PDA

View Full Version : Range on a 'mag

trevy38
03-27-2002, 12:19 PM
Are there any tweaks or addons that I could put on my mag to increase range? It's accurate as hell, but the range is somewhat dissapointing at times. Is there anything? Preferably something that won't empty my wallet... low income... lousy communists...

Blazingace
03-27-2002, 01:49 PM
[COLOR=purple]I have heard about this range issue from many different posts. I too am interested in good range, while preserving accuracy. Any help that could be lent to us would be appreciated.

Destroyer

synreal
03-27-2002, 02:42 PM
plain and simple, no

a paintball leaving the barrel at 290fps will travel the same distance no matter what you do to it (flatline barrels aside). despite what others may claim, physics tends to win over marketing hype in this department.

//edit//
this is also not a deep blue topic, next time please try tech or main

Cha0tic
03-27-2002, 09:51 PM
try the search function. maybe the search keyword should be "physics". this will probably give you everything you need to know about paintball and range.

anything leaving the barrel, (without z-body, flatline barrel, or other backspin products) at a certain velocity, will go the same distance.

CHK6
03-28-2002, 10:01 AM
Since you don't want to hit the wallet there are a few tricks you can do to increase range.

1) Raise your marker higher; aprox 5 to 6 more inches will give you a couple of extra feet.
2) Get use to firing at aprox. 30 degree upward angles.

I'm not being sarcastic at all as the math easily shows I'm correct.

There are other small tweaks that will help improve range also. Like a good ball to barrel match. You'd be surprised to know how much range you lose if the ball leaves the barrel at a few fractions of an angle off pitch.

That's all I know of that puts no wear-n-tear on the wallet.

Also notice a small caveat: range and effective range are not the same and since you didn't make a clear question then here ios your answer.

PyRo
03-28-2002, 08:28 PM
With just about any paintball gun, if you point it right at what your shooting at your going to miss unless you are extreamly close. You learn to angle the gun so that shots will arch, travel further and hit your target. As you get to know paintball better you will get better at judgeing distance, and how much to angle the gun to get it there.

max-mag
03-28-2002, 08:54 PM
I was gonna say buy a Z-body so you can adjust the spin on the ball, but then i saw the words "...not hard on the wallet" which the Z-body is ($270) so my advice is to either try and find, or make a backspin bolt.

PyRo
03-28-2002, 08:59 PM
A backspin bolt doesn't exist for the automag. Makeing one would be extreamly difficult and requre modification of other components of the gun.
To date, I don't think a backspin bolt has been made sucessfully for any gun. They work usully by having a larger opening at the bottom of the bolt than at the top. The automag bolt however spins when it is fired. Meaning that it would turn into side, and forespin at differant times. You would need to devise a way to keep the bolt from turning, and going this would cause the one spot where the sear catches the bolt, to wear excessivley, meaning the bolt would probably only last 5 cases at the most.

soilent green
03-28-2002, 09:04 PM
Z body is about it for the mag but it be expensive you can always aim up and turn up the velocity

Army
03-28-2002, 10:29 PM
Any spin influence a bolt could possibly put on the ball, is negated by friction in the barrel.

Let's just say that no bolt has been made that can make the ball spin, outside of good advertising!:cool:

Bartleby
03-29-2002, 01:06 AM
like others have said, really the only real modification you can do to your mag to give it more range would be to find some way to put a backspin on a ball and the only way to do that with an aftermarket part is to get the z-body. but not only do you have to pay 270 for the body, you'll also need to get a barrel with a huge bore so that the ball will be able to spin freely without too much friction but enough guidance. lapco makes a barrel just for the z-body with a bore something like .700, and that's another 70 bucks. otherwise, aim high and don't shoot into the wind.

Butterfingers
03-29-2002, 01:15 AM
Yep,they pretty much covered it. :) Do a search if you seek more information.

manike
03-29-2002, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Army
Any spin influence a bolt could possibly put on the ball, is negated by friction in the barrel.

Let's just say that no bolt has been made that can make the ball spin, outside of good advertising!:cool:

Errmm that's not actually true. Cooper T Chauncy made a back spin bolt for Early Sheridan style guns which worked. It had just one hold at the very bottom of the bolt and uses the momentum of the gas blast hitting just at the bottom of the ball to induce spin and it does work as long as you have a loose bore barrel. It's not very consistant though.

I know Pro Team also once looked at doing this with bolts and managed to get a spinning ball out the end of the gun, but again results were very inconsistent and accuracy was greatly reduced.

manike

Army
03-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Like I said Simon, any induced spin is eliminated by the barrel. While the concept seems obvious, in practice it doesn't work. Have you seen any NEW Cooper bolts lately?:)

manike
03-29-2002, 09:47 AM
It's not negated if it works sometimes although inconsistently... It does work and it can make the ball spin... Sometimes :D Thats was my only point :D

It's just not an effective system. Actually in my opinion you don't want any spin on paintballs :)

I believe the Cooper bolts are still made (not certain though) and Werm was using this idea/technology for his new Impulse bolts last month or so... There was a thread on it here somewhere.

manike

Army
03-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Well, licking your finger and wiping the top inside of your barrel will make inconsistant spins too:D

By working, I mean reliable for every shot. You are correct though, the best launched ball will have zero spin in any direction.

Poseidon
03-29-2002, 02:29 PM
LOL,

I read that the first back spin barrel was made buy putting sandpaper on the top of the barrel, in the last few inches. :)

So what if every other ball would break, those few shots that didn't break would fly inconsitently a long way... hehehehe :)

PyRo
03-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Maybie you could rub the sandpaper over the top of the end of the barrel. That might put some random spin on it :)
Don't actually do this.

MidnightRider
03-29-2002, 02:58 PM
A spin-off (pun intended) of Army's coment, how about a nubbin of some sort at the end of the barrel? I have never owned or shot a z-body but isn't that how a z-body works in principle? Why not an aftermarket barrel with the nubbin type device already installed.

Just a crazy idea.

Peace

MR

MidnightRider
03-29-2002, 03:06 PM
A spin-off (pun intended) of Army's coment, how about a nubbin of some sort at the end of the barrel? I have never owned or shot a z-body but isn't that how a z-body works in principle? Why not an aftermarket barrel with the nubbin type device already installed.

Just a crazy idea.

Peace

MR

Joe 90
04-10-2002, 11:01 AM
ok, i'm probly gunna get kick for saying this, but....
AIRSOFT!
there. bb 'guns'. etc. Now, for those who don't know what i'm talking about, these 'guns' are plastic 1:1 replecas of real weapons, anything from an m16 to an m60. Now, these 'toys' fire a 6 mm plastic ball bearing at non leathal speeds i'e wont break the skin at point blank. Now, the simualritys to paintball are many, including the type of games played with them i.e capture the flag. for more information on 'airsoft' point your browsers towards www.arniesairsoft.co.uk

THE POINT OF THIS POST!
at last! phew. now, to increase the range of these bb's (much like small, solid paintballs), backspin is appled as the ball travels down the barrel, via a small pad of rubber on the top half of the barrel. This mechanisum is called HOP-UP, and the basic idea is the same as that of the flatline-only that HOP-UP has been around for much longer. the HOP-UP is also adjustable for different BB weights, simply by moving a lever that adjusts the amount of pressure the rubber pad puts on the BB as it travils past. Rifling has been proven not to work on sphiricle (spl? you know what i mean!) projectiles, and as such has been ignored by the Airsofting community. HOP-UP puts backspin on the BB, effectivly 'sucking' it into the air, giving extremly long range, with the BB 'zooming' in the sky at the end of it's flight, with exceptional acceracy.

what am i trying to say? why has a relitivly small airsoft community (compared to paintball)developed a way of increasing range that has become industry standard, yet paintballers, still with all these major companys, have yet to decide on one bore size for paintballs (ALL bbs are 6mm), and are behind airsoft? of cause, there will be faults in my argument. Could HOP-UP (or a veriation other than flat-line witch uses a bent barrel) be implemented into paintball?

peace,
out.

Joe 90

skipdogg
04-10-2002, 11:48 AM
joe 90,

it would be nice if all paintballs were the same bore size. and not so fragile!! ah well, a man can dream....

pbR2k2
04-10-2002, 12:50 PM
What exactly does a z-body do??

hitech
04-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Joe 90
why has a relitivly small airsoft community (compared to paintball)developed a way of increasing range that has become industry standard...Could HOP-UP (or a veriation other than flat-line witch uses a bent barrel) be implemented into paintball?

BBs, etc. are SOLID objects. Paintballs are not. They have a "non-solid" fill. When you spin the shell, the fill doesn't move, at least not at first. If paintballs were solid things would be MUCH different.

trevy38
04-10-2002, 05:12 PM
First of all, I don't care about airsoft. Second, they don't have nearly the range of a paintball, third... I would rather have a few different bore sizes than anywhere from .15 g to .46 g or higher weight differences adding variables on my ball's trajectory. Yes, I know about airsoft. No, I don't like it. Back to the subject at hand...

Cristobal
04-10-2002, 06:06 PM
backspin is appled as the ball travels down the barrel, via a small pad of rubber on the top half of the barrel. This mechanisum is called HOP-UP, and the basic idea is the same as that of the flatline-only that HOP-UP has been around for much longer. the HOP-UP is also adjustable for different BB weights, simply by moving a lever that adjusts the amount of pressure the rubber pad puts on the BB as it travils past

You have just described how the Z-Body works, only it uses a screw to dial in the ammount of pressure exerted by the pad. See http://www.galacticz.com/ (Galactic Systemz) for more info on "Hop-Up" and the Z-Body.

Joe 90
04-11-2002, 10:21 AM
fair do's. no harm done, just knowlage gained! thanks for everything guys. no hard feelings?

stupid newbie!:rolleyes:

Cristobal
04-11-2002, 10:32 PM
no hard feelings?

'course not :)

and give him a break about the Airsoft, Galatic even says on their site it's an adaptation to paintball of an idea that's widespread in Airsoft. Despite the differences in the sports, the z-body is still one of only two systems I've seen (the other being the flatline) that actually is effective at putting spin on the paintball.