PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my 454 chevy look fast even though its slow

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 07:54 PM
Im just wondering if Twin Turbos or a 300 shot of Nawwz would be better?!?!?

Or should I get a Gs Eclipse with a 500 shot of Nawwz?!!? I want to be like the F&F movie!!!

Plus I want to tape 3 Emags together and have a super gun!!!! with a Scuba gear tank on my back!

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 07:57 PM
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/00z28/index.html

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 08:02 PM
for Obsolete!!!!!!1

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:03 PM
Hell yea NAWZZ is the s***. You should twin turbo that eclipse than put a 500 shot of NAWZZ in it. You might need 2 big scuba tanks like in FATF. Then you could be cool like Brian Spilner.

Edit:I NEED NAWZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havoc_online
03-26-2002, 08:06 PM
N.O.S. is'nt really worth it unless you race pro, N.O.S. halfs the life of your engine, if you want a faster engine for cheap then just have someone max the timing of your distributer, get a short belt, and mass air, better exhuast if possible(borla, flowmaster is pure sound). these are a few of the basics

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Obviously we were joking and also nitrous does not half the life of your engine. If it is done correctly (nitrous control box, forged pistons, proper wet or dry set up) it is just like any other high performnce mod. It's actually better because it's cheaper and will add more power.

Edit: Advancing your timming only adds better responce at higher RPM's. Getting a shorter belt for what? Usually shorter belts won't fit, or the company would have made itthat length. A full exaust system, headers and all will usually and less than 10 horse power. A mass air flow would only do good if you add a throttle body with that. Also flowmasters are very good mufflers, borla are good but too expensive for what they are. Flowmasters actually produce less back pressure and IMO sound better on rats.

Havoc_online
03-26-2002, 08:23 PM
well you might as well get a supercharger, n.o.s. is a lot of stress on the engine, espeicially when you use it a lot, do you know how hard it is to only use it once in a while when you know it's there? btw on a factory 93' mustang max timing, short belt, and mass air made it a 12sec car, it was I think an almost full 2 sec drop and for only around 500 so it is a good investment.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:32 PM
No it didn't. What is this short belt you keep talking about, do you mean under dirve pullys? My friend has a '93 with MSD ignition, port and polished heads, intake, under pullys, flowmaster exaust, aluminum drive shaft, roller rockers, throttle body, MAS, and 3:73 gears and still does not run 12 seconds. And if your mature about your car you would not use the nitrous that much, and second of all if it is done right like I said it dose not harm the engine that much. Actually superchargers have alot of adverse affects due to the amount of drag they put on the crank and rest of the engine. You basically said advanced timming, full intake, and under pullys dropped 2 seconds off a cars time. Sorry won't happen.

Havoc_online
03-26-2002, 08:45 PM
yes I do mean pullys and maybe your friend mix matched wrong or something I dunno but now I'm going crazy looking for the mustang monthly where I read this outta the mag. sorry but I do believe it can happen.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Sorry man theres has to be something other than a MAS, advanced timing, and under drive pullys. That would only add like 15 horse, even 25 is a hugely optomistic number and that would not drop you down into 12. You must have read wrong.

jah871
03-26-2002, 08:52 PM
NOS isn't the best for you engine because it makes it burn a lot hotter which will make the life of the engine cut down significantly(sp?). i will post some pics of my dad's friend's camaro hes building when he gets it done. this thing is built for drag and is just barely street legal. he is hoping to run 8 or 9's with it and it will top out about 250mph, by the way this is without NOS.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:52 PM
What exactly is he supposed to mix and match.

MagMan5446
03-26-2002, 08:55 PM
250mph? No. Especially not on a 1/4 mile strip.

NOS, when done correctly, will not be as damaging to your engine as when it isn't, but will still do some damage.

Flowmasters? Mufflers? Nope, headers are the way to go if you're gonna race.

MagMan5446
03-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MagMan5446
250mph? No. Especially not on a 1/4 mile strip. 250mph is a huge number. The truck around here that does high 6s and low 7s won't get to that speed.

NOS, when done correctly, will not be as damaging to your engine as when it isn't, but will still do some damage.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 08:59 PM
I never said that nitrous is not bad for your engine, but if it is done correctly it is not that bad for it. Also if one more person says NOS I'm gonna kill someone. Please say nitrous, juice or nitro. NOS is a company that makes products for the use of nitrous oxide. Hye you could evevn do this N2O. 8 or nines of the bottle is pretty cool. My sister's boy friend runs a 72 monte carlo stock weight. It's gotta 350 w/ 500 rwhp and a 200 shot. New cam and nitrous control box for next season. say hello to 9's.

Havoc_online
03-26-2002, 09:00 PM
mix and match different brands and parts, some engines don't like certain mixes

BTW he said top out at 250 not in 1/4mile

CRiZO
03-26-2002, 09:01 PM
why not NOS on the super emag?? That would be fun... then you could supercharge the watchamacallit and make it even cooler!!! I think I'll do that, I have my 92 ranger runnin like a champer, 80 ponies in that beast!

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:02 PM
I didn't even read the 250, sorry. Also if you want the car to be legal on the street it needs to pass sound levels, so runnig open headers will equal a nice ticket. I almost eat one when I did on my truck.

Edit: not to mention open headers all the time gets to be real annoying.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:05 PM
right anyway.

MagMan5446
03-26-2002, 09:07 PM
I never said straight (or open) headers...

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 09:08 PM
I was just kinding with the first post :) I thought some ppl might laugh at it. :)

BTW!!!!!!

The politically correct term is Nitrous Oxide(N2O), Not NOS... NOS is company who makes N2O products. Its like calling all paintball guns Autocockers just because they are the more popular product.

Anyway, N2O wont hurt the motor one bit if done properly. Normal LS1 temps are around 160 and with N2O they run at 210 ish. Which is pretty hot, but fairly harmless. Just dont run it for more then 15 secounds or you will fry something :)

peace yall!

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 09:12 PM
Obsolete, I need a pic of my NitroDuck Tank :D

muahahhahahaha

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:14 PM
I never said straight (or open) headers...

So no mufflers w/ headers = open headers.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Call my wife and see if she's there so you can use the camera.

MagMan5446
03-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Hooking up header tubes aren't mufflers...

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Muhahahahhahahahaha

Hemlock86
03-26-2002, 09:34 PM
fsbadmngfmjafhmsfajsg

NOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:36 PM
One, speak in english becasue I can't under stand what your saying. Two, from what I can discipher(sp) your saying that having only headers is not mufflers. I know this, thats why when you said...
Flowmasters? Mufflers? Nope, I understood that as you just want the header tubes which is open headers. For clarification and to be on the same page how exactly do you define headers and open headers.

Zumina
03-26-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by obsolete898
A full exaust system, headers and all will usually and less than 10 horse power.

What are you talking about??? My brother put a complete exaust (headers to tips) on his 383cui powered Camaro; and gained an additional 25.3 HP AT THE WHEELS; DYNO PROVEN! The stock exaust manifolds on pretty much every american V8 are extremely restrictive. Replacing those ALONE will instantly gain 15hp at the wheels. You must be thinking about fart cannons....

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:38 PM
That benchy looks mighty familier, and so does that apartment.

Zumina
03-26-2002, 09:39 PM
SWEET!! Where did you get that decal?

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:40 PM
So he had stock exaust on a 383 camro?

Shaft
03-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Havoc_online
N.O.S. is'nt really worth it unless you race pro, N.O.S. halfs the life of your engine, if you want a faster engine for cheap then just have someone max the timing of your distributer, get a short belt, and mass air, better exhuast if possible(borla, flowmaster is pure sound). these are a few of the basics

Whar?!?!?!

I'm speachless... I really am.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Here's a quik reply to my own question. He stroked the motor but left the stock exaust on. Seem's kinda wierd. Plus from the last car topic post it seemed you don't really know that much about cars. You also changed your position twice on ricers. First it was muscle, then the 350zx will smoke all, and then to the muscle car advertisment on that last car thread. Also he spent the money on a dyno pull just to see what his exaust did.

Zumina
03-26-2002, 09:45 PM
yes. 77' my friend, my B, 360 cui (OBed 350)....

Zumina
03-26-2002, 09:48 PM
you'd be SURPRISED how often you'll dyno your car when you have a buddy that owns a shop with one. He's been known to dyno it once a week, testing the performance of different fuels (everything from 87-100). The Ricer Muscle Debate? Just looking to fire some people up; not to mention I like both domestic, as well all imported performance machines; which I thought I made quite clear in more than one post.....

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:54 PM
Well....
I'm sorry, but the true "ricers" will kick the crap out of A LOT of domestic V8s. Even the wanna-be domestic ricers are capable of it. This past weekend I saw a Quad 4 powered Cavalier race, and beat, an Iroc Z. So, at some point, I want a tastefully done rice burner, and a 67' Camaro.

ok kid, 300ZX Twin Turbo will smoke just about ANYTHING, same thing goes for the Acura NSX, Toyota Supra (NA and Turbo), and the newer RX-7 Turbos.

then we get

she speaks the truth

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=251450

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 09:58 PM
And what's OBed 350, is that board over .0035 or a 350 board over to a 360, which is a little to much.

At any rate I was refering to imports, when I was talking about exaust.

Zumina
03-26-2002, 10:13 PM
ah, well, I was referring to domestics.
AT some point I DO want a 67' Camaro and a nice rice burner.
Last I checked, those cars will take a majority of the cars out there; stock for stock.
Em, the 360 was stock, as in, he did not have the block OBed himself, it came from GM that way. Call it an oddity, but that's the what the LTs of that year had in them.
The car was bought from an old farmer in New Mexico a few years ago by my father. It had sat in his barn for 10-12 years in it's stock form. My brother took posession of the car when he expressed an interest, and since then, he's been modding the crap out of it. New heads, cam, intake manifold, carb, and a host of other things.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 10:18 PM
Cool, but like I proved in that thread stock for stock and similar dollar value those cars would be thoroughly raped by domestics.

Tim Jacobitz
03-26-2002, 10:20 PM
My car runs 9 seconds with out nos. I am running a pontaic 455. Nos makes a diffrence but not enough to be worth halfing you motor life. Nos = motor melter. Too many people are caught up in that fast n the fourious crap. A well biult big block will always be the KING. Let me clue you in on a secret......NOTHING REPLACES CUBIC INCHES....PIROID.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Do you watch the NHRA, how may of those cars run nitrous. All of them. True there is no replacement for dissplacment but saying nitrous is a motor melter is very ignorant. Once again nitrous done correctly is hardly a problem for motors.

Edit: A differance? Yea i'd say a 200hp shot is a bit of a differance.

Zumina
03-26-2002, 10:41 PM
Obosolete is right. A nitrous system that has been custom tailored to a specific engine/tranny/exaust combo will not have that much of a negative effect. Even so, it's not something you'd want to use often. The NHRA guys run it simply because they need every advantage they can get, even if it yields a paltry 5 hp.

Tim Jacobitz
03-26-2002, 10:47 PM
lets get the facts strait nos make a diffrence. I don't deni that. but we are not talking about nhra are we. We are talking about street cars. If you think nos is a replacement for a well biult moter you are sadly mistaken. I have run nos and do not disagree it makes the car faster but its just not worth the money for a street car. I have seen alot of uninformed guys put nos to a car and melt it. All I am saying is if you can't biuld it don't nos it, or you'll lose every time.

obsolete898
03-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Well what have I been saying? A motor built for NITROUS will be a well built motor, considering that the whole bottom half will be forged.

Also how did they melt it. Did it just burst into flames with a pool of motor on the ground. When nitrous has a problem (or detonates) it has a much different effect. And nitrous, for the money, is the most HP gain you can get. So it is worth it.

Also, any true drag racer I've every met would slap someone for refering to nitrous as NOS. NOS is a brand name damn it.

Shaft
03-27-2002, 08:14 AM
This thread is hilarious.

I can't wait to find out where most of you learned so much about motors.

SGTKennedy
03-27-2002, 09:29 AM
they learned it from the elves?:D :cool: :D

obsolete898
03-27-2002, 11:33 AM
My dad's a motor head from back in the day. He had a mustang mach 1 with the cobra jet drag pack. He also had a plymouth GTX 440 w/ a 6pac. Plus my sister's been seeing here boyfriend since I was in 9th grade, and he drag racers up at the NE dragway. All that kinda just got me into cars, so I started working on them and talking about them. I just need more money and time to actually get down on a full resto.

ronron2112
03-27-2002, 02:23 PM
err... you can put about 12 foglights on it.. and you could put fake "v-tec" stickers on it.. oh yea.. and I almost forgot the Type R stickers!

this is purely joke..

Zumina
03-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Yah, same story Obso. Pops had a 74' DeLorean GTO. Limited production to say the least....6 were built; all pushed 480+hp out of the proverbial "box" [Pontiac 400 cui V8]. He had to sell it when gas prices went from $0.58 a gallon, to a staggering $0.88+.

Hemlock86
03-27-2002, 07:40 PM
http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plistings/list/category16045/index.html

Shaft
03-27-2002, 09:18 PM
480hp 400 from '74....

Not to mention this being in a GTO... (in 74).

How? What'd they do?

I'd expect that from a built 455.

Shaft
03-28-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Zumina
Yah, same story Obso. Pops had a 74' DeLorean GTO. Limited production to say the least....6 were built; all pushed 480+hp out of the proverbial "box" [Pontiac 400 cui V8].

The consensus is either your dad was confused or he was driving a special dealer tuner. None the less, there seems to be no known dealer tuner working on 74 Goats. No 400 was available in '74. And a couple of folks - myself included - thought DeLorean was at Chevy by then.

Bummer. A 480hp 400 for the street would be something worth looking into. Specially since armchair dynoing my 400 is predicted to only be about 350hp. I used 6X-4 heads, which flow nicely but compression will be low.

Apparently these rare special GTO rumors are quite common. But the cars are not. Unicorn Goats.

I've been documenting my rebuild process on the POS T/A at www.acidrick.com/POS/POS.html
The pictures of the fresh painted motor against the rusted hull of the Bird are sort of surreal.

Is good! Drink Malort.

Zumina
03-28-2002, 04:31 PM
They existed, just in small numbers. Almost all of them were crashed or allowed to rust into the ground. I don't know what DeLorean's performance angle was; something to do with expiremental heads, 12:1 comp, and a few other goodies. I'm talk to me dad and get back to you; perhaps scan a few pics of it as well...if you don't mind looking at a my much-younger-than-now mom modeling i ;)

Shaft
03-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see pics.
It doesn't fit. DeLorean was five years out of Pontiac. The GTO was no longer a real GTO and was only available with a 350.
It was right at the beginning of smogger motors.

They used a 400 instead of a 455.

HP numbers were no longer quoted as gross - thus HP numbers dropped for this reason as well as being the heyday of the smogger motor.

Royal Bobcat wasn't producing tuners and the owner sold the dealership that year.

I'm stymied. The Pontiac list is stymied.

You sure it wasn't older?