PDA

View Full Version : Here's an idea that'll get banned from NPPL the next day...

Gambit22
03-25-2002, 02:54 PM
...I never really bothered to tell anyone that I have thought of this, since quite obviously the gadget will be outlawed like FA very, very quickly.
Why not have an IR sensor with an concentrated IR beam projector mounted under the barrel?When the "dot" of the IR beam will be on the target with a heat signature of a human, the firing mode will be enabled. When the targeting "dot" will be on a different object, the firing mode on the marker's circuit board will be blocked.

FordPrefect
03-25-2002, 03:54 PM
I'll tell you why no one will do it. BECAUSE WE SPENT SO MUCH $$ ON ELECTRONIC PAINTBALL MARKERS THAT FIRE REAL FAST. So there is a thing that shoots when someone gets in the sights, we'd have spent to much money.

Also the paintball manufactorers would get mad.

The main reasons that it won't work are:

1. Refs. Refs have the same "heat signature" that regular players do. At the break, the refs will get hit so much.....:p

2. Accuracy. Paintballs are terribly innaccurate. Maybe if the eye made it shoot like 3 times, but otherwise...

FooTemps
03-25-2002, 04:04 PM
That would be really lame. There would be no way to give cover fire to keep people in their bunkers. Also, shooting one shot on detection is lame. The paint would probably miss. If it shot like full auto when it sensed the signature then it would be pretty cool but darn cheap.

Gambit22
03-25-2002, 04:05 PM
...speedball fields are SMALL. Besides, since when did people care about accuracy?"It fires when you're aiming at the guy!Let's all waste money on it!"

Gambit22
03-25-2002, 04:18 PM
...that it shot only ONE shot on detection. I said that it enabled you to to fire upon detection.

Rock Star
03-25-2002, 07:02 PM
That would make paintball so easy. heck a; yu need to do is lay your gun on the groud and have a spot of tea.
-jared

Gambit22
03-25-2002, 07:26 PM
...but I'm thinking that the IR technology could be adapted to make a sight.

Predater
03-25-2002, 07:35 PM
you can buy lazer sites that auto adjust for yardage once a arc trajectery of the paint is programed in. there expencive but do pritty much what you want.

Lorquas
03-25-2002, 07:52 PM
you said that it would enable you to fire when the sight is on.. so you can't fire when you aren't aiming at somebody? that saves paint, but how do you force move somebody, or keep their heads down by just flinging paint in their direction?
I got an idea thats sort of adapts your idea into something else.. you put a camera on the bottom of the barrel, and with a little screen (on the side of the marker, or in a HUD mabye), it can show you whats around the corner. Much more simple, like an electronic camera with the view screen. This will probably be banned too... :(

FordPrefect
03-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Heres a situation. You are a back guy, giving cover fire. On the break, someone runs down the tape. You watch to make sure that they are going to make it, and that they aren't getting shot at to much. Opps, you pointed your marker at them for about a half a second. Well, they're out. After everything has cooled down from the break, and no one has done anything yet, you still have 2 guys in front of you. You have to bring your marker up to shoot at someone, but while you are bringing it up, you shoot another one of your guys in the back.

Get the picture?

MidnightRider
03-25-2002, 09:49 PM
I do believe Fordperfect that you do not quite yet understand what he is getting at.

This new device would not actually fire the gun. It acts like a "safety". You could pull the trigger all you want when pointing at a bunker but no paint will be fired. But get a heat signature and your "safety" will disengage and you can fire as much as you can pull the trigger. As soon as you lose the signature the "safety" kicks back in and all you are left doing is pulling the trigger with no response.

Now you can end-run this whole system by placing you own hand in front of the sensor. But if the sensor is at the end of the barrel then you would have to put your hand there intentionally and thus there would be no unintentional shots.

This is my interpretation only of what has been said. If I am way of base, be free to tell me.:D

Peace.

MR

bjjb99
03-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Um. What exactly is the "heat signature of a human" anyway? Are we talking about a specific spatial distribution of thermal radiation, a specific thermal spectral pattern unique to humans, or what?

It is an interesting concept. I figure it will cost at least (very likely much more than) $5K per unit.

BJJB

PaintSniper02
03-26-2002, 09:20 AM
back to the seeing around corner thing. just mount a swivleing mirror on your marker so that u can stick just your marker out while aiming off the reflection of the mirror.

but even if that worked i wouldn't use it

Top Secret
03-26-2002, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking, NO. It's just something else to go wrong. I have enough trouble with batteries, you think I want a IR beam that determines whether or not the gun shoot? Now i would be up for a thermal vision so i can see through bunkers. :D

athomas
03-26-2002, 01:52 PM
The biggest flaw in the equation is that most of the time you have to lead your target. It isn't very often that a player stays in one spot long enough for you to take a straight shot at him. Most of the time you lead or guess when a player is coming up/out of his bunker. Other times he is already moving and you have to lead your target so that the ball gets to a spot at the same time as the target. By having a safety device that only permits the gun to fire when it is aimed at the target means that the player just has to keep moving to avoid getting hit. The paintball will arrive where the player was, not where he is going to be.

Gambit22
03-26-2002, 03:12 PM
...necessarily a bad thing, this means that the tourney players will actually start moving rather than sitting behind the bunker shelling out paint.

PyRo
03-26-2002, 03:32 PM
It would cost alot, refs would get shot alot, friendly fire incidents would be more common, and you couldn't cover fire somewhere were there was no heat signature.

Pand0ra
03-28-2002, 05:18 PM
You should try to get a heat signature in the middle of the day, when the sun is shinning and it's 40°C+ on the ground. You'll never fire a ball :)

CRiZO
03-28-2002, 09:37 PM
ya, here in texas, during the summers human heat signitures are cooler than the surrounding air.

Person:96f
Air:105f
heat index:120

Gotta love this state!

I have an idea, why not a warp seeking barrel?? It'll find a person, stretch around their bunkers, and you can shoot them from behind!....:rolleyes:

BTAutoMag
03-28-2002, 10:40 PM
uh im pretty sure if i see someone that i wanted to shoot was in front of my barrel i would be capable of pulling my own trigger.

BTAutoMag
03-28-2002, 10:43 PM
and by the way... lets not help the machines take over the world shall we

Cypres0099
03-30-2002, 10:09 AM
I thought I'd add that it can't be called a "safety", but instead a "reverse safety":p Let's make the gun so it will be able to shoot when it sees a person.:D

einhander619
03-30-2002, 07:24 PM
While we're on the subject of technology that becomes pointless the second you move out of newbiehood, chew on this - The IR3's have communication from gun to gun, and gun to palm pilot, so you could have someone on the sidelines beaming you the other team's locations! (Don't chew me out for this, I am totally kidding and merely wasting your time.) Also, wireless internet! Buy movie tickets and get stock quotes on your angel IR3! Service starts at $39.99/mo.

einhander619
03-30-2002, 07:30 PM
$1,600 for a marker? What a bunch of idiots... My entire setup, everything, cost me under a grand and I smoke angel shooters left and right. I guess if they have some kind of emotional problem it's understandable, maybe they got beat up alot as a kid and went into late puberty...

BTAutoMag
03-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by einhander619
The IR3's have communication from gun to gun, and gun to palm pilot, so you could have someone on the sidelines beaming you the other team's locations! (Don't chew me out for this, I am totally kidding and merely wasting your time

its true... not the palm pilot part but the new IR3s do have communications from gun to gun. my dealer called and was asking about them. but seriosly whats wrong with those trigger guards i mean, hello, overkill, discusting, ewww

FordPrefect
03-30-2002, 08:44 PM
BT, the IR3's have communication devices in them. The markers have to be in safety mode to send(or receive) messages. You only have 4, preset messages to send. I think I made my point.

BTAutoMag
03-30-2002, 08:49 PM
hey i didnt say anything about talking to each other while playing. i was just commenting on the fact that its stupid to put in a paintball gun. also on the fact that the trigger guard is hidious

BTAutoMag
03-30-2002, 08:54 PM
I just thought of this

Originally posted by Gambit22
When the "dot" of the IR beam will be on the target with a heat signature of a human, the firing mode will be enabled. When the targeting "dot" will be on a different object, the firing mode on the marker's circuit board will be blocked.

What if its a really hot day outside... for example 98 degrees. would the gun just go full auto the min you took the saftey off?

Bartleby
03-30-2002, 10:03 PM
paintballs don't move that fast, it's not as if when the trigger is pulled the ball instantly hits the target. unlike a real gun you have to lead the target. if it fired when a target is sensed then you would miss everytime...

SeigneurDeVoodoo
03-31-2002, 08:24 PM
You guys are missing a really big factor....The fact that 80% of the time you must arch your barrel anyways to hit the target...so this makes back players useless. I mean you'd only be able to hit people within a short distance.(Example:Your team mates! )

xmetal2001
03-31-2002, 09:42 PM
intresting idea, but one problem with that is alot of times in paintball you arent neccisarily shooting at a person, often times just shooting in front of them, to the side, or just completely someplace else for some strategic reason.

Actually, im just too lazy to read all the posts inbetween the first and mine, so the subject may have completely changed but...i just thought i'd bring this up.

KamikazePenguin
03-31-2002, 09:46 PM
also, especially for back guys, when you shoot at a target very often you are leading the target if they are running. If you pointed your barrel at your target while they were running the valls would consistently fall 10-15 feet behind the target. It's an interesting concept, but not feasible for paintball use. The whole point of safeties is to make sure noone gets shot unintentionally...if it activates when pointed at someone it's purpose as a safety is null.

joeyjoe367
04-01-2002, 01:31 PM
How About a suit that you hopped in, and it played paintball for you?

:rolleyes:

Just play the damned game. I don't think technology should make up for lack of skill.