PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a moderator?

Jason Reed
03-28-2002, 10:48 PM
I was wondering how all the moderators came to be and if there is a chance for an opening, because I have been with AO since it first started and love this place, it's like a home away from home, anyway i was just wondering how you can become a moderator.

FooTemps
03-28-2002, 10:54 PM
Don't go there. Heh, trust me. You won't have a world of chance of getting the job. The mods here are too good at their job so there prolly won't be an opening...

Jason Reed
03-28-2002, 10:56 PM
I was just curious as to how they became appointed this sweet job.

X-Plosive
03-28-2002, 11:18 PM
Usually reading the forum rules is a good start. Ohh and following them doesn't hurt either. Actually now that you mention it I wonder who a candidate for next moderator is? Mykroft maybe? However you need someone who is always on. Hrmm interesting. Moderating takes way too much dedication and discipline.

hitmanng
03-28-2002, 11:19 PM
It's not a sweet Job Jason. I was a temp moderator for a week due to some tourneys and you have to read every post looking for idiots doing what they shouldn't and keep in constant communication about what to do about it. They you have to be extra careful what you say since you are in a way representing Tom and AGD. In return you get the pride of a well run bulletin board.
Appreciate the hard work they do and thank them when the opportunity arises.
Thanks Guys
Gordon

Jason Reed
03-28-2002, 11:30 PM
I have alot of respect for them, they work hard to keep goofballs from doing stupid stuff. I appreciate them and hope they keep doing a good job.

Jonno06
03-28-2002, 11:46 PM
eh,if you would read the rules,it will tell you not to ask how to become a moderator...maybe knowing rules wouldnt help you in your quest.

Jason Reed
03-28-2002, 11:49 PM
Its been so long since I read the rules i must have forgot, sorry i was just curious. Like I said i have been with AO since it started and when have read the rules that long ago you tend to forget.

Army
03-28-2002, 11:58 PM
We were asked.

We were asked to pay Tom thousands of dollars to be Moderators.

We have no special priviledges.

We must call Tom twice a day.

We are at our monitors so much, we all have carpal tunnel butt.

None of us has played paintball for over two years.

All answers we give are taken from a list, made up by Tom.

Marcia is evil incarnate. Joann is the devil. Jon is satans little helper.

Please help us delete our own I.P.'s..........

lol! Actually, Webby asked Miscue and myself if we would be willing to take up some slack, as the site had grown so large faster than anyone thought it would. cphillip was brought on to help even out the time zones and to pull extra duty when big tourneys take us away. In my case, he gets dumped on when I have to go out into the field.

It ain't easy sometimes, being a Mod. You have to make some decisions that not everyone agrees with, and back up your position with emphasis on what is good for the site, not what you feel about it. Though we have never asked for any compensation what-so-ever and do this for the love of the game and the site, we do on occasion get something nice from AGD, nothing big mind you, just little things Tom found out we would like. Some of us get prototypes to test out too.

There are no plans to add any more Mods at this time.

Jason Reed
03-29-2002, 12:02 AM
LOL that funny stuff.

Anyway thanks for the info, I just wanted to see how the whole operation worked and what it took to do your job. thanks for understanding.

InfinatyBPS
03-29-2002, 12:14 AM
I could probably never be a mod hehehe, I have been warned and banned too many timed to be a mod.

pumpamatic
03-29-2002, 12:29 AM
I think Manike and Shartley are good candidates for moderators. So how do you become a moderator? The Answer: You don't.

IceCool32
03-29-2002, 12:40 AM
Manike and Shartley????!?!?!?!?! What about Cphillip(sp?)?

FooTemps
03-29-2002, 12:46 AM
Ok these are the mods:
Phil
Q
Black
Rob
Webby
Army
Tom has mod powers too I think...

IceCool32
03-29-2002, 12:57 AM
*takes foot, inserts into mouth*

Sorry about the confusion, I forgot long haired Phil was already a mod

FooTemps
03-29-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Army
It ain't easy sometimes, being a Mod. You have to make some decisions that not everyone agrees with, and back up your position with emphasis on what is good for the site, not what you feel about it.

You mean like the descision to reset my post counter? lol

X-Plosive
03-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Yeah i was thinking about Manike too, he's more like AO's technical guide who backs up myths with fact. As for Shartley, he gets into way too many grey threads and usually takes/has the opposing view on subjects. Not to say he's not a big part of AO. There are also other things which keep him from being a mod. Shartley does put people in their place when they start crap with other AO members and he deserves some credit for the points he has brought up. With all this pondering I am starting to think that AO really doesn't need any more mods, there aren't very many situations the mods aren't able to take care of immediately.

shartley
03-29-2002, 07:11 AM
X-Plosive
LOL Interesting. Now let’s use a bit of simple logic and leave all emotion out of it (not saying you used any emotion, but wanted to get that out of the way.. LOL)

Yeah i was thinking about Manike too, he's more like AO's technical guide who backs up myths with fact.
Interesting. However to be a Moderator it does not take “technical knowledge”, it takes pure rule enforcement and a level head. It also takes being impartial, and making decisions on what was actually said, NOT who was saying it. These facts were things you did not even mention. ;) I am not saying Manike does not display these qualities, or that he does… just that THOES are more important than “technical knowledge” since that is NOT what the position of Moderator is for.

However, we can clearly state that most of the moderators have even broken AO rules themselves, and some are known for not keeping a level head. HMMMMM So what does this say in itself? Good question.

As for Shartley, he gets into way too many grey threads and usually takes/has the opposing view on subjects.
This is very interesting. So are you saying that only those who agree with everyone’s points of view should be Moderators? Are you saying that those who may not agree with what the majority believes are not fit to enforce the rules? I guess you would have to relieve most of the Police Personnel from their jobs and heck Judges as well. Please do not confuse personal views and opinions with a person’s ability to enforce a set of rules. I was a Temp Mod as well and there were no problems with any of the decisions I made.

And as for “grey threads”… this just confuses me. If I break the rules I am subject to them as is everyone else. My ability to keep within the guidelines and even push the limits at times would be a clear indication that I DO know the rules, and quite well. It might also be argued that I often come to the defense of others who I feel have been within the rules but punished for something improperly… and I have never been proven wrong on that aspect. I am ALL about rules. And rules apply to every member, including Admin and Mods. ;)

Not to say he's not a big part of AO. There are also other things which keep him from being a mod. Shartley does put people in their place when they start crap with other AO members and he deserves some credit for the points he has brought up.
I can think of no other “other things” besides my ability to point out (openly) when I feel a Moderator has stepped across the line(s). This would be eliminated by me being a Moderator, simply because it would be poor form.

The reason I feel I should NOT be a Moderator has nothing to do with any reason other than that I feel I do more good for the General AO Membership by being one of YOU (and there are many reasons for this). There are still some on AO who think I AM a Moderator, and that does not bother me, but it is not true…. And I have stated so many times.

This however has never stopped me from assisting the Moderators (on the open forum and behind the scenes) to keep things under control. Cphilip and I handled the 9/11 Attack.. ALL DAY, and I had NO Moderating powers at all. There are other such examples, but you get the idea. Just being able to use the Moderating Tools is not what makes a Moderator in itself (or gives them “real” power)…. So I guess I would already fit the profile of a Moderator here on AO, but simply don’t have access to the forum tools available to them. This does not bother me.

And NOT being selected as an “official” Moderator to me is not in itself an insult. But what would be, is if the reasons were invalid ones. You see, any negative reasons given could very easily be shown to have been committed by most of the current Moderators as well (to include those mentioned as potential Moderators)…. and while in Moderator status. But we are all human right? No big deal.

But with that said, what “power” would I gain by simply having access to the Moderator Functions that I don’t have already? When I WAS a Moderator, I used them sparingly and usually only to move posts to more appropriate threads, help people with their accounts, clean up code for them in their posts, edit bad language, etc. Any “disciplinary” measures were not taken, and simply because I “talked” with them and solved the problem…. Just like I do now.

But what “powers” would I lose by having access to the Moderator Functions? I think I already touched on THAT issue earlier in this post. ;) And what actually does more good for AO? I think I am fine right where I am.. don’t you? I think AO gets the best of both worlds with me being a general member.

You see, there are often times more ways to look at things than head on, and frequently true power lies with those that “officially” have none. This applies to life as well….. you have to think out of the box. ;) :D

cphilip
03-29-2002, 08:11 AM
I'm a Mod? Well I better get with it then! ;)

Actually Marcia and JoAnn both have some Admin and Mod powers too so they can do some official business when needed. Yes Tom is an Admin. THE Admin!

I don't think we will be adding any more the way it is now. We have pretty good coverage. Its possible a temp or two may be employeed if needed but I seriously doubt any permanent ones will be.

Miscue
03-29-2002, 08:33 AM
Being a mod is not fun and games - although of course there are its highlights. Having to go through so many posts can get tedious - but we do it. But I think the worst thing by far is that we are under continual attack and unwarranted scrutiny - We don't like being the "bad guys," but people love to elevate things to a personal level and make us out to be when we are made to enforce the rules and take action upon them. Heck, I've even had people get outright nasty and flame me from other message boards after they were banned or something. But what can you do - that's just how things are and all the mods are used to it by now.

When it comes to decision making, one of the most difficult things about being a mod is keeping your ego in check. That darn thing can bite ya if you aren't paying attention to it. We all have them, some more than others... some exceedingly more than others - but lest we are human afterall. So, it is very important for us to stay relatively passive with our postings and not be too opinionated. You'd be surprised of what our opinions on things are (that the mods trade with each other) but do not mention... or there are even times when we act against our own opinions w/o any indication of it... because the job of being a moderator requires it.

I think all you guys know that we've been fair, pretty lenient (Heck, I'm sure you've all seen the numerous nastygrams directed to AGD or sometimes to the moderators that we always leave up so long as within the rules - that should say something), and consistent for the most part.

All the kindly comments are definitely appreciated! It lets us know that you guys think we're doing things the right way. We don't sit on a high horse or anything, so if you ever think we're out of line - feel free to shoot us right off that horse! Shoot us dead! We are open to criticism and are well willing to make changes if you think there is a problem.

-Miscue

DarkRipper
03-29-2002, 08:47 AM
I think the real question is: why would you WANT to be a mod?

It's more work and very little compensation.

TRUST me.

:)
DR

manike
03-29-2002, 09:25 AM
In my opinion it's not just about rule enforcement as that can lead to 'jobsworths' and those types of people along with 'little people with a little power' are the worst kinds of people.

You need to have a level head and be able to make decisions concerning the rules 'within the spirit of the rules'.

Just knowing what the rules are and pushing them without breaking them is not necessarily a good or respectable thing. Working within the spirit of them shows a better charachter in my opinion and more one in the making of what I would like to see in a moderator.

Having someone with a level head who can be impartial is I think the most important thing. I think we are fine with the mods as they are. I like the way they are personal people and none of them are on 'Ego trips', which I think may happen if Mod selection wasn't done very carefully :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and asking is a sure fire way not to get picked :)

I've been a 'silent mod' (as well as non silent) on forums and in chat rooms before and in many ways I prefer it that way. Some people let the words 'moderator' go to their head once they put it into their avatar and these are the sorts of people that shouldn't be modding. You should be modding to help, not for the power.

manike

(edited to make my point without quoting another AO member).

MikeCouves
03-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Yeah it doesn't sound like it would be very fun. I like to read posts and look at pictures. But looking over like every post must get boring. How do you guys record warnings and stuff? I would find that impossible.

Also, I think we need a mod over in this time zone. manmike's always on really early if he is, because he's over in Europe. I am here in Newfoundland, the most Easterly point in North America :), and when I am on in the morning there's no mods on for a couple hours at least.

Just a suggestion. Don't come knockin' on my door for a moderator, I'll slam it! Actually I dunno, I am here 5 hours a day anyways! What about you guys? How much time do you spend here? My life is in front of this computer.

manike
03-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by MikeCouves
Also, I think we need a mod over in this time zone.

That's actually a very valid point. There have been quite a few times when I have been in chat or online (my comp is 100% time connected as I work from it also) and there have been issues which could have done with a little moderating. But it does seem to have gotten better recently (and worse in other forums... :rolleyes: )

It's good that there are mods on each coast to help with those kinds of issues.

manike

shartley
03-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Directly after I posted, I DELETED it... I felt it was something I should take up with you directly so sent you a PM.

As for what is online NOW, it does not give a clear portrail of what happened or what was said. Please do as you think is correct....

manike
03-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by shartley
The way you diced it and took it out of context would be a semantics issue, pure and simple, since the way you interpreted it now is nowhere near my original intent.

Yes EXACTLY! That was my whole point. I wanted to use what you said in a completely different context to convey my feelings on the issue. People could have read what you said and taken it in other ways than you intended. (Which you accuse me of) I just wanted to point out that if they took it another way than intended then it was not a good thing.

manike

TheTramp
03-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Semantic issues are 50% of his arguments. I don't see why it should be a problem if others use the same arguments.

shartley
03-29-2002, 10:42 AM
TheTramp
I think this is a great time to use that all too well known saying...

ENDO!

:D:D:D

What is now online is not all of what happened, or all that was said. It has been resolved OFFLINE by Manike and Myself. Any further comments on the issues between Manike and Myself (by others not directly involved) would simply be uninformed and counterproductive. It would also be taking away from the topic of the thread.

I hope you understand. No offense is intended.

Army
03-29-2002, 11:43 AM
*Army pulls the belt off his Moderating pants...*

Don't make me use this you two! manike, go to your room. shartley, go stand in the corner. ...and I don't want anymore sass from either of you!

*sigh* See? Moderating is not the glamour job....

:cool:

krafty
03-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Oh no! Army's about to drop trow!

Talk about scaring someone straight....

shartley
03-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Army
This is just NOT FAIR!!!!!!

Manike has a TV, VCR, Stereo, and Video Games in his room! I have nothing but a lint ball in my corner………

(Can’t tell I have kids, can you?) ;)

Mango
03-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Ohh boy I see where this is going!! :cool:

Vegeta
03-29-2002, 01:02 PM
I was a mod on a forum about this size once. But instead of paintball, it was a gaming network, and my o my talk about problems. Sometimes, yes it was fun. You get to shoot down flamers, which was my personal favorite. I always had a few comments when I closed a thread, mainly exploiting the fact that the people who flamed in the thread were total idiots. My favorite comment was actually this hilarious picture I had on the server. I sure wish I could find it...

It was a picture of a mentally-ill child, presumably with Downs-syndrome, running with his arms flailing on a track. it said in large text:

"Fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics.... Even if you win you're still retarded."

I am so gonan go and find that picture now.

Oh and to the person who started this thread, you sure dont have a whole lot of posts for being here since the beginning. Most people that are would/couldbe mods are long time AOers, but are also very active on the boards. What good are you as a moderator if nobody knows you?

I try to keep the mods happy by posting about keeping flaming down and behavior on the best.

Oh, and to be a mod, you gotta be PimpT .....

manike
03-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Actually I don't have a video games console but I do have lots of other fun toys :) I am a gadget/tech toy fan.

Shartley. I've cleared out some of the posts and stuff.

manike

shartley
03-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Manike... thanks. :)

X-Plosive
03-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Well I just woke up and that's some pretty interesting reading. As for that Special Olympics picture, there is a guy on PBN with it and I honestly think it's cruel. Everything has been resolved so there's no need to stir up another argument. One thing Sam, I had edited a lot of sentences out and had no intent to attack you in anyway. At first it came off like a compliment and I was sucking up to you so I had to edit it. If you need to talk about anything else just pm me:) My post counter is pretty low too although I've been here for about a year now.

shartley
03-29-2002, 01:15 PM
X-Plosive
No need for the PM... I was not offended. I knew exactly what you were saying. There are however (as Manike pointed out) MANY new members that might not have read it quite the way I did... and simply because they are new.

Often times us older (as in membership, not AGE.. LOL) members can say things that we know other older members will instantly pick up on, but will be missed by the newer ones.

I am also not sending you this in a PM so that there is no misunderstandings left out there... I am NOT upset, I was NOT offended by your post. :D

X-Plosive
03-29-2002, 01:16 PM
I wuv you:)

shartley
03-29-2002, 01:19 PM
MODERATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;)

pumpamatic
03-29-2002, 02:55 PM
I think we could use a couple more moderators, yes the coverage is good, but it seems like Phil, Army, and Miscue are always here. I'm not sure if any of them have a real job. I think it would be nice to give them a break sometimes. Of course Tom did give all the mods a nice present once didn't he?

cphilip
03-29-2002, 02:59 PM
He he....got yourself a boy friend eh Shart? ;)

Oh one of the things I always mean to point out is how constraining this job can be. Most of you from way back remember when I was kind of the first early "Shartley/Manike" of the Forum. I challenged everything without fear. But politely as I could. I miss and envy now them that freedom that you lose when you are a Moderator. You have to check some of the vigor that you used to use. You have to put it in check because so much you say is magnified. I sit and watch issues and grate my teeth and just hope someone will come along and say what I am not free to say. I do wade in but never with the venom I might wish.

Oh and least you think all os us Mods always agree? Nope. we fight amongst ourselves and hammer out understandings all the time. IN or private place. I do not always agree with them nor them me. But we talk it over and come to a compromise.

Yes we keep records there. And a lot of us keep documents of violations and have our lists of troublemakers Ip's and quotes form them even if they do not get anything but a PM warning or something. We do a lot behind the scenes you do not even see.

Time zones? Well I am on about 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM EST most days during the week. I am on the East Coast. I keep a page open all the time at work. But sometimes I gotta work too! And then I pop in almost any time for a bit at night and on weekends. I have my online status hidden so you will never know if I am here or not.

Today I took the day off work and am working in the Garden so I am back and forth.

Also let me say this that you are ALL moderators. Your reports are appreciated. We don't always agree but we do check them out. It does help us do our jobs so thanks to all of you for helping Moderate this site.