PDA

View Full Version : Pump markers

giant1515
03-31-2002, 11:02 AM
What would you pump guys recommend? I'm looking to get one just for thrills and for days when I can't afford too much paint.

thanks for your input.

magsRus
03-31-2002, 11:15 AM
any kind of phantom or a sniper 1 or 2

Load SM5
03-31-2002, 11:21 AM
Heck, grab a PGP! Cheap and pretty solid all around. I really miss mine. It's really different heading out with a pistol.

HoppysMag
03-31-2002, 11:26 AM
If you want quality, Phantoms are good, especialy stock class ( even though i think they are a little over rated, i mean 200$ for a pump) but they are still great guns. iv never tried a sniper.

if you want cheap get a Maverick, or Hornet.

check out the sheridan Sheridan P-68 Speed Change. Just so you can have the ugliest gun on the field.

if your interested in phantoms check this out http://paintball.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phantomonline.co m%2F

lopxtc
03-31-2002, 11:29 AM
I have a stock class phantom from 93 and I love it ... if you want great out of the box performance for not much $$$ and easy to find then get a Phantom stock/gravity pump ...

If you want almost unlimited upgrades and customizing (is that spelled right? *L*) get a Sniper II ... you can even get some awesome pump setups from Chipley.

I have both a Sniper II and a Phantom and they both rock ... Also if you goto www.shireonline.com you can find a great selection of barrels for the phantom including Titanium Boomsticks *L* ...

Aaron

mag59459
03-31-2002, 12:12 PM
aside from using my emag, i like using my good old tigershark. I did a little trigger job, some ajustments to the spring to fix the velocity, and put on a nice scope. Its fun to play w/, I found (with a little force) you can use spyder barrels quit effectivly.

pip_999
03-31-2002, 12:16 PM
PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP PGP

sorry but that is one of teh greatest guns EVER made, behind the automag of course

krafty
03-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Can't go wrong with an SL68-II either. They're indestructable!

Goldie D Pimp
03-31-2002, 01:43 PM
I broke my SL out yesterday. I've had it since 1992 and it still works great! We had a bunch of young guys out there who were talking trash so I grabbed the SL and went after them!!! It was the most fun I've had playing paintball in a LONG time! I may start using it a little more!

Chris
03-31-2002, 02:39 PM
Sterling STP

IMO, best trigger I have ever felt, smooth as butta! You can not feel the hammer being released, cant feel the sear catching the hammer when pumping. Very light pump and trigger. Both are insanely smooth. Very consistant and comes with an excellent stock barrel. Also, it is lighter than the sniper, and much more rare than any phantom or most other pumps around.

-Chris

keiphers
03-31-2002, 02:58 PM
If you want to have a ton of fun and improve your skill, go with a PGP, like Load said. I got the new PGP on Friday. Its really cool. It also challenges your playing style (used to a Minimag and Bushmaster), but its a lot of fun. PGP all the way!

soilent green
03-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Sterling, Phantom, SL68II, Hammer. I've used all of them and more but those are what I would recomend from best to worst they are all good

Restola
03-31-2002, 03:56 PM
i just bought my 2nd phantom (VSC and centerfeed) and i must say i highly recommend them.

Vegeta
03-31-2002, 05:58 PM
If you are going to be in Paintball for a long time, I'd consider a Sniper 1 or 2. Mainly becuase they can be converted to an autococker. Even though it would be cheaper to buy a cocker than buy all the parts nessesary to convert it, its a sentimental thing. To say that you actually built your gun from the ground up instead of just buying it off a shelf.

Cristobal
03-31-2002, 06:22 PM
I've only got personal experience with SL-68 II, Hornet and Tigershark pumps. The first two are recommended, the last one (brass eagle) should be avoided like the plague.

I did a bit of research myself on pumps before I bought my Hornet and from what I've seen any of the markers suggested so far could be great, its really a matter of picking the best one for the money you've got. Browse over to pbreview.com and see what they have to say, too.

The Tippman SL-68 II is solid as a tank and a great dependable lower cost full-size pump maker. The newer (II version) comes stock with an integrated bottom-line, which is nice. So is the slot window in the side allowing easy access velocity adjustment and squeegee insertion.

My ACI hornet (basically a Maverick/Trracer but with undercocking rather than side-cocking arms) is a nelson-vale marker comparable to the SL-68; not as durable, but I like the fact that its nice and light.

I've always thought the PGP to be a neat little pistol, plus you can holster it to use as a secondary arm. I haven't ever seen one capable of accepting a bulk loader though I'm no expert on them.

Any of these are <100 used.

The more expensive phantoms and snipers are both sweet markers as the previous replies attest.

Something to consider if you buy a used marker is that some of the older versions of these guns don't make it easy to change velocity. Make sure you get one where you don't have to mess with swapping/cutting springs (especially on old nelson-based designs). Oh, and another thing about older pumps: make sure they have anti-doublefeeding and anti-double cocking devices.

TylerDurden
03-31-2002, 06:49 PM
I don't have any experience, and don't know anything about them, but the Carter Buzzard looks neat. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

dave_p
03-31-2002, 07:06 PM
i love mine, its heavy(solid brass)as heck and built to last, plus you can actually trick them out, ask punisher or doc nickel! polish em up, have em palmerized, no end to the fun. plus the pgp owners group is an awesome forum, easily as lucid and intelligent as this one, so you could have the distinction of belonging to two best of breed owners groups.
the best part is to get your buddies to get one as well and you can put on the masks and run around popping eachother with 10 dollars worth of paint and air from wallmart on days you dont go to the field. a nice one on one with 20 balls and a co2 cartridge each can be a lot of fun.

the JoKeR
03-31-2002, 08:32 PM
The PGPs are a blast to use, and like the Tippmanns, built like tanks. You might also be able to find a nice older pump, like the PMI-1 or LB. All very solid guns. Something that also helped me cut paint costs was the PTExtreme set up with a 45 round hopper. The velocity is low, and accuracy doesn't exist, but it's a blast. If you want to cut the cost of even buying the gun and save money for paint, I've got a pair of Trracer pumps and would part with one. PM me if interested.

a_malfunction
03-31-2002, 11:24 PM
I played my first game of paintball with an sl68-II... Those guns are just awesome..... I would say that they are more reliable than mags. You cant go wrong with one.

OtterSC
04-01-2002, 08:36 AM
depends what you looking for and type of play. looking for stock class? then go with a PGP. are you looking for direct feed pump? then go with a Phantom.

versitility wise, the Phantom is the way to go. technically, it is not stock class legal with the auto trigger. but you can play in modified stock class. you can get a breech for direct feed or stock class Mike (creator of the Phantom) is a real nice guy. he still repairs the original Phantoms som 13 years old or more. out of the box, no need for upgrades (hence, the lack of aftermarket parts available). you can get your favorite barrel in a Phantom thread.

i was able to find some old Lapco parts and converted to LP. am able to run at 100psi right now with the help of a lightened hammer, old style bolt, new springs, and a larger power tube. so these markers are great little project markers that are very forgiving.

like to also add as a side note that i have out ranged the flatlines with much better accuracy. 9" pie plate, 150ft, 9-shots out of 10. the best stock barrel that i have ever seen.

http://ottersccustoms.com/images/superphantom.jpg

Webmaster
04-01-2002, 08:40 AM
Id recoommend a Phantom - they are light - very well made - the stock barrel is accurate - and they come in many cool colors.

You can also run constant air on a phantom easily with direct feed - or run stock class and 12 grams. The autotrigger helps lay cover fire.

the sniper 2 is nice - but no autotrigger and heavier. Course, you can upgrade it to a cocker some day...

PGPs are ok - but its harder to run constant air on - and a pistol is harder to shoot accurately than something you can shoulder...

course - there are others like the Hornet, trracer, and sl-68 - but IMHO the phantom is the best for the money.

Fred
04-01-2002, 10:05 AM
I'd recommend a lower end pump first, and then, if you like it a lot, go for a Phantom or Sniper.

Phantoms are available in every format imaginable, as long as it's pump. :) colors, accesories, barrels, breeches, etc.

Sterlings are cool too, but i don't think they have as many mods (no Stock class).

Snipers can be converted to cockers.

hornets/tracers/mavericks can be converted to semi with a kit... (cockerizing it, kits are hard to find).

Try a few, see what you like best, that is what counts!

the JoKeR
04-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Load SM5- PMd you.

SPOOKI
04-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Out of personal experience I have found the phantom to be the optimal pump gun. Granted, they are a little pricy but you get an awesome marker. so if money isn't an issue, go for it. I have one myself and I'd recommend going for the stock class. The only downside is getting used to the ol' "rock & cock" method and laerning to chenge 12 grams around every 25-30 shots. but I'll tell you this, it'll definitely help you with you're accuracy since you don't have the volume on your side.
Also, I have recently looked into Palmers new stash of pump markers. You should check them out for yourself. They are really quite classy. I own a cocker also and have used Palmer pneumatics and have been extremely impressed by the performance, so I can only assume that he has placed the same quality in his pump/stock class markers.
I hope that I was able to help, if you need some more input, send me a PM and I'll get back with ya ASAP...

-Lance

Muzikman
04-03-2002, 04:12 PM
Sterling STP
Palmer Houndstooth
Phantom
Sniper II
Any other Sheridanbased Pump
Most other Nelson based Pumps

Those are the order in which I like my pumps. This does not take into account some of the very rare stuff such as a Carter.

manike
04-03-2002, 04:39 PM
I have a PGP, a Phantom VSC, and a Sterling STP.

All are great and fun guns. I love having a laugh with the PGP and for stock it's great.

The Phantom is also a very good high quality gun but I do believe that the Sterling is the BEST pump gun available.

The newer ones are even better. Very high quality. Very solid and a dream to shoot and work on. They feel the most quality of all three in your hands and if you want the ultimate pump, I think that's it.

manike

Restola
04-03-2002, 08:51 PM
here is a pic of my new phantom (yeah im bragging :) ). also have a centerfeed body and 3.5oz tank, but no pic yet of that config.

http://home.earthlink.net/~restola/ph1.jpg

manike
04-04-2002, 02:18 AM
Nice gun Restola :)

giant1515
04-04-2002, 11:54 AM
where can Sterlings be found? I've looked around and only found some trashy looking used ones.

manike
04-04-2002, 05:26 PM
There is now someone importing them to the USA... I think it's Maxx paintball or something?

I know Bill Mills got a brand new one at World Cup last year. Very nice!

You could always e-mail them from the www.arrow-precision.com website and ask them who has the guns in the states.

For those that are interested I hear there are some updates to the Sov II coming also... should be tasty and I will let you all know them as I find out!

manike

Lenny
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Wow, this is an old post. I doubt anyone will read this, but I have a BRUTE pump that's pretty good (right now the trigger frame pin came out of the body, so I need to re-solder it). I also have an old Splatmaster that I bought from the old NPPL President off of ebay. Kinda cool, but wierd, and plastic. PGP's are amazing when it comes to pistols (I plan on buying 2 soon).

The reason I want to buy two is because I want to make an old-school modified shooter. Yup, Palmer Barrel Extension, make-it-yourself-out-of-plumbing-wares gas line, and a 20 ball PVC ball expansion. I plan on buying a rear velocity adjuster and a trigger shoe also.

Aslan
06-10-2005, 06:51 PM
I've used a Brute, Spitfire II, PMI Trracer, Tiger Shark, Talon, and Vulcan.

Talons and vulcans are garbage..not worth even the $5 they cost. :cool:

The Tiger Shark has some range issues and is made of plastic...but they're just as accurate as any other pump and you can get them for less than $10. :headbang:

The Spitfire II is okay...it's accurate and has a ported barell, but I've had some problems with it's durability. :tard:

The Trracer is good quality, good all-around.

The BRUTE is the best pump I've ever used. It's the most accurate gun I've ever used, has a barell like the old Tippmann Pro-Lite. I still have it, hope to find a part I need for it and get it back out of retirement. :shooting:

Some of the high-end pumps look cool and are probably ALOT more upgradable...but I just don't see the point in wasting >$100 on a pump unless you are going to play in pump tournaments or something. :cheers:
:dance:

peewee
06-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Phantoms used on ebay $125 ish. Been using phantoms as long as mags (1992) they are great markers. :D Read this:

http://www.stockclasspaintball.com/articles/reviews/phantomreview.shtml

vonort
06-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Go to www.stockclasspaintball.com and look up www.wevopaintball.com Wevo is a great guy to deal with. Thats where I got my phantom from. He is also dealing with the new Sterlings.

Spaceman613
06-11-2005, 10:57 AM
If your looking for phantoms... go to the phantom owners group

http://pub15.ezboard.com/bphantomphorum75007

about the best, unbiased place to talk pumpers.