PDA

View Full Version : Should AO Buy AngelOwnersGroup.com????

AGD
03-25-2002, 09:33 PM
AO,

Angelownersgroup.com is up for sale. Should we buy it and incorporate it here as a separate forum? After all we are a mulit-gun forum and Angel owners are our most likely customers.

AGD

Predater
03-25-2002, 09:36 PM
Tom, if you have money to spend y not;) .

joker4hire
03-25-2002, 09:38 PM
I say go for it!.. wise men says
"keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

Army
03-25-2002, 09:41 PM
Boy, talk about putting a cat and a dog in a box!

Perhaps, educating Angels can be a good thing. It would sure help quell a lot of the stupid rumors.:cool:

FooTemps
03-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Tom, that would be great. Just make sure to make it run off vb and make it like AO... Maybe new moderators too. I think that giving Q, rob, army, black, phil, webby, etc. double duty would be a bit much for them.

toymyster
03-25-2002, 09:46 PM
I think that'll work to your advantage!!! As you said, Angel owners are a very likely E-Mag clientel!!!

magman007
03-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Tom, as a loyal customer, and an over all agd fan, i think you should go for it. It is a bit of a risk, saying you are the president of agd, but if it were to not work for you, you could prolly always sell it to wdp.

I also firmly believe this is the right step towards creating a multi marker enviroment in and around AO. I know there are numerous angel users on these boards, and i am sure they would appreciate it.

You would have to make sure that you employ well knowledged angel useres as your moderators. maybe even some of them right off of these boards (Cliffio...etc)

Im not quite sure where the financial gain is in this tho. Unless you are planing to harbor all of the angel useres into e-mag users, then it is a smart plan. This might make Wdp a little angry tho, but hey they dont to anything for their customers like you do. If you plasn just to host the site and get the skinny on what is going on in the angel world, then that is good and all, but couldnt you just peruse other boards?

All in all Tom, you are a smart, business savvy man, and im sure you will make the right decision.-Bill

MajorDamage
03-25-2002, 09:54 PM
Sure, just be prepared for more mag flames :). I agree with Foo that this would require more mods, especially because flames will probably start up...

ENDO!

pito189
03-25-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by joker4hire
Wise men say...
"keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

Sounds like a very good idea. Is the name just for sale, or the xtra space too? Because the xtra server space can always be used.

Would it be incorporated as a new forum? For example it would read
Main Forum
Angel Forum
Tech Forum
etc...
etc...

Cliffio
03-25-2002, 10:04 PM
HELL YEAH!!!

that would be hella cool

of course now that i own an emag and not an angel i guess its legal for me to stay:)
(shhh keep it on the DL, deal is just about to go through)

Doobie
03-25-2002, 10:06 PM
In a perfect world, on a frictionless plane, in a vacum, it would work. Real world. You will buy it, and all the Angel owners will jump ship (kind of like PaintballCity going to a pay site) and you will be left with a site with no members. Something my Dad told me to do before buying anything used...ask why it is for sale.
For you, the plus side would have to far outweigh the minus side. What do you really have to gain from the purchase?
My 2 cents

p.s. I have nothing against Angel owners. The first part of my Sig says it all.

FooTemps
03-25-2002, 10:06 PM
Idea!

Team AAO(angel, automag owners)

Cliffio
03-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Doobie
ask why it is for sale.

because the old owner wanted out of paintball not because all the members left

TK- i would go on PBC or PBN and find out whatev EVERYONE thinks of getting a new AOG all together

but thats just what i would do

if you need help contact me, ill be glad to do it, ive got over 1k posts on pbc and have been there a while, lots of people know me

anyways

Cliff

alf
03-25-2002, 10:16 PM
yes!

i would love to see another AO-like forum for angel owners (now that im getting one :D )

high quality moderating, posting, topics...yes, yes, yes

-alf

SlipknotX556
03-25-2002, 10:18 PM
I think thats a great idea Tom.

BradPalooza
03-25-2002, 10:23 PM
I agree with Doobie, I think they'd bail and find another forum.
-Brad

epterry
03-25-2002, 10:25 PM
as they say "Go Go Go":D be kind of fun to make it into a big site then sell it to wdp:D

Cha0tic
03-25-2002, 10:42 PM
will the angel owners like it? i'v emet many stubborn angel owners that are dead set against mags. i'm sure some of the immature angel owners will have a cow, but its a good idea.

slayer
03-25-2002, 10:43 PM
It is your call tom. But I can't see the financial benefit in it. Yeah...angel owners may get a better forum, and it may be more useful as far as giving them facts. I can only guess that you want them to come into mag land and convert. If the SFL's are working well then it may not be a bad idea, because they seem really good.

hitmanng
03-25-2002, 10:44 PM
This may be a good idea but don't get your hopes too high. It is to easy to just go to another web site. You will have to convince them you care and that they care if you care. I personnally think the money could be better spent elsewhere unless it is really cheap and you have nothing to loose.
Hitmanng

ArthurDent
03-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Ya why not tom, ya angle owners will be good clients for the next generation of emags, but also might see alot of people buying angles also.....

pumpamatic
03-25-2002, 10:56 PM
No! We will all get dissed because our mags don't have infrared links that we can communicate to handhelds and other Angels. I think it may turn away a lot of Angel owners. It may convert some too.

InfinatyBPS
03-25-2002, 11:36 PM
I also agree, if you have the money, then go for it. It would bring more people to the mag world. Just get a few guys around here that know a thing or 2 about angels, set them as mods and get it running...

FooTemps
03-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Only one problem I see. Tato brought this up in the chat.

<Potatoboy> i think the rumor mill will get ahold of AGD buying an Angel forum and screw it all up.

I mean, what rumors could come from this!?!? WDP buying out AGD or vice versa! WDP sold the patent for the angel to AGD! AGD has become a military installation and took over WDP! Who knows what stupid rumors might come up?

MajorDamage
03-25-2002, 11:48 PM
Woe! So AGD bought out WDP and now they are cross breeding Angels with Emags!?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ENDO!

Kevmag
03-26-2002, 12:47 AM
It would be a shame if adding another site like Angelownersgroup.com took away the focus from AO. AO is so good largely due the maturity level of the members and the high quality moderaters. Adding another site could add a bunch of unwanted members while simultaneously taxing the moderators.

I think the risk is too great vs. the reward (AGD - how many Angel users would you have to convert? AO Members - low quality posts; clutter).

Miscue
03-26-2002, 01:00 AM
Do it! Wouldn't that be HILARIOUS if the best Angel forum was owned by AGD? Hehehehe! Do it! Do it!!!

I don't see it as something to really help Angel sales or something... But, we could take users off all the other boards (people who would have been frequenting Angel forums anyway) and have a much better Angel forum than what's out there. If there ever was a time, it's now... before the other Angel forum picks up steam. And... I'm sure we can be a little sneaky about it and help people learn more about the EMag... tee hee. :) I think it would end up with some EMag converts... get some Angel people crossing borders... and not the other way around.

Angels are gonna be around, and they are good guns that I personally would like to learn much more about. It would be nice to have a forum to attact the people who really know what they're doing with this stuff... and we can all learn about it.

Miscue
03-26-2002, 01:41 AM
If AOG became it's own entity... you could make the AOG and AO friendly corner and classifieds... maybe even Deep Blue connect to each other... basically be one in the same. A bridge between AO and AOG.

Guess what? Angel forum would already be loaded up with lots of posts and interesting people... they will see this and want to join! (Maybe not even realizing the AO-AOG connection... hehe)

Also, make registration database be same... register for one... you register for the other.

ArthurDent
03-26-2002, 01:58 AM
ya one data base would be good....i am also egger to learn about angles and i know i could spend hours looking at all the pics they would put up

MikeCouves
03-26-2002, 05:48 AM
Yes! Do it! That is a great buisiness opurtinity, because you can educate everyone on mags and we can elimanate so many of those stupid rumours. Maybe everyone will buy Emags instead if their Angels, and then there will be no Angels left! Bwah haha.

It sounds like a great idea.

Shaft
03-26-2002, 06:05 AM
HELL YEAH!

Work on gettin' a good WGP forum too!

PsychoMag
03-26-2002, 06:12 AM
I think it is a wonderful idea, since there are so many Angel owners on the board already.

luke
03-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Not if it will take up more of your time.... :D We are all waiting VERY patiently for all the cool new stuff. :)

Dubstar112
03-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Yeah GO go for it Tom!.. but beware of the mighty FLAME! I know flames dont normally come from heaven(the angel hehe).. but beware ;)

FeelTheRT
03-26-2002, 07:09 AM
I think this is an excellent oportunity. Not only will AO be larger, more Angel owners will be educated with what's what, and not just stupid hypes.

cphilip
03-26-2002, 07:20 AM
I kinda like this idea. A multiple marker freindly thing. Can only help I think.

tremis
03-26-2002, 07:39 AM
I like it. I like it a lot. It may be easy to jump ship, but once they see it, they'll stay. If its only half as good as here, they'll stay.

I dont bother with PBnation or PB city because they aren't near as nice as AO, I think Angel users are smart enough to understand what is and isn't a quality forum.

Tremis

Dayspring
03-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. Go for it! :D

Army
03-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Woe! So AGD bought out WDP and now they are cross breeding Angels with Emags!?!?

Yes, they will be called "Mangles", alongside the Punisher cocker/Mag hybrid "Mockers".:cool:

matthepepe
03-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Well congrats on the purchase,
although i would like to say thank you for ruining a great start to what we already had going .... if you weren't aware
www.angel-owners.com
this was started at the time angelownersgroup.com was shut down and the reason we didnt get the domain was because he wanted a ridiculous amount for it. And a chump like me cant afford stuff like that :)

Good Luck

bornl33t
03-26-2002, 10:48 AM
what happened to the post by "arch Angel"? I saw last night??? was it censored? I'm a little confused.... if you see this arch PM me what went on!!!

the JoKeR
03-26-2002, 11:24 AM
After spending time on other boards, I've come to the conclusion that this is one of the best run and moderated sites on the web. Flame wars are few and far between, opinions are usually respected, and it's a great knowledge base, all wrapped up in a well designed website. If you are to buy their website, I would suggest at least for the time being, to keep it separate and incorporate whatever changes are needed to make it a welcome place to visit. Get it's pulse going again, and get the buzz started. Then, after they are used to those changes, merge the sites (if that is the future plan) in common areas :friendly forum, dealer forum, etc., but obviously keep the Mag forums separate from the guns with the funny accent.:)
Just my $.02.

Arch Angel
03-26-2002, 11:28 AM
First off...

Since AOG went under I knew it was only a matter of time before one of three "sites" took control of it:

Automags.org
PbNation.com
Paintballcity.com

These three places seemed logical, especially the last two. I was however pleased to see that TK joined my forum (www.angel-owners.com) and I encourage all Angel owners and those interested to check us out as well.

I can't even begin to theorize why TK would want AOG but I'm sure he has his reasons, his motives unknown.

It'll make for an interesting big picture to have a site about one company's product, owned by another.

cphilip
03-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Very nice post Joker. Sound and reasonable. I like it and it goes kind of to the heart of my views on this. Couldn't say it better myself.

Ityl
03-26-2002, 01:57 PM
cphillip has a point, but I think it would help to what AO has already started: Flame Wars. On every other board you always got cocker vs mag, mag vs cocker, angel vs cocker, angel vs mag, etc... But here it has been all about learning more about different guns and educating everyone on what's true and false.

Also AGD will have an even greater idea of what Angel owners like about their guns (as well as non-angel owners) so they can be incorporated into the Emag.

Also maybe this can help stop the "paint-blenders" rumor. People here know why it happens, but "uneducated" think it's the gun. I noticed that there's almost 5k members here, but there's over 4 million paintballers. So this can help spread the word and get not only more mags out there, but more knowledgable players.

It also works both ways...now people here could learn about the angel so no myths and rumors would float around here about them.

As long as it isn't a huge price, I'd go for it.

MajorDamage
03-26-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Army

Yes, they will be called "Mangles", alongside the Punisher cocker/Mag hybrid "Mockers".:cool:
Woe! I'm gonna have to go tell everyone! I'm guessing it'll be a less reliable version of an Emag, made bigger, and boards will fry like chicken...but it will have an LCD screen! :eek::eek::eek: lol.

ENDO!

SPOOKI
03-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Tom,
Go for it... Angels are one of the best electros on the market. Granted, everyone has their own preference to the type of markers they shoot but I am a big Angel fan. I haven't had any trouble with mine and I'd put my money behind it any day.

Accord
03-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Hi, this is John, the current owner of AOG. I just got off the phone with Marcia from AGD and the domain is now officially owned by AGD.

I can't beleive nearly everyone was saying go for it :).

Thanks,

John

MajorDamage
03-26-2002, 02:34 PM
:eek::eek::eek:! Woe! Thats freakin' hilarious! AGD owns an Angel owners group!!!! LOL!!!! And Tome is a multiple Angel Owner!

ENDO!

slayer
03-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Tom, does this mean you are endorsing angel ownership. I already own an e-mag. You play paintball with different guns don't you? I know that you own a ton of different guns.

Nitroduck
03-26-2002, 03:07 PM
BUY IT TOM BUY IT.

I asked how much John wants....Not a bad deal.

I think it'd be cool to show that just because you are the president of AGD doesnt mean you can't get sugguestions from another forum.

Plus, it would be easier to say "I visit AO" and not get confused by the fact its either Automags.org or Angelowersgroup.com

But anyway, I say buy it.

the JoKeR
03-26-2002, 03:15 PM
OK, now that Tom owns it, we can stop being nice! Run it into the ground!!!! ;)
OK, just kidding. I'm looking forward to seeing how the feedback is a few months from the Angel owners.
Tom- how about buying a site for Defiants now? I'm not thrilled with the ones I've found so far!:D

AngelBoy
03-26-2002, 03:29 PM
Do it!!! I used to be part of that forum too!

Arch Angel
03-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by AngelBoy
Do it!!! I used to be part of that forum too!

That would be hard to do... being that AOG didn't have a forum.

DarkRipper
03-26-2002, 07:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what's to come of all this.

:)

Kudos to Tom for keeping the site alive...

Good luck to Archangel and Matt on Angel-owners.com.

:)
DR

matthepepe
03-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Thanks DR muchj appreciated.

SPOOKI
03-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Come on guys, fight nice... angel owners have feelings too ya know...

banzaimf
03-26-2002, 08:41 PM
I didn't wade in on this earlier.. oh well..

My concern is that WDP may take umbrage at a "angel" page being owned by a competitor. I worry that they may sue under cybersquatting laws and get the domain name for free after you have invested time, effort, and money into it.

that being said.

I am BANZAIMF of AO, You WILL be assimilated!

banzaimf

Arch Angel
03-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Hey I don't mind having AngelOwnersGroup back up. Almost half of the info up there is mine.

It's quite a pat on the back to see two sites display your labors.

:D

MantisMag
03-27-2002, 01:31 AM
well this is going to be interesting. there's already a flow back and forth where owners of an E-mag or angel will get tired of the one they own and buy the other. the numbers of people doing this will probably increase once this gets going. and that's really good for both companies. if we can get a good community going over there like we have here that would be awesome. we already have angel owners here who stay simply because of the quality of this forum. what happens when we get mag owners on an angel forum? what if they can actually get along? could there be hope for the cocker owners? :p

bornl33t
03-27-2002, 01:43 AM
Hold on, let me ask my fav toy... a magic 8-ball..... ummm says.. Outlook Doubtful hehe

dansim
03-27-2002, 05:26 AM
i just dont see this making money this site doesnt does it but it does give valuable feed back for new products oh evryone its ANGEL not ANGLE too bad im tradin mine this would be fun but shhh dont tell anyone =)

boss_automager
03-27-2002, 04:24 PM
Well we have so many Angel users here why not?