PDA

View Full Version : automag RTs

billyjoe14
03-30-2002, 11:25 PM
do automag rts need more mantnence than regular 68 mags? and do they break down more?

thanks

DaosBeoulve
03-30-2002, 11:43 PM
Are you referring to the old style RTs, or the RT Pros? I can only speak of the RT Pro, since I never have had the privilege of owning one of the older versions. I don't think my RT Pro has any need for more maintenance than any other automag. It's basically just an automag with a retro valve, intelliframe w/ dye stickies, and the little foregrip that says RT Pro on it. I've had my gun for 4 months now, and haven't had to do anything with it, save for cleaning the barrel because the field I go to uses crappy paint and cleaning my bolt the few times I've short stroked it. Only gun I've ever owned that I could have apart, cleaned, and back together in thirty minutes=) As far as the older style RTs, I dunno Someone else wanna help him out with that...?

a_malfunction
03-31-2002, 01:21 AM
The older RTs were reliable as well.... some occasionally had problems with the gas-through rail and banjo bolt leaking, but I dont think it was anything a few o-rings couldnt fix...

mercury
03-31-2002, 08:22 AM
I bought my old style RT used and aside from a few user-caused problems, I haven't had a single problem with it in the last couple months. I have put about 10 cases through it with the only problems being my fault:

-Problem: Chopping paint like crazy. Solution: Got a foamie for my the foamie bolt I was using without a foamie because I didn't know any better.

-Problem: Chopping paint like crazy. Solution: Don't use Brass Eagle paint. Before anybody razzes me, I got it for $25 a case so I figured I could MAKE it work. I would rather pay 75 bucks a case for decent paint than ever play with that stuff again...even for practice.

-Problem: Couldn't get the banjo bolt out because an o-ring binded up in the hole. Solution: Worked it out in a few minutes and made sure to always put some oil on it before I insert it.

I also got a parts kit about 5 cases ago, as well as a new filter, plastic nubbins, and a few parabolic pf plugs (the plugs were free, mind you). I didn't really need the parts kit or the filter but I decided to overhaul it just because I bought it used and didn't know how much time had been put on the o-rings. Other than that, it is a very simple and effective marker. I haven't had problems with the hard air line either but I decide to take it off and put new teflon tape around the threads just in case. It requires very little maintenance and has yet to let me down after 20,000 rounds. The only thing you should do (and this is true of all markers) is clean and oil it after you use it. If you do that, (which takes all of 30 mins total) it won't let you down. As far as compared to 68 mags, I really couldn't tell you because I have never owned one, but I don't imagine they are too much different.

Jackalmag
03-31-2002, 11:42 PM
I've owned and been playing with my RT for 4 years and I have only had very minimal problems with it. Those problems were self inflicted. As far as maintaining the marker as long as you keep it clean and oiled you should never have any problems.I have only rebuilt the gun maybe 6 or 7 times in that 4 years and she has operated beautifully for me. I just bought a super bolt for it and it is amazing the difference it made in the performance of the marker. It has a faster rate of fire and reduced the recoil to practically nothing. I owned a 68 mag before this and maintanance wise there is no differnce but performance wise there is a night and day difference. I swear by my RT and I have many victims to testify to that. I have also owned a cocker and an angel but prefer the RT even though the cocker and the angel were both good guns if the RT goes down 20 bucks and 10 minutes and you are back up and rockin'. You can't beat that especially if you are on a budget. You will not find a more reliable gun. Granted I may not maintain the oiling schedule after every tournament but 4 years of reliable service speaks for its self. If you are trying to choose between the RT and the 68 my money is on the RT. Just my 2 cents.

PsychoMag
04-01-2002, 05:41 PM
just lube it and care for it, and it is highly reliable. As for Repair kits, my recommendation is NOT to replace the On/Off assembly Orings until they begin to leak.

Predater
04-01-2002, 07:43 PM
i use an olstyle rt and a new pro. they have the same mantinance as a 68mag. the old rt has 3 more o-rings but thats not a big deal.