PDA

View Full Version : City council vs. Paintball

beam
03-28-2002, 08:43 AM
Here is an article that was on the front page of a local newspaper on Tuesday.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/metro2001/020326paintball.html

I know these guys and they have been trying to have a tourny since 1999. They give the sport a good name. They handle themselves very well at the City Council meetings and they don't turn it into a huge argument. They still have tournies at their field, but they would really like to have an indoor in December.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this for you guys to see. There really isn't anything that we can do right now. However, if they do get a variance, you can all come to Iowa and play in this tourny. :)

AllAmericanMag
03-28-2002, 08:47 AM
Way cool man!

But things like this still cheese me off...
"Paintball opponents Scott Jordan and Deborah Berry, who believe the sport promotes violence,"

MikeCouves
03-28-2002, 08:59 AM
That's pretty cool. I agree AllAmerican, that's stupid how some people have such a strong opinion on something, yet they have never seen it done or tried it themselves.

raehl
03-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Sounds like those coucil members could use some information.

- Chris

Ov3rmind
03-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Scott Jordan:
"People don't understand it," he said. "They're going to be shooting them at other things [besides other players during a game]."

That goes to show how ignorant these people actually get. It seems like the two big areas of concern are vandalism and that paintball promotes violence. The good thing is, it also seems like the town is in favor of paintball. You just need to get other PBers to write letters to the paper and earn the town's trust (Whenever a PB crime is committed, highly disapprove of it, and make your opinion heard), and the argument should be pretty easy to win (especially since most of the town is in your favor already).

I was reading other related stories of this in that paper, and that Scott Jordan guy really scares me. Even though presented with clear facts, his ignorance still pushes him against paintball. It is also strange how he even got into his position, I'd think it'd require more knowledge to get into that kind of job. And if you read other related articles, the city later goes in favor of banning the event and putting even more laws upon paintball. As a paintballer, I see Jordan as a real threat to our sport guys. You know what to do: even though it may not change his mind, I think I'm going to bombard him with e-mails telling him how screwed up his facts and thought processes are.

beam
03-28-2002, 11:33 AM
Although I admire your enthusiasm, I don't think the right thing to do at this time would be to bombard him with emails.

Like I said before, the local guys: Dennis and Andy are doing a great job in this. They are pursuing the appropriate channels in this.

That is one of the reasons why I wanted to post this. To show how these guys are handling this situation.

An excerpt from the article in reference to vandalism being done:

<b>Warrior Paintball's Andrew Lusson said serious paintball players don't condone that sort of activity, which gives a black eye to the sport.

"Anybody can go to Wal-Mart and buy a paintball marker and do whatever they want with it," he said.</b>

epterry
03-28-2002, 05:12 PM
shartly sould write them a long letter:D lol

Hexis
03-28-2002, 05:34 PM
Cool, I could prob make that. It's pretty close to Minneapolis, less than a day's drive.

beam
04-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Here is an excerpt from the same paper regarding the results of the city council meeting. I can't find the entire article online yet. I will post it once I find it. I guess it was on the local news this morning and one of the city council members was ticked....still thinks that paintball promotes violence.

Anyway here is the excerpt:

Waterloo gives paintball the OK
Organizers of a proposed paintball tournament at McElroy Auditorium dodged a few bullets Monday in getting City Council approval to hold their event. Council members voted 4-3 to narrowly approve an exception to the Waterloo's firearm-pellet gun ordinance, which prohibits "discharging any leaden or other dangerous missile or substance within the city." Paintball, which involves firing paint-filled projectiles at opposing players with air guns, is barred by the ordinance.
See the Courier print edition page — A1
and Courier Online, Metro

shartley
04-02-2002, 11:48 AM
http://automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Like I always say... Laws can bind you, or they can set you free..... use the system! :D

beam
04-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Well said Shartley. Guys, imagine if 2 years ago, these guys sent out mass emails, petitions, door flyers, and generally carried on about it. It would've only accomplished one thing...it would have made the Paintball Community look like a bunch of desparate hooligans. By being patient and restrained about this matter, I believe that these guys have done the Paintball Community a huge service. Now, eventhough a few board members still don't like paintball, at least the General Public isn't turned against it. People will be curious about what this new sport is!

On a side note....and I forgot this fact up until now...one of the main arguments against having a PB tourny in this location is that some people feel it promotes violence. The funny thing about that is that last year this got voted down, and about 2 weeks after the vote, they had an Ultimate Fighting event in that SAME building!!!!! UGH!

Anyways, as the tourny date nears (it's in Dec) I will be posting much more about it if you guys are interested.

Tom-- Maybe an AGD booth? I can get you contact info. if that would be something you would be interested in.

raehl
04-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Petitions and other actions have their place. What if 2 years ago the field had organized a group of voters to come to the meeting to tell the council members off? If your constituents tell you to do something, you do it, esp. in locla government where a hundred could easily make the difference between being elected and not.

- Chris

rjvemt1
04-02-2002, 12:30 PM
i agreee with reahl, you haul a bus load of registered voters into a town meeting and all the sudden 'council memebers' become 'public servants'.

cphilip
04-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Oh well I don't know if Chris is promoting mass meeting antics but letting your representative know how you want to be represented is the way the whole representative form of government works. And a good representative does poll his people to find out. But they need to be the people that are "represented" that do the informing. Especially in these local matters. And there are indeed many ways to do that as he points out. My guess is that the local Paintball Promoter did just that. And it worked.

shartley
04-02-2002, 02:13 PM
disagree.
Petitions and other actions have their place. What if 2 years ago the field had organized a group of voters to come to the meeting to tell the council members off? If your constituents tell you to do something, you do it, esp. in locla government where a hundred could easily make the difference between being elected and not.

- Chris
I think Phil is making a great point…

Oh well I don't know if Chris is promoting mass meeting antics but letting your representative know how you want to be represented is the way the whole representative form of government works.
I hope Chris is just being “hyped up”, and not suggesting that mass uprising is the answer. I agree petitions and other actions DO have their place, but “other actions” include the restraint that was demonstrated by those in Beam’s post.

I find that the way to make your elected officials do what you want (in the case of Law Making and Town Meetings) is far from “telling them off”. This only leads to the public perception that Paintball Players are a Mob with Mob mentality and lack the Education, Tact, and Class that we keep complaining they think Paintball Players lack.

One might argue that it is best to use the system in the manner in which it was designed to be used. If you want people to take you seriously, then act accordingly. If my child was to yell at me and “tell me off” because I made a decision he/she did not like, I would come down on them harder. But if they were to TALK to me and make a rational argument, I would at least listen. They would be showing me the respect that I deserve. And believe it or not, your elected officials deserve some respect as well….. and tend to be more approachable when given it. If you don’t respect them, don’t elect them. And if you did not elect them, then work harder next time to make sure they don’t get re-elected. But show the class of giving them at least the respect that their position holds while in office.

I think lately that people have just been too wound up.. all around. There are many ways to influence events, and contrary to some beliefs, MASS uprising is NOT always the most effective. Sometimes the smallest whisper can bring down entire cities, if the words are right and said in the right place. But loud noises tend to just make people cover their ears. So what I think Beam is trying to say is to be careful where and when you make loud noises, and remember that it is often NOT needed or the only plan of action.

It reminds me of the “use of force” rules (from my Military and Law Enforcement days)…. Always use the lowest level of force needed to accomplish your desired effect. Yes, shooting someone who is acting up may indeed make them stop… but is it the most wise or appropriate way to handle the situation? I admit, activism is a great battle cry, and can be fun as well as adrenaline building, but restraint can often show greater strength in itself. And remember to use the correct tool for the job….

Educated words eloquently spoken would not get you far on a paintball field, just as running around yelling will not get you far in a town meeting. Choose your method of attack, and your weapons wisely…. And crack open “The Art of War”. :D

Do you want them to remember what a big group you were, and how loud you were, OR how well spoken you were and what great points you made? A well spoken calm representative tends to be harder to use as an example of how “violent” the sport is, but on the other hand an agitated group showing poor control….

Oh, sorry.... I was just thinking out loud…. Go ahead…. Keep debating…. ;)

beam
04-02-2002, 02:31 PM
I guess another way of looking at it is this: If there had been an "uprising" a few years back it would have forced people to TAKE SIDES. This would have been tragic because people would have taken a side without any way of seeing what a paintball tourny is like. The general public would have had to form an opinion on the matter, I mean afterall, it would have been in the news that 100 paintball players stormed a city council meeting. BUT, they wouldn't have been able to go out and see a paintball tournament. The only thing they would have based their decision on would have the mob. In this case, keeping the pressure on city council accute and focused was, in my opinion, the best way to go.

Quiet
04-02-2002, 03:11 PM
That scared the living crap out of me. I'm going to school in a town called Waterloo, I was about to send a letter to town hall. Boy was I relieved that it was a different Waterloo.

Now I'm just annoyed at people who make judgements about that which they have no knowledge of. I think the cure is to drag them all onto the paintball feild and make them play. They'll have so much fun they'll pass laws granting us more freedom to play.

cphilip
04-02-2002, 03:13 PM
I understand your anger quiet but you gotta think with the big head not the little one... ;)

Quiet
04-02-2002, 03:49 PM
But seriously,
I think if they got exposed to what paintball really is, it would open their eyes a little bit. They couldn't be so narrow minded about it if they'd tried it.

raehl
04-02-2002, 04:00 PM
I wasn't advocating an "uprising". I was advocating going to the meeting with as many people as you can find who support paintball and having them adress the council one by one with why they think whatever should be allowed (in this case, the tournament). Kids who play paintball, parents of kids who play paintball, field owners, team members, etc. You obviously need to be respectful in order to be successful at being informative, but a demonstration that there are plenty of people who view paintball as the recreational activity it is can go a long way towards showing the field owner in question isn't a violence promoting nut trying to bring in extremists from outsie the community, but a normal business promoter providing an entertainment service to the members of the community who WANT that service.

It should also be pointed out that you shouldn't argue your case JUST at public meetings. You need to go into offices, make appointments, and talk to people one-on-one. Let them know who you are, give them an opportunity to have a discussion with you when they're not in front of the public and the press.

I totally agree that mass uprisings can do more damage than good. For example, in Baltimore, the councilmembers email boxes and phones and faxes have been overrun by paintball players trying to do their part sending ill-thought-out messages about how cool paintball is and paintball safety etc. without adressing the real issues at hand - why it's not a good idea to ban paintball markers in Baltimore and the alternatives available that don't result in a ban. That pile of poorly targetted messages makes it very difficult for people who DO have messages appropriate to the situation to get them through. I've spoken with several people in and near Baltimore directly affected by the bill who can't get through to councilmembers because they've been drowned out by the masses of out of state people who the councilmembers could care less about.

- Chris

shartley
04-02-2002, 04:13 PM
ahhhh... I feel better now. :)

Quiet
04-02-2002, 04:15 PM
This is the reason that most sports have a national governing body. These bodies have clout because of the millions of people who are members. They carry themselves in a very professional manner which city councils respect. They also tend to stem the flow of all of these e-mails and such because the members realize that it is their job to handle the situation. And they do so far more effectively than any mob.

raehl
04-02-2002, 04:22 PM
Which is exactly why I started APPA. We just have a good chunk of work to do before we're really off the ground. Fortunately a good group of people have stepped up to help out.

- Chris

Quiet
04-02-2002, 04:31 PM
If you want to make it continental instead of just American, pm me. I have a number of contacts with the sports governing bodies in Canada. I was kicking around as the Canadian Snowboard Federation came into being. Didn't do much but I am very observant and learned a lot (boy did they make a lot of mistakes). I am involved with the provincial body for that sport now. It suffered many of the same image problems that have plagued paintball, and they've cleared them up.