PDA

View Full Version : velocity locks

Soot
03-25-2002, 06:29 PM
hey, i was wondering how those KAPP or Benchmark velocity locks that go on the back of the valve work. Thanks

PyRo
03-25-2002, 07:17 PM
What you do, is you set your velocity to whatever you want. Then you screw the lock on the exposed threads of the velocity ajuster. After that, there are two screws on the tourny lock that you tigheten with an allen key. When they are tightend you cannot turn up the velocity without loosing them, which much be done with an allen key.

Poseidon
03-25-2002, 08:58 PM
I have one. I don't use it. 'Nuff said.

than205
03-25-2002, 09:09 PM
My question is (honestly, I wanna know) if your not a tourney player, do you really need one?
Could/does the velocity adjuster move on its own over time?
The reason why I ask is this. My teamate can go from play date to play date and not have to adjust his velocity. The only time he has to adjust his velocity is if there is a different field speed requirement. It seems to me that I've seen him go half or most of the season without adjusting his velocity.
Where as I have to adjust almost every time.
Anyone else? Did you add a tourney lock and did it make a difference?

Soot
03-25-2002, 10:00 PM
thanks for the information. i don't have one, i just like how they look for some reason.

Poseidon
03-26-2002, 03:53 PM
It shouldn't back in our out during the corse of the day. It should be set at the same spot every day, aslong as you don't touch it. A verying factor in velocity, is the paint to barrel match. If it's not tight you will be shooting slow compared to the day before, or if it's to big, you will have turn it up. Another reason may be Co2, it fluxuates throughout the day as tempature increases and decreases.

krafty
03-26-2002, 05:03 PM
If you're not playing in tourneys, or playing at a field requiring velocity locks, then you don't need one. Unless you want one, of course! :)

Poseidon
03-26-2002, 05:12 PM
mmost tourneyments just require you to have a velocity ajuster that you cannot ajust by hand. Only by use of a tool (allen key). No tourneyment that I know of will stop you from playing for not haveing one.

PyRo
03-26-2002, 05:17 PM
Most tourys won't let you play without a lock on a regular automag. If you degas the gun you can grab the thing and turn it up by hand. I personally don't know any fields which require it, but some may.

Poseidon
03-26-2002, 05:30 PM
I dunno, there may be a few tourneyment that require it but I have never heard of that problem.

Has anyone ever not been able to use there mag because they haven't had a velocity cap on it?

PyRo
03-26-2002, 05:36 PM
Maybie some local tournies you can get away with it, but not at any major ones. You don't need a cap for the retro valve, because you cannot screw that by hand.

iisp0tii
03-26-2002, 06:49 PM
my velocity nut unscrews everygame, that is why i am getting a velocity lock. i think it is because i have a shocktech regulator.

PyRo
03-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Yeah, that could be a bad thing. If you have the stock reg back, use it. You won't have the problem with it backing out anymore (unless it is a problem with the nut itself). Also, the shocktech doesn't help out at all with flow or anything that they claim it does.

MikeCouves
03-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Weird, I haven't noticed mine backing out at any time. Well all my local tourneys didn't care if I didn't have a lock. But if you have a lock, and your velocity is backing out, isn't it useless? Because even with a lock can't it go back but not forward?

PyRo
03-26-2002, 07:35 PM
It makes it alot harder to back out, ive tried before, not real hard but gently tried backing it out, and it didn't go.

iisp0tii
03-26-2002, 07:53 PM
well my valve is 8yrs old, so i dont think the holes lined up then. i dont have the old reg. because i traded my cocker for it. i wish i did have it though! all i need is $200 and im going to get a retro valve!