PDA

View Full Version : reasoning behind the twist lock barrel system

Kajo
03-23-2002, 07:51 PM
This might have been covered already, if it has someone just kindly slap me and point me to the thread.

I was just wondering what the reasoning behind the original mag's twist lock barrel system was? I mean, I thought it was a pretty nice idea but it just didn't work that well. Other then being able to get the barrel off nice and quick I hated everything else. The nubbins, the wiggling, I don't know, maybe other people liked it.

Obviously something wasn't working though because all the new mags are coming threaded all cocker like.

Just wondering
Kajo out-

Snooky
03-23-2002, 07:59 PM
I like the lock system. its easy and convient to get off. as long as had good orings and had the nubbin right they are perfect.

I think new guns from agd are coming with cocker threads cause alot of people have these barrels and don't wanna buy more barrels. its convient for some but for others like me i dont have a cocker or any barrels. maybe they are trying to standardize the market.

boss_automager
03-23-2002, 07:59 PM
The reason the twistlock is there is so the ball drops directly in the barrel.

soilent green
03-23-2002, 08:01 PM
think of the time it came out paint broke alot you needed to take off the barrel alot it is quike andI like it alot

soilent green
03-23-2002, 08:03 PM
they were twist lock before they dropped the ball into the barrel i think

Kajo
03-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by soilent green
think of the time it came out paint broke alot you needed to take off the barrel alot it is quike andI like it alot

Yeah, but when you are taking that barrel off you have paint broken in the breech. You shove the barrel back into a messy breech and it just makes more of a mess. I don't know, I am kind of convinced it was a bad idea. The barrel itself just had too many variables. I remember on my old mag I would let my friends twist it in and out sometimes, man that was a bad idea. I have seen the barrels get stuck, shave off metal, and just generally make a mess. For such a simple gun the barrel seems to be quite complex :)

Kajo out-

RATM
03-23-2002, 09:19 PM
Allows for very quick squegeeing on the field.

Vegeta
03-23-2002, 10:05 PM
Take this example: You have a gun with normal screw in threads liek a cocker. You chop a ball in the breech. You come in and take the barrel off and squeegie. but then you still haev to clean the paint out of the breech which can be a pain. Now if you have an automag, the breech IS the barrel. If htere is a chop, it happens IN hte barrel already! You might ge ta bit of paitn on the bolt but that wont hurt anything.

Kajo
03-23-2002, 10:59 PM
If the ball explodes in the breech as far as I'm concerned twist lock barrel or threaded lock barrel you are going to have a mess. That paint isn't going to be confined purely to the barrel, it's gonna shoot right up the feed tube and maybe into the loader. Either way is a mess...

Kajo out-

than205
03-24-2002, 02:37 PM
either way kajo, it's still going to be cleaner than a screw in type of barrel. And it's faster to remove.
The only one that has it over that could be (as far as I remember) is a Cocker. You remove the bolt and use a pull-thru, right? Besides since I have learned my trigger, no more broken paint. Lucky, so far.

Kajo
03-24-2002, 05:10 PM
Yeah,

The same thing you can do on a cocker you can do on an imp, remove the pull pin and just pull the whole bolt out and run a squeegee right through.

Kajo out-

pumpamatic
03-24-2002, 05:46 PM
I find that when a ball breaks in the breech and paint gets into the feed tube, I first run a squeegee thru the powerfeed, then take out the barrel and squeegee it. It usually gets enough paint out to work well again.