PDA

View Full Version : what is the best barrel you can get? boom stick?

Arson51
03-26-2002, 10:07 PM
i want the best for my to be mag and i was thinking about a 12 or 14 in dye boom stick? is that the best barrel you can get?

oneshot
03-26-2002, 10:12 PM
boom sticks are nice, but if you own more than one gun, and play at alot of different places go with the freak.

RT_Luver
03-26-2002, 10:39 PM
one word...Freak. If your willing to pay 200 dollars on a barrel that is. You can get them in any size and they fit any paint. Say u want a 12in barrel but also a 16in barrel. Buy the frak kit and the front that makes um 16in. perfect barrel.Smart Parts is also known for having really good barrels too.

Predater
03-26-2002, 10:45 PM
if you want the bumy buy multiple boore ones. itl cost more cuz your getting more than one barrel. its what im going to do. get 2 more boomys to go with the one i own and with the aluminum dye i own.

a_malfunction
03-26-2002, 11:07 PM
I like my Lapco barrels. Very efficient, accurate, and they even look good! The best part is that they are only 1/2 the price of a boomy!

Nitroduck
03-26-2002, 11:11 PM
Boomsticks are GREAT if your using 1-2 kinds of same bore paint.

However, if your like me and run lotsa different sizes, go with a Freak. Although I tend to think the accuracy is a lil worse, you make up for it with being able to always size your paint.

Kaiser Bob
03-26-2002, 11:39 PM
If you are set on the gun you have, then i would go with the CP kit or the J&J kit. Both make excellent barrels and you have the ability to adjust for paint sizes without having 6 boomsticks laying around.

Arson51
03-27-2002, 05:13 PM
but for a freak and a whole set of inserts are twice as much as a boom stick. is there are major accuracy diffrence? and what about gas efficiency and range? all that porting will make it quiet but very gas ineffecient and shorten the range

PsychoMag
03-27-2002, 05:21 PM
barrels are nothing more than metal. they accuracy is in the matching of paint to barrel bores, if you shoot similar sized paint, then a boomstick is ok, personally, I noticed no difference between my old boomy and my J&J. you pay more for a logo. It isnt a fashion show,

SPOOKI
03-27-2002, 05:21 PM
GET A FREAK!!!

PsychoMag
03-27-2002, 05:22 PM
oh...and save your $$ and buy a freak!!!

SlipknotX556
03-27-2002, 05:30 PM
Freak System is the best.

Rooster
03-27-2002, 06:15 PM
A big shot and a autospirit, have yet to come across paint that wouldn't fit either.

MikeCouves
03-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Well I currently have a Smart Parts AA, and a CP One Piece, and the MM stock barrel, and my stock barrel works the best which is kind of weird.

Arson51
03-28-2002, 05:29 PM
wow the response for freak is amazing. maby its like every one here plays with one like every one in the tippmann forums plays with a big shot. but as i ask again is it gas efficient becuse all that porting cuts its size in half. and that will decrease range and accuracy.

Cypres0099
03-28-2002, 06:21 PM
I don't think that the Freak is just a mag thing, I think people are just coming to realize that bore size is what matters most.

As for gas effeciency, depending on what length you would get, the gas effeciency wouldn't be that different from the boomstick I would think. I've had a couple boomies and they were alright, but now I'm only going to use variable size barrels because it just helps so much.

Also the idea behind porting is 1) to make it more accurate by reducing the turbulence behind the ball 2) to make your gun quieter. In other words the porting on the freak isn't going to hurt your accuracy.

I don't know if you have read many of the barrel posts on this forum but most people here seem to be strong believers in "certain velocity = certain range" theory, as am I. If each barrel is shooting at the same velocity then each of them will go the same range.

Hope this helps

Eagle
03-28-2002, 07:43 PM
I got an 18" Boomstick and I love it

DarkRipper
03-29-2002, 08:55 AM
I've had two freak sets, one when they came out at WC2k and one recently... neither impressed me much.

They weren't particularly accurate, nor were they particularly efficient or quiet.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about... I liked the insert idea (that's why I bought them twice) but I can't recommend them.

I use boomsticks (again) and JT sets now.

DR

Hysperion
03-29-2002, 09:29 AM
i also had a freak for less then a week and wasn't impressed by it's performancec....the freak is a lot of hype, just go buy a .693, .689, .686 boomy's and you're all set...i've heard good thing about the CP set and wouldn't doubt that if that was used by smartparts and the freak by CP, everyone would be talking about the freak being crappy...

Bartleby
03-29-2002, 10:09 AM
i got a freak kit for 179 at paintballgeeks.com, it was by far the greatest thing i have bought for my gun.

Arson51
03-29-2002, 04:17 PM
wow some negative responses. what about the big shot. they have a bunch of testing results to back it up. but you cant back that up either. but i could get a j&j 2 piece. nearly anything except a dye titanium boom stick is in my price range.

krafty
03-29-2002, 04:28 PM
I've got 2 smartparts AA's (12" and 16"), and a J&J brass... each shoots wonderfully.

Cypres0099
03-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Here's a site with lots O barrel consistency/accuracy information. I recomend it to all of these barrel threads that pop up.

Click Here For Lots O Barrel Information (http://www.paintballtimes.com/2001test/index.htm)

animal
04-02-2002, 12:34 PM
I've been using a J&J 2 piece on my emag ever since I got it. I also run a J&J ceramic in my minimag. I'm not exactly one to believe the hype about the changable bore barrels. I've ran countless types of paint through my j&js and had no issues at all. As long as your nubbins aren't letting it double feed, you probably won't have an issue with any brand of barrel. It's all personal preference imho, granted I'm a J&J user myself but it's because I never needed another barrel. I'm sure other's work about the same. Get whatever barrel you feel comfortable with, and spend the extra on the better quality paint.

pip_999
04-02-2002, 12:40 PM
well i got a 14" SP AA on mine, and it is not only quiet, but it is accurate with big ball and andy type of diablo paint, but i shot my buddys cocker with the freak and it was amazing, i liked teh idea of the inserts

anyone heard any hype on the PHAT barrel system by ACI?