PDA

View Full Version : Bad wrists but want to play

Tempestwolf
03-26-2002, 11:44 AM
My wrists were permanently damaged in a freak accident at work, which makes them sore pretty much 24/7 no matter what I do. Of course, the more strain I put on them, the worse the pain gets, but even when resting, it never goes completely away.

But, I want to play paintpall (crazy me, huh?) :p and am wondering what kind of marker (or marker set-up) I could get that would be both very lightweight, yet reliable.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks! :D

Tempest

wyn1370
03-26-2002, 11:46 AM
the lightest setups I ever held where a cocker w/ nitro and a spyder w/ co2. That's about as specific as I can get though.

Blennidae
03-26-2002, 11:48 AM
My F-2 Illustrator was pretty light. I don't know what the latest version the F-4 weighs, but it cant be much different.

synreal
03-26-2002, 11:54 AM
First off, welcome. I think you'll find most people here to be overall very helpfull.

If you are looking at super lightweight, and huge ammount of paint flying around isn't a requirement for you, check out stock class (you don't get much lighet than 10 rounds, a 12 gram CO2 and a few bits of thin piping ;) )

In the semi world either a spyder or a stock cocker run off of a remote (the tank is attached to your back) would fit the bill nicely. As much as I love mags, light isn't one of their biggest selling features.

Or if you have the cajones, you could try to get your insurance to pay for an SFL or Extreme Emag as a medical necessity ;)

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Jonno06
03-26-2002, 02:02 PM
yea,I would get a mag with Z grip,so you dont "goos-neck" your wrist like you do with typical 45 frames.

Paintballer86
03-26-2002, 02:15 PM
You also might want to try a bushmaster 2k2, mine is Pretty light, and is fast, and you can run it on remote. Hope this helped.

epterry
03-26-2002, 02:35 PM
dont no about light mag bodys but I would get one with a z grip and run a remote.:D and get a fore grip to spread the weight.:D

martlet1
03-26-2002, 02:46 PM
My micromag is the lightest gun I have owned. Its really really light and small. If you ran it with a remote tank it would be awesome.

gimp
03-26-2002, 03:21 PM
A z-grip will probably make your wrist a lot more comfortable. You don't really have to turn it or anything.

Dr.StockClass
03-26-2002, 03:52 PM
I have to second syn in saying stock class/pump is the way to go. After playing most of a day with my phantom (stock class setup with 3.5 oz tank), I feel like I'm picking up a bowling ball when I grab my mag with nitro on gun.

Check out Component Concepts Inc. (http://www.phantomonline.com), the makers of the phantom. You can also get a direct feed body and put a 50 round hopper on it, run off a 3.5 oz CO2. Very very light.

Good luck.

mykroft
03-26-2002, 03:55 PM
I'd run a Bushmaster 2k or Defiant, with a gas-thru stock and a preset tank on your back. That's about as light as you are going to go, and you can brace the gun against your shoulder. Wrist-braces will be a must for you, I hope you have fitted rigid braces.

media
03-26-2002, 04:02 PM
If vibration or jarring hurts your wrists more then I would avoid running a remote. Having the tank mounted on the gun absorbs some of the recoil. Otherwise, a remote would help.

Tempestwolf
03-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone!

LOL Nice suggestion about the insurance, but I currently have none.. (long story involving lots of idiots and jerks.. )

I think pump's going to be out of the question. The less my wrists have to do the better. Sadly, I know I'll need help with the tank and cleaning the marker if I ever get one anyway.

Vibration/jarring/shock does indeed aggravate things, but not nearly as bad as the weight (I've fired a Spyder Compact 2k (with CO2) to test. Don't think I could do that for more than a minute or two due to the weight..) *sighs*

I could go remote on a Spyder, as without the tank it's light enough, but I think the kick would do me in anyway. I've been told (but haven't experienced) the Mag's kick is significantly less, yet they're none-too-light. Z grip sounds like a good idea, too.

Maybe I'll have to try a Micro when I get me some $$. Haha!

By the way.. A friend suggested I rig a marker for my head with mouth-activated trigger. Weirdo. :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone. I hope to join the leagues of paint-splattered soon!

~Tempest

P.S. Whatever you do, take good care of your hands and wrists... You don't know how valuable they are till you can't use them anymore. I'd rather have injured my legs than my hands.

RATM
03-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Whatever kind of a marker you get rigging it with a shoulder strap would be a nice feature so you wouldn't have to hold it in between games and when your manuevering.

manike
03-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Bushmasters are very light but if you run remote (which I suggest to make the gun as light as possible) then they have quite a kick which may be a problem for you.

Do you need an easy electric trigger or can you handle a more conventional pull like a cocker?

Now you can get some light cockers but what I am thinking and would suggest is to get a Sovereign II. It's a very light and thin version of a Cocker. It has very, very little vibration and kick when firing. It has no back block smacking into the gun but you can watch the bolt and cocking rod move at the back for that 'hypnotic affect' :)

But the Sov II does have a more conventional trigger pull. The USA distributor does do a hinge frame modification which could be just perfect.

That's my reccomendation which comes from having over 30 guns and playing with a lot more.

If you need to go electro I think the bushy is the lightest and the Angel has the least kick IMHO. But kick is often subject to the set up of the gun including how you hold it and the weight of it... the lighter you make it the more kick you may feel.

Oh yeah and if you want a bushy and the z-grip that is possible too ;)

manike

AdrenalineMag
03-26-2002, 05:50 PM
<B>*POOF*</B>

manike
03-26-2002, 05:54 PM
I think your post was uncalled for :rolleyes: If you actually read the guys post you will see that this is a bit more of a serious issue that affects his everyday life rather than the few occasional bumps and bruises you have subjected yourself to.

manike

BgGrizzly
03-26-2002, 06:33 PM
I would suggest either a spyder with a remote line, or a mag with a zgrip and a remote line. The mag with zgrip would be heavier but maybe more comfortable and easy on your wrists than the 45 grip

InfinatyBPS
03-26-2002, 07:58 PM
well I find my teammates mag very light here would be a nice light set up...

Powerfeed Mag
Z grip(puts ur wrist at a comforbale angle)
32* Carbon Fiber Barrel(very light)
and a Small Fiber Wrapped Nitro Tank...
that should be very light and comfortable...

theraidenproject
03-26-2002, 08:23 PM
my suggestion, z-gripped mag w/ superbolt, remote 48/45 on a redz belt (just cuz theyre so comfortable:) ) i dont know about light barrels, i have a SS one

paintsprayer
03-26-2002, 09:09 PM
ok, here's what you gotta do, and i'm not just making this up, after i read your post i went out and tried this. i took my old spyder TL with an 9oz tank, and i used electrical tape to attach the tank to the bottom of my forearm. when holding onto the grip, it looked normal, but i could completely let go of the grip with my hand and the gun would stay in place perfectly. basically all i had to do was pull the trigger. this also made the gun seen very light. i think you should do this.

martlet1
03-26-2002, 09:29 PM
I really kind of brace my gun with my tank. If you could imagine the top of the tank on the bottom of your forearm, velcro around the tank and your forearm. Your wrist will be relatively still. My micro is really light until you put the tank and hopper on. I mean realllly light. Good luck!

tysonmachado
03-26-2002, 10:12 PM
I have two things to bring to this argument:
-more paintball paintball stuff sitting in my basement than should be there
-an accurate kitchen scale

I have said many times that the Automag is not significantly heavier than other paintball guns. I even said this to the boyfriend of Tempestwolf earlier this evening. After reading through this thread I decided to perform a little experiment.
I took two guns:

AUTOMAG 68 powerfeed left with tournement legal thumb adjuster, stock composite grip frame, AGD rubber wraparound grips, brass air line elbow, and nickel plated male quick disconnect fitting. No barrel, no foregrip, no dropforward.

PIRANHA G3 VTL with stock composite grip frame, stock plastic grip panels, beavertail sightrail (so the rear cocking knob doesn't smack ya in the face), aluminum asa to 1/8 NPT adapter, and nickel plated male quick disconnect fitting. No barrel, no foregrip, no dropforward.

I weighed each of them on my kitchen scale:

The Automag weighs 2 pounds even.

The Piranha weighs 1 pound 15 ounces.

Since we all know that there are 16 ounces to the pound we can see that the Automag does weigh more by a whole whopping ounce!

At this point, those of you who are reading this and are quite clever are saying, " but when you remove the barrel of an Automag you also remove the breach, and that is added weight which your experiment does not account for!"
This is true. Fortunately, I just happen to have a 14 inch All American barrel with stainless steel back for the automag, and I also just happen to have a 14 All American barrel with stainless steel back for the Pirahna. Since stainless is about the heaviest material barrels are made from, the steel backs will best accentuate the difference in weight. If both of these barrels were aluminum the difference would be less. Putting each in turn upon the trusty kitchen scale we see:

The Automag barrel weighs 11 ounces.

The Piranha barrel weighs 10 ounces.

Now we have another whole ounce difference between them, added to the first ounce it is plain to see that when each gun is set up with the minimum amount of equipment to run on a remote line, and when each is using the same barrel with stainless steel threads, the Automag weighs 2 ounces more than the Piranha. To put that into pwerspective, a Viewloader hopper elbow with thumbscrews weighs just about two ounces.
So is two ounces really enough weight to slow you down? Is the Automag really such a monsterous beast of a gun? Or do we just hear rumors about how heavy the Automag is, then look at the stainless steel valve and body and think "it must be heavy...it IS heavy...how can someone carry ALL THAT WEIGHT?!?!"

rx2
03-26-2002, 11:28 PM
I have pretty bad wrists, and it is really something a lot of people take for granted. Fortunately, I can still play fine, but as a musician, there is nothing worse. Anyhow, I have used a z-grip fitted micromag with a remote that was quite comfortable to use. I think that that the mag kick is somewhat overstated, so I don't think that a remote on a mag would really cause any problems as far as jarring goes, although the added mass would dampen the vibrations. However, if your wrists are that bad, the crisp trigger pull of a stock mag might be problematic. Perhaps an electro would be better in that respect. It is quite a dillemma.
Whatever you choose, I would recommend staying out of the woods when you play, whenever possible. There are too many things to trip over, and unless you have perfected breakfalls and rolls, you would probably jam your wrists, if you happened to fall.