PDA

View Full Version : I Move That We Make A New Rule At AO

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 11:33 AM
ok i think its time that we do something about this, its been buggin me and i think it should stop

its an "unwritten" rule that you signature can contain a picture(s) with a total no larger than 15000 bytes
well since we are growing by leaps and bounds i think that we need to let everyone know and start to take control of this, people with slow modems and what not should not have to wait for everyones super large sig to show up, and its VERY annoying to look down a thread and see nothing but huge pictures

i think its time to stop
and i for one am willing to help

thanks
Cliff

Miscue
04-02-2002, 11:37 AM
You can disable viewing people sigs in user cp.

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 11:38 AM
and ignoreing it will make it go away?
i like seeing creative signatures but large ones are still not fair to everyone

pito189
04-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Cliffio
and ignoreing it will make it go away?
i like seeing creative signatures but large ones are still not fair to everyone

He is not ignoring it. If people who have slow modems do not want to have to worry about downloading signature images. Then they go to their user control panel and turn it off.

pip_999
04-02-2002, 12:32 PM
people like there sigs

and hey man your sig has a pic, so jsut calm down, its no biggy, my friend runs 28.8 and he runs the page pretty fast, and then there is always the cp

BTAutoMag
04-02-2002, 12:32 PM
i was asked to lighten the load on my sig today and i didnt mind. im just glad he told me before kicking me off.

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 12:33 PM
i realize that
but why change when you shouldnt have to?

if its an unwritten rule, why then can it not be a rule and be enforced?

it would also help EVERYONE with website download times and help servers and all of that good stuff

Panzerr
04-02-2002, 12:33 PM
I agree with you. There should be a limit to the screen size of the pic too, maybe 100 by 300 pixels or something like that.

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by pip_999
people like there sigs

and hey man your sig has a pic, so jsut calm down, its no biggy, my friend runs 28.8 and he runs the page pretty fast, and then there is always the cp

you miss understand

im for sig pics but if you look at mine its right around 5000 bytes

now look at yours
46034 bytes
WAY over the alloted 15000 bytes

thei3ug
04-02-2002, 12:36 PM
Note my sig image.

I HATE the buggers. they're just annoying to load and load and load. and you're right, people like me can turn them off. but why should it be such a problem that we have to?

Shaft
04-02-2002, 12:41 PM
I second this motion!
Some sigs are good. Some are are ok. And many just waste space.

Actually, I think its more important that people post there sig only once in a thread and then disable it for every reply they do in that same thread.
It was something we did awhile back but now only one or two comply with this one.

BTAutoMag
04-02-2002, 12:43 PM
just make it a rule and if everyone protests kick em off

pip_999
04-02-2002, 12:58 PM
lol

i think its funny that the guy who says that sig pictures are stupid has that in his sig???
whats that word again when u do something, but you dont want it to be done

ah i dunno

and 46k isnt that bad for a jpg, some people need to lighten up, but then there are some people who have huge sig files, but its nothing to get all crazy bout

pip_999
04-02-2002, 12:59 PM
aight i will bring down the size of my sig pic if ya want
i jsut dont know how cause i have to pull it right form a website right, or can i pull it off my hardrive?

Jonno06
04-02-2002, 01:09 PM
yea,i got an email from Rob awhile ago telling me to shorten my sig..so I did.i dont remember whats in it know,but im taking out all the pics....

ps,i dont mind ANY size sig pic.

pip_999
04-02-2002, 01:14 PM
i bet you i have e-mail wehn i get home from the moderators tellin me to shorten my sig

but i mean tehre are some guys who have like 8 quotes in there sig then like 4 pictures and then a bunch of animated sutff in between

liigod
04-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by BTAutoMag
just make it a rule and if everyone protests kick em off

This sounds quite facist. If theres a problem then we must make a law against it.:rolleyes: We should just be curtious enough to do this on our own.

mykroft
04-02-2002, 01:28 PM
I'm not a fan of Sig pics. Shartley's logo's are neat, but unnecessary, and whever it is with the sig that requires a plug-in, that's incredibly annoying.

You could always try ASCII art and go Old School.

Temo Vryce
04-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Thanks Mykroft I feel old now. I remember those ASCII pictures from the old BBS days.

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by liigod
We should just be curtious enough to do this on our own.

but they arent so it comes to this, alot of new people have no idea about the 15000 "rule"

ive brought it up a few times and people just dismiss it

cphilip
04-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Well Cliffio there is an unwritten rule about using you signature line in just one post per thread and you don't bother to turn yours off either. Both of those would be good polite things to do...

Set an example.

Yes we do talk to folks about the signatures. You have seen me do so. It takes a while to catch up to them all with so much else to do its not top priority. But your right it needs to be taken care of.

Cliffio
04-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Well Cliffio there is an unwritten rule about using you signature line in just one post per thread and you don't bother to turn yours off either. Both of those would be good polite things to do...

i was not aware of that, i will do that then,
so it goes to show that if its unwritten then no one knows about it
:)

Panzerr
04-02-2002, 02:20 PM
He's got a point, cphilip.

cphilip
04-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Tee hee...Well I guess they are written now! I think they are more "net courtesy" than anything else.

TheTramp
04-02-2002, 04:00 PM
The sigs that are 8 inches long and show up many times in one thread are way out of hand. I'd love to see this issue resolved.

mattyfatty182
04-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Where were you guys when I started a thread about this exact issue last week? :D

*EDIT*
Also, I think we should make it so that there are no more "My mag pics" threads. If people really cared that much, they would look/post in the Automag Pics thread.

RobAGD
04-02-2002, 04:30 PM
Guys I have contacted I think maybe 10 people about sig images or just flat the ammount of space thier sig takes up on teh screen. I mean I run mine monitor at 1600x1200 and when a GOOD size chunk of THAT is someone sig then there is a problem.

The bigest problem is the vertal stacking of stuff

[pic]
5 lines of text
[pic]
more text

this eats up a lot of vertical space.

I am looking into a way to make it go east west vs north south but this might be just the way the vbullitin handles everything.

for giggles some times drop your monitors rez down to 800x600 or 1024x768 and look at one of your post.

-Robert

Panzerr
04-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I run my monitor at 800 by 600, and Cliffo's sig takes up the majority of my screen. pip_999's sig takes up all but a line or two. How necessary is it to have a sig this large?

Cypres0099
04-02-2002, 04:40 PM
I hadn't even noticed the turn off sig button, but now that I know I will try to do that.

You can make your sig go horizontal instead of vertical. You just insert html tags into the space provided to type. It's like your own mini webpage!:D Just use the align=right Align=left ect...

Aliens-8-MyDad
04-02-2002, 05:08 PM
cliffo your image in the sig is the only one that bothers me!

Hysperion
04-02-2002, 05:25 PM
move into the 21st century and get a high-speed connection...then quit your whining...I don't want to hear "Oh, I can't afford one...", not our problem and if that's the case turn off the sig images as suggested.

Snooky
04-02-2002, 05:30 PM
I like the sig images and quotes and as long as u don't have over a screen on my 800 x 600 i don't mind.

MikeCouves
04-02-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't really like sig images. Funny ones are cool, but the stupid ones are useless. The name ones are cool too. A bit of text, maybe a link is all you need.

Aliens-8-Mydad I think alot of us should follow how you put your text in smaller form. I am going to go do that now.

BTAutoMag
04-02-2002, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by liigod

This sounds quite facist. If theres a problem then we must make a law against it.:rolleyes: We should just be curtious enough to do this on our own.

you do know i was trying to be funny?

Vegeta
04-02-2002, 08:21 PM
pip_99 your sig is not large to load becuase its monochrome.. now these people with like 640 by 480 pics in thier sigs of their guns is ridiculous...

theraidenproject
04-02-2002, 08:31 PM
i dont mind the large ones because i have cable at home and T1 @ school. how's my sig? a little big, but file size is reasonable (IIRC its under 15k, but when i right click it, it says size is not available), in my opinion.

Doobie
04-02-2002, 08:49 PM
I was not aware that I could turn off my sig on an individual post. I will do that for all my subsequent posts from now on.
some things bother me though:

MikeCouves- I don't really like sig images. Funny ones are cool, but the stupid ones are useless.

Who decides which ones are funny and cool. And I should have to change MY sig because You have your settings at 800x600?
:confused:
Next we will have to stop using Smilies. Then how do you transmit personality, originality, and personal style accross. Really big sigs can be annoying, but I recognize a lot of people by theirs. I guess i'm cool with it. Express the hell out ya self!

my 2 cents

thei3ug
04-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Hysperion
move into the 21st century and get a high-speed connection...then quit your whining...I don't want to hear "Oh, I can't afford one...", not our problem and if that's the case turn off the sig images as suggested.

hey jerk, if you ran my dog over and said "oh, well he shouldn't have been on the sidwalk when i was drunk, not my problem," think anyone'd buy it?

Some local areas don't OFFER high speed connections, and the fastest modem connect you can get is 14.4. Sometimes I run it without images at all. But this whole "i'll do what I want regardless of the consequences to others" is a load of crap.

pip_999
04-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Vegeta
pip_99 your sig is not large to load becuase its monochrome.. now these people with like 640 by 480 pics in thier sigs of their guns is ridiculous...

thanx vegeta

now look at my sig yeah its large but how do i make it smaller someone give me soem vbcode taht does that and i will do it, plus my sig is only 40k right now, so taht means that users running at 28.8 it takes them just over 1 second to load my images

well excusssssssse meeeeeeee

Manuel_FZR
04-03-2002, 01:43 AM
I think, the images should have a limited space and size. First, it makes the board slow, and second, users with slow modems find it boaring ... and they also like to see nice sigs!
Also some are verry large; this is also a bad point, if you have to scrol down a side for only one answer with 2 lines of text and the rest of the side with a sig ... :rolleyes:

Hexis
04-03-2002, 08:21 AM
pip_999 I'm going to introduce you to this neat thing called math. With math units are very important.

You have a 40kbyte sig. That's 320kbits. On a 28.8kbit modem you get an actual transfer rate of about 20kbits/second (there is overhead in IP). So it would take a 28.8 user about 16 seconds to download just your sig. Now mutiply that by a possible 30 different sigs on a single page of a thread (that's the worst case) and you have 480 seconds to get _just_ the sigs of a thread (if they were all 40k and there were 30 different ones). That doesn't include any of the actual thread content. That's a possible 8 min load time. Maybe it's time to rethink your 40k sig.

cphilip
04-03-2002, 08:33 AM
Everyone concerned about Publishing Rules. Rules are already here specific to our Forum. But the world around has things outside of that called etiquette. And so does the net. It's commonly called Netiquette. People here tend not to seem to follow much of this. But its not realy something that all Net sites ought to have to restate. You should learn it and use it everywhere you go just like table manners.

You might all start by reading this: http://goto.intwg.com/

Here is some more good stuff: http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/dis.html

Pleanty more involving graphics and stuff out there. read em. Apply them. Live them.

pip_999
04-03-2002, 08:35 AM
im keepin my sig how it is

and i thought it was 28.8k sec
my bad

cphilip
04-03-2002, 08:38 AM
No pip...Change it. Down size it. Don't be a Cad!

pip_999
04-03-2002, 08:41 AM
i dont know how man

cause after all i gotta pull it off a webpage

cphilip
04-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Ok then if I am understanig you correctly you linked it off some other site in that size. So in order to do it you will have to edit it in some kind of graphics/photo editing program (you have one somewhere on your computer I bet) and save it as a smaller one and host it up.

Shaft
04-03-2002, 10:22 AM
No pip...Change it. Down size it. Don't be a Cad!

Huhwa hwa hwa. Ha ha.

pip_999
04-03-2002, 01:09 PM
cad? wtf

cphilip
04-03-2002, 01:23 PM
Cad:

Pronunciation: 'kad
Function: noun
Etymology: English dialect, unskilled assistant, short for Scots caddie
Date: 1833

Definition: a man who acts with deliberate disregard for another's feelings or rights

Text: a person without gentlemanly instincts <gloated over his rival's distress like the cad that he was>

Synonyms: bounder, cur, rotter, yellow dog,

Related Words: boor, churl, clown, lout; guttersnipe, mucker, vulgarian, creep, heel, louse, rat, stinker

Idioms: Jack Nasty

Antonyms: gentleman

Shaft
04-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Cad:

Definition: a man who acts with deliberate disregard for another's feelings or rights

Text: a person without gentlemanly instincts <gloated over his rival's distress like the cad that he was>

Related Words: boor, churl, clown, lout; guttersnipe, mucker, vulgarian, creep, heel, louse, rat, stinker

HWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! Guttersnipe! HA ha ha ha ha ha! You're coming to the Chi for Shatnerball right? I'm buying you a beer!!

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 02:07 PM
Cad:

one word for all that...

owned

TheTramp
04-03-2002, 02:09 PM
"bounder" I like it.

Johnny Bravo
04-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Mine too big?

openboater
04-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you,

Now that I know I can disable those annoying sigs, I did and everything runs much faster for me. Now I know the world is just chuck full of unique people and most of you want to show me that with your wonderfully artistic and personal signatures, but personally, I come here for information. If I want to see beauty, I'll look at my wife or my Mag's.

Again, thanks for this thread, I leaned how to disable sigs and make my life easier, Hey isn't that what AO is all
about ??

X-Plosive
04-03-2002, 09:50 PM
I'm running on 1600x1200 and on cable so I find no problem with the sigs. But I can understand how some people can get annoyed with massive sigs. Maybe it would be best to disable sigs and only use avatars? But that idea is probably going to be very unpopular.

pip_999
04-04-2002, 08:17 AM
why do i feel like i am getin flamed

*hangs head in shame*

cphilip
04-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Sorry Pip I was just messin with ya. ;)

NOW QUIT PUTTING YOUR SIGNATURE IN EVERY RESPONSE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

pip_999
04-04-2002, 09:27 AM
my bad

but u wont have ot ***** anymore cause im gonna go jump off a bridge :D:D

cphilip
04-04-2002, 09:35 AM
...and the challenging of the filter to...(sigh)

:rolleyes:

pip_999
04-04-2002, 04:44 PM
nt