PDA

View Full Version : Is a mag really that much better than a piranha/spyder?

ScoobYSnax
03-27-2002, 11:06 AM
I just bought a mag w/nitro setup the other day. I haven't even used it yet, but I got a friend who really likes it. He doesn't know the deal I got, and so I could sell it to him WITHOUT the tank and make $100+ dollars. I'm just a rec baller (might get more competitve at end of summer, who knows) and so I was thinking that I should do this and just buy a piranha G3, add a palmer male stabilizer reg, and a CP/bigshot barrel, and still have 80-100 for paint.

So my question is really, what do you think I should do in this situation? Should I just keep the mag, sell it just b/c I can make money and then buy a better mag, or sell it and buy a piranha and have lots of money for paint? What makes the mag better than the Piranha? The Piranha seems easier to maintain, and doesn't have short-stroking potential.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. Thank you.

pumpamatic
03-27-2002, 11:28 AM
I have never used a Pirahna, but if they're anything like spyders, keep your mag. I was offered an OK deal on a mag with nitro, I was strongly considering buying a shutter, but then I calculated a little bit. I would have spent 210 on the Spyder, plus a 20 oz tank. I figured that for 60 bux more, with a good barrel, 9v Revvy, and Nitro, I would take the mag. Now that I have the mag, and have shot spyders, you wouldn't believe how ridiculously long a spyder's trigger seems compared to a mag. Also, I think a Spyder to a Mag, a Mag has less maintenance. All I really do after a normal day of play is wipe off the outside and put 5 drops of oil in it. I think a mag is way easier to troubleshoot and tech than a Spyder. As far as shortstroking, I had no troubles with shortstroking after a case of paint, and only when I fan the trigger do I shortstoke. I can actually outshoot my 9v before I shortstroke. My suggestion would be to keep the Automag.

mykroft
03-27-2002, 11:42 AM
The Mag's actually much easier to maintain than a Pirahna. Just drop a few drops of gun oil in the ASA, shoot it a few times and keep it reasonably clean. No worries about changing springs if the velocity is too high/low, or bolts not recocking. The Mag generally shoots a bit faster, is more consistent (Although with a Stabilizer there shouldn't be much difference) and is more rugged than a blow-back like the Pirahna.

giant1515
03-27-2002, 11:47 AM
Keep the mag.

I have a spyder compact, and my friend has a stock piranha, and neither of them really compares to the mag. I had more problems and chopped balls with my spyder in 4 cases than I have with my mag with the same number of balls through it.

If you do decide to sell the mag, you might as well look at one of the electro spyders. The e-grips eliminate the reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyy long trigger pull that I've felt on most spyders/piranhas that I've shot.

Rooster
03-27-2002, 11:54 AM
Make the 100 profit and buy another mag, lol.

I would never take a spyder/spyder clone over my mag. The mag is near unbreakable under normal operation. Its just a better investment.

ScoobYSnax
03-27-2002, 11:56 AM
Keep the opinions rolling, but one thing to add is that I have a Benchmark 2x frame. I've heard this creates a really long/sloppy pull. Thanks to those who have responded, it's great!

Kevmag
03-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Chances are you will want to upgrade in the future. With the Piranha/Spyder the future will likely be sooner. You'll probably want to upgrade your Mag (that seems to be the case with everyone), but the upgrades will be more meaningful. For example, a future upgrade could be the I-Grips and Intellifeed to Revy -- addresses trigger and feed issues. Upgrading to Retro for increase firing rates. Upgrading body to warp and adding warp feed to increase feed rates.

If you have a spyder/piranha it seems likely you'll just buy a new gun (probably after adding insignificant "upgrades" that are still pricey).

Jonno06
03-27-2002, 12:16 PM
ok,sell it,get an extra C Note,then buy a nice mag,maybe RT pro,or just RT,or atleast classic mag with intelli.

MantisMag
03-27-2002, 12:33 PM
you know i had a rec baller with a spyder ask me why i spent so much money on my mag. i don't play in any tournaments. know what i told him? BECAUSE I LIKE IT! haha. if you don't mind me asking how much would your friend pay for your mag? if you can get him to give you enough money for another mag then go for it. if the money he gives you isn't enough for a mag then just keep it. the benchmark frame does have a long pull. it takes some getting used to in order to not shortstroke and it'll keep your rate of fire down somewhat because your fingers have to move so far. it shouldn't cost you that much to upgrade to another frame if you sell it and put the money towards the intelliframe. intelliframe runs a little over $100 new. $115? and sells used here on the classified forums for $95. you'll get a much nicer trigger with the intelli. then you can go to radio shack and spend a couple bucks on parts that will allow you to wire your frame to your revvy so that it spins with each trigger pull. one word of advice. always ALWAYS ask the guys here for advice before doing anything to your mag. :D

ScoobYSnax
03-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome. Well my friend might buy the gun for $350, but I'll still have my tank. So that means I'd have 350 to get another mag or whatever. Thanks guys, keep it up, it helps a lot!

MantisMag
03-27-2002, 01:06 PM
what's the exact setup? revvy? drop? barrel? whether you want to keep it or not depends on what's on there. if it's got the 12V revvy and a decent barrel keep that one. if not you can sell it, spend a little more (probably less than $100) and end up with a much nicer mag.

slayer
03-27-2002, 01:11 PM
well, when I got my automag after first owning a spyder compact I kept getting really excited about the quality of the gun. The quality is very good. Try a pirahna if you can then decide. but for 350 to sell it and get a new one might be an idea.

tysonmachado
03-27-2002, 01:14 PM
One of my teammates uses a Piranha and I have played a few games with it. It is a LOT better than the spyders, I have played with a couple of those as well. The tirgger is better than a Benchmark 2x but not a nice as some of the better mag frames.
He bought it new and has had it about a year, and the internals do show more obvious wear than any of the mags I have put together from old parts. He loves it but in the long run I don't think it will last as long.
Both are pretty good guns, but the mag is more durable.

ScoobYSnax
03-27-2002, 02:56 PM
The setup is Powerfeed, Benchy 2x frame, CP 14" .689 barrel, PMI drop, site rail, non gas-thru foregrip... No revvy.. Could I get something better for 350 or under? Thanks again guys, can't thank ya enough.

MikeCouves
03-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Yeah I agree, mags are so much simpler than Spyders/Piranhas. I had a Spyder SHUTTER, and I just didn't like the rate of fire, and how I didn't know what to do with it. I got a minimag now, and I love it. I know so much about it, nothing can go wrong. I also LOVE AO so much, it such a great place here.

RoadDawg
03-27-2002, 03:38 PM
In my opinion save the mag. Upgrade to a Retrovalve when you get the cash and you'll have way less the short strokes and increase bps. I have a Benchmark 2x frame on my Micro RT and it isn't bad once you get used to it. I owned a Shutter at one time as well and I ended up getting rid of it cause with the money I was using to upgrade it with I could of bought a nice RT Pro or Emag by now. Oh well. Good luck on your choice. Oh I'm also a rec baller for now.

Ityl
03-27-2002, 03:48 PM
my brother was trying to sell his RT for 300 and nobody took it. He ended up trading it. You can get a lot for $350.

MantisMag
03-27-2002, 07:08 PM
well you can easily get one that's just as good for $350. if you look around long and hard enough you can probably get something a little better. it's up to you. good luck. :)

~WarpedRT~
03-27-2002, 08:39 PM
I guess I'll be the only one to stick up for the Piranha. Pirnahas beat Spyders with a brick any day. And unlike Kingman, PMI has standards. No ugly weld marks on the feed necks, and they don't whore out their markers with electronic frames and call them everything under the sun. They have a new marker almost every day now. I'm not saying a Piranha is better than a Mag, but it is better than a Spyder. I used to own a Piranha STS G2, and that thing ripped like hell. I only ever broke maybe five balls in the 10 cases I put through it. It was a fantastic marker, and it only ever let me down once, and that was because the bolt did some weird number, but it only lasted a second before it was back up and running.

OtterSC
03-28-2002, 05:58 AM
as a Spyder owner and a previous Mag owner, i will share my input. :)

get a Mag! :D no, really! Mags are very simple to maintain then a Spyder and will not need to be upgraded immediately. there great shooters out of the box. and for around the $350, you really cannot beat it.