PDA

View Full Version : cutdown classic feedtoob

magplayerr
03-25-2002, 07:00 PM
what is the correct way to cut down the standard feedtoob?
Do you have to sand it after and is there a special kind of saw to use? What amount of length should be cut off? Thanks for the help

speedballbanks
03-25-2002, 07:14 PM
from what i read is that you are not suppose to and this is coming directly from agd. the reason they made the feed tube that long was not to annoy you buit to make it so you can't chop your finger off because mags are high pressure it will (on my brother's mag) i stuck a stick down the feed tube with no barrel and shot it and (might i add the stick was just off of the tree abuot a 1/2 inch thick) chopped it right in half and shot it about 15 feet.so i suggest you leave it.

theraidenproject
03-25-2002, 07:19 PM
isnt it also that length because mags need a ball stack? thought i heard that here before.

speedballbanks
03-25-2002, 07:27 PM
yes i believe i have heard that too.... but he is new so we will forgive him ;) yeah just don't cut it cope with it until you get a powerfeed.

Cardinal_Biggles
03-25-2002, 07:34 PM
I've cut down my feed tube. What speedballbanks says makes sense, but as long as you don't let your two year old play with it while gassed, it should never be an issue. Some people say you shouldn't cut it down because it will shorten the ball stack, and there have been countless debates in deep blue aboout the effectiveness of a stack, but I did it anyway and it didn't seem to hurt any.
I used a bench vice to hold the body and cut it with a hack saw. The length I would suggest cutting it to is to where your hopper elbow just clears the exhaust hole in the tube. To do this you put the elbow all the way on the tube, then mark with a pencil where it ends. Measure the distance from the mark to the end of the feed tube. Erase that mark and measure that length up from the hole and mark it. That's where your cut should be. Sorry if it's too confusing, but there isn't a much better way of explaining it. The only real benefit of doing this is that you have a slightly lower and more compact profile. I just thought that long tube sticking out looked kind of akward. Hope this helps.

http://www.nventure.com/rkr/nelson/mag/cmag4.jpg

You can see in this image what I'm talking about.

magplayerr
03-25-2002, 08:12 PM
i already know of the issues of the ball stack and how it helps the balls from coming back up the feed tube. i wouldnt ever stick my finger down it so i dont think thats a problem. i just cant stand how high it is so i want to cut it and if i dont like it ill get a new body. i think this newbie stuff is really dumb i might be new to the form but i work as a gun tech and am very noligable about many guns. Thanks cardinal_biggles im gunna do what you said and see how it turns out.

Timmy63
03-25-2002, 08:18 PM
I was able to use a very high-tech machine called a wire EDM. What it does is cut with a wire about 3 time the thickness of a hair which comes out to be .009". This process is done underwater and the wire shorts out on the material due to the high electrical current running through the part and wire. The wire doesn't actualy touch the part, the arc burns away the material! It is a very slow process but is extremely acurate and realy cool. When it is done there is no need to deburr or sand the edges, there is no burr left like when you use a band or hack saw.

Sorry if that bored you but it's realy a neat machine.

As far as how much length to take off, I take off .680" which is the theoretical size of a paintball, but we all know that isn't true!

Oh yea, I've never done a clasic mag only powerfeeds. I don't know if it makes a difference.

Goldie D Pimp
03-25-2002, 08:19 PM
You aren't very knowledgeable about the shift key or spell check though? :):)

I whacked my tube off just enough so that the universal powerfeed I put on it would sit flush against the gun body. Probably about 1" or so. I just used cutoff wheels on the old dremel.

speedballbanks
03-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Goldie D Pimp
I whacked my tube off.

hahahahahahaha i catch everything lol

i didn't mean you were new to paintball i meant you were new to the forumsso you wouldn't know exactly whats going on all the time you get me
no hard feelings.