PDA

View Full Version : Low Pressure Minimag?

jmcj5
03-26-2002, 05:09 AM
I have been putting up questionnaire type posts for my new Minimag for a few weeks now and have received a lot of very useful information. I thank you all for helping out especially Covadsucks and Predator, you have both been very helpful.

What about a low-pressure system setup? I am moving toward a C02 system instead of HP due to cost. I have seen this for many of the blow back systems, like the Spyder and Piranha, but not for the blow forward system. What do ya think?

By the time anyone reads this I will have set the Reg somewhere between 600 to 750 based on what others have suggested. hopefully things will work out. I'm hoping that my dropoff problems will be resolved by raising the Reg setting per my fellow Magger's input.

Anyway, Low Pressure.....any thoughts or ideas?

Autotrigger
03-26-2002, 07:58 AM
From what I have been told on this forum the internal reg pressure for the Automag/Minimag is around 400 psi. That's not real low, but it isn't real high either. Don't know if this helps or not! When I set my secondary reg to less then 750 psi on my last mag my shoot down was worse! It worked the best at aroung 800+or-. Hope this helps.

FordPrefect
03-26-2002, 01:53 PM
It should be fine if you put it at about 800.

athomas
03-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Having a lower regulated pressure to the AIR valve really doesn't accomplish anything except decreasing the differential pressure between the LPR and the AIR valve. The internal chamber of the mag will still require 350 to 400 PSI of pressure to propel the ball at 280 fps. The lower differential pressure will have a negative affect on the charge rate of your valve. You increase the chance of shootdown at high rates of fire.

With the properties of CO2, you won't really get any sinificant benefit of increased number of shots out of the 20oz tank either.

The only real attempt at lowering the operating pressure of the mag was with the magic box from Smart Parts. It increased the chamber volume and thus allowed a slightly lower chamber pressure to be used. It wasn't considered a success and quietly dissappeared into oblivion.

Predater
03-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by athomas

The only real attempt at lowering the operating pressure of the mag was with the magic box from Smart Parts. It increased the chamber volume and thus allowed a slightly lower chamber pressure to be used. It wasn't considered a success and quietly dissappeared into oblivion.

the magic box sucked. it messed up the cycle speed of the gun.
[edit] im agreing with you and adding more info on the magic box. when i read my post it looked like i was arguing with you so i thaught i would correct this.[edit]

the air behind the ball is around 80psi. thats low presure. what you want is a way to lighten up the force of the bolt on the paint. i havnt found one yet but i like fomie bolts. they help if you dont want to worry about the nubin being set right. dont short stroak the gun or out shoot the hopper and you wont have a prob thow.

athomas
03-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Not too long ago, Mr. AGD himself hinted that they may be working on a way to lower the operating pressure of the mag.

I agree, 80 - 90 PSI behind the ball is fairly low. I guess its the bolt speed and direct lbs of pressure exerted by the bolt on the ball when it is pushed forward that is of issue(ie. potential chops).

Miscue
03-26-2002, 10:54 PM
Mags are 60psi actually.

athomas
03-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Yes, 60 PSI. I remember this from a previous discussion.