PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate- what do u no about it?

PaInTbALL zAcH
03-28-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm trying to make polycarbonate parts like triggers and such but I don't no where you polycarbonate mix or whatever you mix it up with. Anyone know?
Also do you mold it, shape it, carve it?
Just tell me what u no

liigod
03-28-2002, 07:54 PM
dont bother
I know that system x triggers break like a mofo and they are poly carbonate.

FiTiRPiLiT
03-29-2002, 09:08 PM
polycarbonate is very strong, particularly when compared to acrylic. safety glasses use polycarbonate because it is strong and flexible and does not shatter as easily as acrylic. if you want to experiment, go to home depot or call a plastics supplier and buy polycarbonate sheet in whatever thickness you want. cut out the profile of the trigger using a bandsaw (or dremel). then sand and file it down....you will scratch the heck out of it, but don't worry yet. get it into the shape you want it. then as a final step, hold the trigger with a pair of metal tongs and blast it with a portable torch and watch as magically the scuffs disappear and the polycarb takes on a sjiny gleam like a gem. i worked with polycarb on a project in college, it's easy to work with, but whether or not it's strong enough to act as a gun trigger.....not sure about it, but it's worth a shot if you're bored....we'll all of course demand to see pics!

Mossman
03-29-2002, 09:16 PM
that sounds pretty sweet..i would definately give that a try. I imagine for electros it wouldnt be such a bad idea, but i bet RTs reactiveness would bust the hell outta it in a second. shot shot shot shot what the hell. OW! my finger!

PaInTbALL zAcH
03-29-2002, 11:03 PM
do u no if u buy it in colors or do u dye it?

FiTiRPiLiT
03-30-2002, 06:59 AM
as far as i know it can't be dyed once it has been formed, color is added to the plastic before it is extruded or injection molded. the best you could do to color it afterwards is get an airbrush and use semi-transparent airbursh paint you can find at any hobby store.