PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to have a bolt that has a. . . . .

Dv8ed
04-02-2002, 04:44 AM
nozzle type bore? i thought of this as a senior project for my college(yes a project is required to graduate :) ).
low pressure entering the bolt/high pressure exiting, can it be done without shattering the shell of the paintball? what will be the problems associated with this design? just a thought, let me know what you all think.

athomas
04-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Using a nozzle to increase pressure requires the air source to be able to deliver a continuous volume of air to the nozzle. By feeding this continuous air volume through a smaller opening, you increase the pressure and velocity of the air moving through it. The energy required to maintain this air volume also increases when you restrict the flow using a nozzle.

On the other hand when you go back to a larger opening you lose pressure and velocity.

In a paintball gun, the barrel always acts as the final nozzle opening. The air/CO2 travels down this barrel at a velocity determined by the pressure available to accelerate the paintball. To have the barrel be the smaller accelerated air nozzle, you would have to feed it with a larger low pressure source. That would make your paintball gun very large. Also, the source would have to be able to maintain the constant volume of air. This in itself takes energy which would have to somehow come from the air source resulting in additional mechanics/pneumatics.

Many people have tooled with the internals of paintball guns. The major concensous is that the most efficient way to propel the paintball is to get rid of any obstructions that interfer with the free flow of air behind the paintball. This would include nozzles which are restrictions in the flow.

cphilip
04-02-2002, 01:08 PM
Spring Cleaning in Deep blue.

Going to main with this one. If it pciks up real good we can move it back. Lets see if we can generate more input out there.

liigod
04-02-2002, 02:51 PM
would the point be to blow more paint?

Vegeta
04-02-2002, 05:59 PM
I do not know all the facts about tis one, but you must be very carefulwhen developing things like this. If the bolt is tapered into a smaller bore near the end, the air will come out, and somewhere form a small vertex where all that air will concentrate on. If this point is too 'sharp' it would damage the paint, or even chop it in half athe right pressures.

Phantom-Menace
04-08-2002, 10:04 PM
Yes, but it would use tanks more efficiently (assuming energy was not lost forcing air through a nozzle, which it should be), because you can bleed a tank to 200PSI or just the the point where say a stock cocker needs just that much air to cycle properly, then you can somehow up the operating pressure to slightly higher where it runs better.
This doesnt make sense at the bolt, but before the valve it may, 200psi and high volume out of the tank translates to 600psi and low volume into the valve, and it can operate as normal, and run the tank dry.