PDA

View Full Version : fiber wrap or carbon fiber wrap

Ter-Me-Nate
03-28-2002, 12:49 AM
what is the main diff between these two, and is there really any way to tell on the tank which it is.

the reason my buddy has a crossfire 68ci fiber wrap tank
for sale

and i was told to get a carbon fiber wrap becausr it was lighter,

also can anybody tell me the size diff of a 68ci and a 88ci
tank in oter words lenth and width ive looked and cant seem to find it

the sizes would be for crossfire tanks

toymyster
03-28-2002, 02:17 AM
They're the same thing!!! As for the tanks themselves, almost all fiber wrap tanks in paintball use are made by the same manufacturer (Pressure Technologies), it's the regs on the tanks that are made by different companies!!! So you can go to any store and look at their tanks and get an idea on the physical size!!!

gibby
03-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Hehe...is it me or does toymyster always sound excited? How's it going Bob?!?"!!" ;)

Ter-Me-Nate
03-28-2002, 01:11 PM
ok... but why when you go to crossfire's website
they sell fiber wrap tanks and carbon fiber tanks
and it states carbon fiber is 15% lighter also there is a price diff in the tanks

im mainly asking because i may buy the tank from my friend and i want to make sure it is a carbon fiber tank. because i want the lighter tank, and im not sure if its marked on the tank

thanks for your response

bushjumper
03-28-2002, 01:37 PM
They're the same thing!!! As for the tanks themselves, almost all fiber wrap tanks in paintball use are made by the same manufacturer (Pressure Technologies), it's the regs on the tanks that are made by different companies!!! So you can go to any store and look at their tanks and get an idea on the physical size!!!

toymster, sorry you are WRONG. They are not the same thing. There are two types of fiber wrapped cylinders in use. They are carbon fiber wrapped, and glass fiber wrapped. And, I have seen tanks also made by Carleton cylinders and Luxfor cylinders both used. Both Carleton and Luxfor make both carbon fiber and glass fiber wrapped tanks.
I'm not sure about Pressure Technologies.

The difference is strength. Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than glass fiber. It's hard to tell the difference just by looking at it, but the tank will say on the sticker what it's made out of.

The main reason to go with Carbon Fiber is that the DOT has exempted most CF tanks from being rehydro'd every 3 years. You can now get them re-hydro'd every five years.

Be aware that not all CF tanks are so exempted, so MAKE SURE TO CHECK. It also depends on date of manufacture. The best thing to do is to go to the cylinder manufacturers website and look it up. You will need to know when it is manufactured, and what DOT exemption it was classified as. Both pieces of information are on the tank itself.

This applys ONLY to Carbon Fiber wrapped cylinders. Glass fiber wrapped cylinders must be tested every three years.