoin

rx2
03-23-2002, 08:55 PM
I may not have worded things as clearly as I could have. As I said, the way that these barrels are ported, the actual difference would probably be so slight that it would not really be taken into account when deciding. If they are both the same length, there would only probably be a few shots advantage of one over the other. Still, they are both good barrels, and even if the All-American is slightly less effeicient, unless you are shooting cases of paint per week, you probably won't notice, and it certainly isn't a bad choice. However, it is still worth noting that barrels can affect efficiency, as some people hold this factor as a very high priority.

AssassN
03-23-2002, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the input. I still don't know whcih to get tho. The freak looks so cool but i have had an AA and it shot SOOOO great. I guess i need to try a freak.

FiTiRPiLiT
03-24-2002, 02:06 PM
As far as i know the aa fronts only come in 14" length. I have one and it shoots like a dream and sooooo quiet especially compared to the standard emag barrels!

Cliffio
03-24-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by FiTiRPiLiT
As far as i know the aa fronts only come in 14" length.

not this year, new in 2002 12,14,16,18 inch fronts avaiable(sp)

FiTiRPiLiT
03-24-2002, 02:18 PM
nice! as always i fall victim to buying too soon. but i'm not complaining! i luv my freak!