PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating question?

56kSomeGuy
03-25-2002, 06:34 PM
I wanted to know some things about powdercoating since i am thinking about powdercoating my gun.

Q1. Where can i get my gun powdercoated making it look almost like an anodized green?

Q2. Does the powdercoating last a long time or does it slowly scrape off by ware and tear?

Q3. Is there anyway i can do the powdercoating myself?

Q4. can anyone post some pictures of powdercoated guns so that i can see what powdercoating looks like?

Clare
03-25-2002, 08:18 PM
talk to redrider, he does a real good job on powdercoating and should be able to help you out

Redrider87@aol.com

Prezents
03-25-2002, 08:59 PM
I have had some work done by Ken at PK Customs. do a search and I am sure you will find some links.

Vegeta
03-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Q1: Anodizing and powdercoating are two very diffrent things. Anodizing is applied to bare aluminum and gives a shiney, colored metal look. Powdercoating is basically much like the mag standard body, only in colors. Its not shiney but does give the gun character.

Q2: It will scrape off, but only if you really abuse you marker (drop it on the concrete, scrape it getting it out of a metal case, braided hose rubbing against it a while) but not easily. It can stand being dropped in the dirt. Most marrs can be cleaned off with solvent or a wet rag.

Q3: Yes, the process is like anodizing and requires electricity. The part is chared with a positive charge, and the substance going onto the gun with a negative charge. I am not sure of all teh details but I also belive the part has to be baked in an oven afterwards. Look aroudn hte net for instructions.

I tired my best, I do not know alot about it... but I belive all that is accurate.

Fred
03-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Ken's business is named K&P Customs... PK Selective is a big annodizer out in Cali, Ken is in the Detroit Area... :)

He does some really cool stuff, for fair prices. Check his site out: http://www.kpcustoms.net/index3.htm

Powdercoating doesn't last as long as anno, and it's not as hard, but it looks good and costs a lot less. :)

---Fred

LaW
03-26-2002, 12:20 AM
if you want a powdercoating closest to anno go with a translucent pc'ing

56kSomeGuy
03-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Another question will the powdercoating cover up all the scraches on my gun? I want to make it look brand new again.

PaInTbALL zAcH
03-26-2002, 07:41 PM
itll cover up the scratches. K&P customs can make them look anodized. Actually powdercotaing looks better longer than anodizing.
www.kpcustoms.net

redrider87
03-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Yes Powdercoating will cover up most if not all the scratches.. I can do all sorts of good stuff. Let me know. REDRIDER87@aol.com