PDA

View Full Version : multiple piece barrel question

Blennidae
03-24-2002, 05:03 PM
OK, I'm thinking about buying a new barrel. I haven't bought a barrel since back when having a multiple piece barrel meant you tripped and broke yours in half.

Before everyone screams "get a freak" keep in mind I really don't want to go to the hassle of sizing each time I buy a case. I tend to buy "good" brand name paint, not the cheap stuff.

I'm looking for opinions on good "all around" barrels. I don't like the really long ones, 12" and under. Are multi piece barrels signifcantly better than one piece? Is the "boomstick" all hype, or not?

Anyone have any real world experience with this brand:
http://www.equationusa.com/ms/index.html

What is the bore of the stock Emag barrel, and is it OK, or is it in serious need of replacement?

Thanks

athomas
03-24-2002, 09:58 PM
I have an equation multiple switch barrel. It works very well. Everyone around me is amazed at the accuracy of my mag. I bought mine before the stainless inserts were released so I have three separate backs for three different sizes. I don't know how hard it is to clean after a break though, because I have never broken a ball in it.

If you are always using one brand of paint, just start off by buying the barrel insert to match that paint size.

I highly recommend this barrel.

athomas
03-24-2002, 10:01 PM
I forgot to mention that the original mag barrels were around .693" id which fit the old RPS paint quite well but is large for most of the paint manufactured today.

jurassic
03-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Even the more expensive brands of paint may not be the same size from one batch to another. That is why it is good to have several barrels with different IDs or an insert setup like the Equation Pro sys. or the Freak setup to match the paint for best consistency and shot groupings.

Kevmag
03-25-2002, 12:26 AM
For my C98 and it broke paint like mad. Paint to barrel match seemed fine... Others swear by their the boomstick so I'm not sure if it was my barrel...

I'm using the SP Tear Drop and it seems fine. I always shoot PMI Premium and it matches well...

Good luck.

splat11756
03-25-2002, 12:58 PM
i think with a two peice barel you will get alot more breaks, thats what i have seen in freaks and dyes. boomy is good but not worth the money, i would suggest a 12 sp teardrop

covadsucks
03-25-2002, 01:01 PM
Rick,
when we finally get a chance to go play, you can shoot my Boomy, J&J 2piece and any of my other mag barrels. That way you can decide which style you want more. I'll throw my freak on my Timmy too so you can get an opinion of that as well.

paint king
03-25-2002, 04:11 PM
I have been in contact with a equation barrel deal and he let me test and sold me a system for my mag. Okay for 180 bucks you get any color back any color middle (ported or unported) and any color front and all the inserts. In my opinion the inserts on this barrel are much better then the freak. They dont dent because they are a teflon stainless combo or something like that. The barrel shoots absolutely great and i like it just as much if not more then my brothers freak. I highly recomend this barrel to anyone. If anyone is near the Vermont area and would like to get together for a day of paintball and test it out be my guest. Glad i could help.

PyRo
03-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Stock mag barrels are .691

Poseidon
03-25-2002, 08:57 PM
I have a freak. I love my freak. I have not yet had a barrel break. I have had chops, but not barrel breaks. I like the freak over some of the other systems for a few reasons:
1. You get 8 sizers (you probably won't ever use some of them but you know that you have them if you ever need them)
2. You can buy a new back for your back up gun for $50 rather than buying a hole new set of backs that will cost well over $150 depending on which system you have.
3. It's cheap.
4. Broomsticks cost like $100, and you only get 1 barrel! Screw that.