PDA

View Full Version : Good barrels for mag

Snipercmdo2
03-26-2002, 08:56 PM
I was wondering about a barrel i should buy and i came across two i might buy either a dye ultralite or a Smart parts freak and i was wondering if anyone have had these barrels and how good they work with a mag:D

complicationjack
03-26-2002, 09:40 PM
10" dye stainless

find a barrel that fits the paint you spit most often

jewie27
03-27-2002, 10:23 PM
The Smart Parts Freak will allow you to make the perfect match for your paint. It lets you change the sleeves to ajust the bore size of your barrel. The only bad thing is the price at over $200 for the whole kit.

RATM
03-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Freak if you can afford it. Otherwise I'd recommend a CP or J&J Ceramic.

PyRo
03-28-2002, 05:49 AM
You basically want a barrel no longer than 12in with not more that 1in of porting, that fits your paint well.

MikeCouves
03-28-2002, 06:51 AM
Yeah...well

Shorter Barrel = More Gas
Longer Barrel = Less Gas

Port Holes = Less Gas
No Port Holes = More Gas

So the Minimag stock barrel should get you alot of gas :). Tom purposely did that.

If you can afford it get the Freak Full Kit because then you won't have to worry about paint to barrel match, you will always be ready. But Smart Parts Teardrops work nice too. CP's a great as well.

Edit: I forgot to add, the barrel itself is pretty much personal preference, whatever you want. Try to get a bore size that matches the paint you normally use.

PyRo
03-28-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by MikeCouves
Yeah...well

Shorter Barrel = More Gas
Longer Barrel = Less Gas

Port Holes = Less Gas
No Port Holes = More Gas

So the Minimag stock barrel should get you alot of gas :). Tom purposely did that.

If you can afford it get the Freak Full Kit because then you won't have to worry about paint to barrel match, you will always be ready. But Smart Parts Teardrops work nice too. CP's a great as well.

Edit: I forgot to add, the barrel itself is pretty much personal preference, whatever you want. Try to get a bore size that matches the paint you normally use.

You got it all wrong. 12in is the most gas efficiant leanth. Anything longer than that will use more gas, anything shorter will use more gas.
The more poting you have the more gas the barrel will require to get the ball to 300fps. That is why if you put an SP with tons of porting on it, chrono to 300, then put a lapaco on it, it will shoot at 340 or so.
Personally I don't like SP, too much porting leads to alot of wasted air. They are very quite though.

athomas
03-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Actually, in a mag, the most efficient barrel length is about 10" if its nonported. For porting, I don't know the answer.

Other guns with larger, lower pressure, chambers require a longer barrel to get the ball up to speed and achieve better efficiency.

Overall, the longer the barrel is, the more inefficent your gun will be due to frictional forces.

PyRo
03-28-2002, 10:55 AM
Where are you getting your info? Technically you want an 11.5in barrel.

anthraxxx
03-28-2002, 04:01 PM
commenting from my own experience, i have used:
(all length refer to amount of barrel extending from a classic mag body after installation)
- j&j 10 inch ceramic: short light, cool looking with two simple lines of porting. relatively quiet but shots tended to swerve quiet a bit and when they stayed true to path they would tend to arch.
- smart parts progressive, 12 inches: going from a 10 to a 12 was quite a change. i thought the added length would help with accuracy. not much of a difference from the j&j though in terms of shooting characteristics.
- 10.5 inch tear drop: this is the second teardrop i have owned and like the first (even though it was on a Fokus) it is super accurate. Not the quietest barrel but made the balls fire true without the arching that i noticed with the other barrels i have tried. if i ever get another marker i will be sure to get a teardrop for that one as well.

thats my two cents.

athomas
03-28-2002, 09:19 PM
Tom Kaye, himself, mentioned 10" as being the most efficient barrel length for the mag.

Poseidon
03-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Bahhh bahhh bahhh. Id depends on when the porting starts. Around 8.5 inches is a good lenth for a mag, unported. It's long enough to get the ball going to top speed. Then you have to add on porting. A barrel w/o porting is a barrel nobody wants to shoot. So you tack on another 3-4 inches of porting and whalah you got around 12 inchs. It all depend on the barrel. You buy a 10 inch freak you have 5 inches of real barrel 5 inches of porting. Thats why I have a 14 inch tip (and yes I do hate the 14 inches worth of barrel). You get a 12 inch lapco and you have about 3 inches of porting and 9 inches of barrel. There is no desired lenth. It's lenth and porting you need to look at. Actual barrel, and porting.

Magyster
03-29-2002, 03:21 PM
I would get a Smart Parts Tear Drop! They are really good.

drx975
03-29-2002, 03:45 PM
You got it all wrong. 12in is the most gas efficiant leanth. Anything longer than that will use more gas, anything shorter will use more gas.

Uh he was right, you were just reading it wrong. What he meant was there will be more gas LEFT TO USE if you choose a shorter/less ported barrel.

IMO, the J&J 2 piece stainless steel+ceramic barrels are very very nice. But the lapco is all stainless steel, meaning smoother/less friction/lower op pressure/minimal porting equaling less gas used, plus its nice and shiny, costs 70, and has the word "automag" engraved on it. :D And as everyone said, is 11.5 inches making it very efficient, not the best i know.

marley618
03-29-2002, 05:35 PM
www.firstcallpaintball.com has the J&J ceramic in 12 and 14 inches for $35, its a good deal. Something is wrond with the site so you have to go from the main page, put the cursor over "barrels" and click on J&J. If you can't figure it out just search the site for J&J ceramic or something.

Bartleby
03-29-2002, 06:24 PM
i sleep with my freak at night....i love it, and it loves me :D

Poseidon
03-29-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by drx975

But the lapco is all stainless steel, meaning smoother/less friction/lower op pressure[/B]

Stainless steel barrels don't do much for gass efficentcy if anything at all. It's mainly a myth to get people to spend more $. Same goes for brass barrels. It may have been true years ago when they couldn't hone aluminim like they can today but I'd stick with the cheap aluminum barrels.

Poseidon
03-29-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Bartleby
i sleep with my freak at night....i love it, and it loves me :D

And I thought I was the only one. :)

Poseidon
03-29-2002, 11:24 PM
mabey we should start a support group.
FLA (freak lovers anonmyse (SP?)