PDA

View Full Version : anybody have pics of the internals of a fill nipple?

jdrotert
03-25-2002, 09:03 AM
I bought a used Raptor tank and had to get it recertified. I completely cleaned the regulator while the tank was out getting certified. The fill nipple DOES NOT have a check strut (as Air America calls it). I believe the last owner removed the fill nipple at one point and lost the check strut (or check valve). My local store is out of fill nipples and the only online place I can order a fill nipple (that I found) charges $7 for shipping for a fill nipple and fill cover!! I found a pic of the internals of a fill nipple here (http://www.xtalwind.net/~trilight/filloring/). I plan on machining a check valve (because I can make one faster than I can drive to get one and my father owns a machine shop) and getting an o-ring from the hardware store, but does anyone else have pics of the internals of a fill nipple?

dave_p
03-25-2002, 09:12 PM
i was gonna pull my nipple and take a photo for ya but is seems everytime i repair the nipple seems i lose a thread in the reg so i avoid taking it apart unless leaking.

most nipples arent as nice as the one in the picture you have, most ive seen look like a round head rivet with an oring slid down the shaft, head faces the inside of the reg. best bet is to just order one.

jdrotert
03-27-2002, 11:09 PM
I've looked everywhere. Name one. The closest I found was on Air America's site. It was a drawing and VERY fuzzy at that.
Anyway, I broke down and bought a fill nipple tonight (my local store says they didn't have any though on the phone).