PDA

View Full Version : The co2 in my tank was FLAMABLE

kmilenco
03-24-2002, 04:40 PM
a friend of mine was convinved that co2 was flamable. To proove to him that it was not i opened the on/off valve on my tank and held a match in front. to my astonishment, the tank aced like a flame thrower. can someone please explain to me what the hell happened.

i have tried again since then and nothing happened. do you think the guy at True Value filled it with propane? can someone please help me? i cant sleep until i know.

The Mag Man
03-24-2002, 04:48 PM
Wow that is really strange. Somebody could have gotten seriusly hurt from that. If possible, you should sue that True Value store if they actually did fill it with another gas besides Co2.

drx975
03-24-2002, 05:42 PM
Yeah that does sound really strange you should go sue their a$$ or something, because the bolt moving inside the gun has the potential to create a spark at times. This obviously could shoot fire out of your gun. God that would be wierd.

PS. If you have the tank, find out what gas is really in there...somehow

personman
03-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Thats terrible. Paintballs are flambable.. I dont know about the ones with the advantage shell, but proball is flambable

Restola
03-24-2002, 07:41 PM
if im not mistaken (although i havent taken a chemistry class since high school) co2 CANT combine with anything chemically.

Puddleglum
03-24-2002, 07:44 PM
That's correct, Co2 is NOT Flammable. Your tank may have been filled with propane. Is there anything still in the tank?? You should really find out what was in there. That could have been really dangerous. But I know for a fact that Co2 is not flammable.

Butterfingers
03-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Was there any abnoxious smell when you fired your gun? Manufacturers add odor to propane so incase it leaks you can detect it.

Butterfingers
03-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Propane dosent have adequate pressure to cycle your gun it could have been some other gas.

Snewk
03-24-2002, 10:51 PM
thats crazy, id check into that asap and find out who filled it and give them a little heads up.

wiseco16
03-25-2002, 09:10 AM
im actually pretty sure that if you get co2 hot enough it does burn, hence a catalytic converter. im not sure if it had to do with the pressure it was under or what, but it definitly sounds weird.

Army
03-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Co2 is not at anytime flammable. It wouldn't make a very good fire extinguisher if it was....

cphilip
03-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Thats indeed the truth.IN fact it is an asphyxiant gas.

Snewk
03-25-2002, 10:59 AM
cphilip's new nick name is "mr.wizard"

FordPrefect
03-25-2002, 11:05 AM
You should see what kind of gas is in there.

But that would be hilarious(but very dangerous) if someone had that kind of gas in a Co2 tank, and when it cycled, it shot flames out of the barrel. Think of what the guy at the Chorono would think if he say flaming barrels and paintballs comeing out of a 'Mag.

Man would he do some 'Mag bashing after that: "Man, mags are so bad, that they shoot out FIRE! I'm glad my cocker only shoots paintballs. Man mags suck."

The_Vince
03-25-2002, 11:10 AM
A gas close to CO2 as in the same propertese is Argon... now i think it may have flamable properties... it looks and acts like CO2 until you add a flame..

Had it been Propane you would not be typing to us ...

FeelTheRT
03-25-2002, 11:43 AM
hrmm... guess what puts out fires in fire-extinguishers...
Carbon Dioxide (CO2).

C
/ \
O O

splat11756
03-25-2002, 12:46 PM
maybe it was filled with nitrogen????????

cphilip
03-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by splat11756
maybe it was filled with nitrogen????????

Well that won't burn either...

DJSOLID
03-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Nitrogen isn't flammable, either.

Potatoboy
03-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Nitrogen?, Inflammable?
Darn, I was getting ready to light the atmosphere ablaze...

personman
03-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by PotatoBoy
Nitrogen?, Inflammable?
Darn, I was getting ready to light the atmosphere ablaze...
Heh..
I was thinking Hydrogen.. but then again, I wouldnt know..

FordPrefect
03-25-2002, 02:17 PM
I'm not convinced that this is real, you should have the common sense that if they are filling your Co2 tank with something that doesn't look like a Co2 rig, put 2+2 together. Anyways, kmilenco was banned, so he might be making it up.

drx975
03-25-2002, 05:45 PM
If it was hydrogen and the kid lit a match in front of the gas flowing out, wouldnt that make a very big explosion? The last time I remembered learning that it was extremely extremely flammable, becuase it is extremely reactive (one electron in outer ring, needs one more, basic 8th grade science). I also rememeber hearing that someone was stupid enough to fill a hot air balloon with hydrogen (cheaper) instead of helium (more expensive) and it caused the balloon to catch on fire or explode in flames, something bad like that. I doubt it(gas in the co2 tank) was hydrogen, and I doubt this ever really happened. One last thing, kmilenco said that his friend believed co2 was flammable. Who the hell would think that? I think that this is all made up...

Gambit1106
03-25-2002, 06:10 PM
OK here is another part to the logic
How could they fit a propane fill nipple onto a CO2 tank? It is completely different threading along with different diameters. Also if i remember correctly (last time I filled my grills tank) it should be reverse threaded.

Darren

PyRo
03-25-2002, 06:29 PM
right...

kutter
03-25-2002, 06:54 PM
DRX975, that balloon thing, I think it was........Oh yeah, The Hindenburgh! Thats it!:D Just kidding, actually if memory serves, Germany was going to have the hydrogen in the Hindenburgh replaced with Helium here in the states that trip since it was in very short supply in Germany.

max-mag
03-28-2002, 09:13 PM
if you took it to a welding store to get it filled, there's a chance that some idiot welder filled it with Oxy-acetilene, i KNOW that is flammable. and if it was nitrogen, if you let the N2 out slow, it would feed the flame, but i dont think it would cause an flare-up.

max-mag
03-28-2002, 09:18 PM
o ya, and how could nitrogen be flammable? it makes up more than 70% of our atmosphere. if you light a match, does it explode and burn your face off? our atmosphere isn't naepalm. I highly doubt this happened.

Lorquas
03-28-2002, 11:04 PM
What about argon? or does that just get to high temperatures?

BlackVCG
03-28-2002, 11:34 PM
Argon is safe. It's more dense than air, so it would be a good air source, but it's too expensive in comparison to CA.

Tufiremn
03-29-2002, 01:18 AM
First off there is no way you could put Propane into a C02 by mistake. The propane output is male, and the threads are wrong. As for Acetylien, this is not possible either as all the fittings are reverse threads. Argon is non-flamable, as it's used as a shield gas in welding. Oxygen will produce the same flame as discribed, but I don't see True Value having it, nor C02. I think this joker is full of it.

As for Propane igniting in the breach, this isn't possible either, as the mixture would be too rich, even if the bolt did produce a static charge. There is something known as LEL (lower explosive limit) and UEL ( upper explosive limit) The gas needs to be inbetween these two in order to ignite, and the gas in an inclosed breach would be above the UEL. Kinda like a carburator that is running rich, your car won't run due to too much fuel.

DJSOLID
03-29-2002, 09:04 AM
I would like to know where that tank was filled to substantiate this. I think this is a lie.

magman007
03-29-2002, 05:42 PM
ok lemme straighten this out. ARGON is an inert gas, it will not burn no matter what you do to it. Argon is placed in lightbulbs to prevent em from burning out the second you turn them on. argon will not burn. I believe it is all made up

phish
03-29-2002, 07:56 PM
if i had ready access to argon, could i fill my hpa tank with it and not risk valve damage? I have a massive tank of it for welding that i can get filled for like 25 bucks.

DJSOLID
03-30-2002, 08:24 AM
Dunno - I bet Tom Kaye would know though. If anyone had experimented with other safe gas systems, It would've been him. That's interesting, because I also have a tank of Argon for my MIG welder that I had never thought of using, but could, conceviably.

J
03-30-2002, 02:27 PM
This was discused in Deep Blue, I'm pretty sure you can use argon. The only reason people don't use it is because it is more expensive to fill.

Ack
03-30-2002, 02:52 PM
Did you ever put the reg pin in on a new tank and smell the expended air (I know I'm weird.. but I did this w/ a HPA tank)? It smelled as though there was perhaps something placed inside the tank during manufacturing.. if the additive was petroleum based (oil/solvent) when you lit it... presto fire. Which would explain why it wouldn't do it afterwards since the flammable liquid (which was misted during the first opening) wouldn't be present. Of course this would mean your tank would have to be pretty new or my theory sucks :rolleyes:

phish
03-30-2002, 07:15 PM
i'll give it a try with the argon, i'll report back on performance