PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 68Automag

Linkage
03-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Ok everyone...I'm new..and I'm looking to upgrade my 68automag. What should I upgrade and what order should I do it in to get the biggest bang for my buck. (retro valve, main body, grip etc.

Thanks

virus
03-24-2002, 11:40 PM
hi an welcome to AO

as far us upgrades go they dont need much

barrel(s) to match the paint you use
switch over to compressed air, esp if you play in colder weather
then the rest is up to you..... being the retro, warp, grip of choice and any eye candy you want

Quiet
03-26-2002, 05:26 PM
The first thing to get is HPA. After that it might depend on what you play; rec, front, back???

marley618
03-26-2002, 05:37 PM
I was just wondering if liquid CO2 hurts the valve. I am saving up for nitro but i don't want to buy and expansion chamber because that will just make it take longer to get nitro. Is there anything i have to worry about using CO2? Oh yeah, I'm not going to be playing in cold weather, it's already getting warm here and I'll have nitro before it gets cold again.

athomas
03-26-2002, 05:50 PM
First, get a revolution agitating hopper.

The overall best upgrade I ever did with my mag was to switch to compressed air.

The next upgrade should probably be a good barrel that matches the paint you are using.

Then a good two finger grip frame is recommended. This helps with the short stroking problem. Spend the extra money and get the intelliframe the first time.

If you have a significant problem with short stroking and the resulting shootdown, then upgrade to a retro valve. If you don't have this problem then save your money, you don't need a retro valve.

Now your ready to roll out some hurt on the opposition.

You may also want a forgrip to help aiming and stability, and a drop forward to help balance the gun with the heavier air tank and make it more manuverable and easier to shoot.

AdrenalineMag
03-26-2002, 08:41 PM
i never ran my mag on co2, it was pure premium flatline air since the beginning. I would say nitro is a rather important upgrade as far as any tourney level gun goes (anything thats not a cheap aci blowback clone). My list of mag upgrades in order of importance would be 1. Revvy (or other electric hopper) 2. Nitro system 3. Good barrel to match paint 4. Foregrip 5. Whatever else you feel like getting, id suggest a trigger frame, otherwise its up to you, your imagination is the limit.

Linkage
03-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Great Info, Thanks.

1. Barrel - Not sure what kind I have because I bought the gun used but I'd say it's about 14in and has spirel holes going around and through it. (I like it so far)

2. AIR - I switched to compressed air because the C02 was killing my O rings during rapid fire. Is there any difference between Nitro and compressed air...if so, what are they.

3. Grip and Valve - Not sure about the trigger thing...definitely wanted to go with the intelliframe, but how does that affect whether or not I go retro. Basically I want to increase my rate of fire, but I hear you saying going with the retro valve isn't neccessary. Can I get any more explanation on this.

4. Hopper and Mainbody - Also, I was looking at the main bodies and I can't stand the hopper sticking so far out up and to the right. Can I buy a warp feed main body with out buying the warp feed right away, or do I have to have the warp feed in order to get the hopper out the way....give me some feedback.

5. Money - Oh ya can I do any of this with out spending all of my money....ahhaa

That's all I can think of right now...

Thanks

Linkage

athomas
03-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Sounds like you may have an All American barrel. If so, they are exceptional barrels. I have used one and they work fairly well even if you don't get a good barrel to paint match.

Many people refer to compressed air as nitro. I don't know of anyone that actual fills with "nitro". There wouldn't be enough difference in performance to justify the hassle of finding a place to fill your tank with nitro.

The intelliframe, won't affect your ability to go retro other than draining some cash from your pocket. LOL. The intelliframe is one of the best double finger frames on the market. If you want to increase your rate of fire, this is the way to do it, unless you want to go electric. A good two finger trigger frame helps you get a better pull and release of the trigger which is essential to prevent short stroking of the mag valve.

Short stroking is caused when you pull the trigger, don't completely release the trigger, and then pull the trigger again. Without completely releasing the trigger before the next pull, the on/off valve doesn't open to recharge the front chamber of the mag. When you pull the trigger the second time, to release the sear, there isn't enough gas to shoot the ball and the gun "coughs".

The retro valve helps because it recharges five times faster than a standard AIR valve. This means that even if you are guilty of short stroking, the brief time that the on/off is open while you partially release the trigger, is enough time to recharge the front chamber, and you get a good shot.

If you get a good pull on the trigger, both valves will outperform your ability to pull the trigger rapidly without shootdown. Actually, both valves have the same lbs of trigger pull. The retro valve kicks the trigger back with more force though.

My advice would be to get the intelliframe. You'll want it even if you do decide to go retro in the future. Try it, if you don't have a short stroking problem (many don't with this frame), you may not need to go retro at all. A good frame is critical if you want to be able to pull the trigger faster

I don't know much about the warp bodies though. I do have a hopper left powerfeed body and love it. I sight down the left side of the body with my right eye and the hopper barely sits above the top of my head in the center of my body.

Hope this helps.

Predater
03-26-2002, 11:19 PM
i used to think the retro was a mag valve with kick. now i use a rt and wouldnt dream of playing with an air valve again. the retro will actuly make it whare you can fire full auto at will with the right input. you just have to be carefull to not outshoot the hopper. if you want insain fast firepower get the retrovalve.