PDA

View Full Version : All Kinds of RT Questions.......

gonefishin
04-02-2002, 01:20 PM
I just recently adopted (bought) a used RT. Of course the auction was for a marker that was in "PERFECT" condition and it had just been checked by a certified air smith......

Well, now that I have the gun, I feel like I bought a Ford Pinto.....

Seriously - This is my first mag (have had blow-back semi autos and even a cocker in the past). I did some researched and decided that I wanted to give the Automag RT a try. Here are the problems that I am experiencing:

1) Gun vents from the front of barrel and gets no trigger pressure. ::Suggestions::

2) I normally can disassemble the valve and put it back together and get the marker to work fine. ::Suggestions::

3) When I first disassembled the valve, the spring pack was caked in grease. How much is recommented?

4) When I first received the marker it was basically dripping oil. I know mags are oil hungry, but how much is enough.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I did order a parts kit and plan to rebuild the valve this weekend.

Thanks

the JoKeR
04-02-2002, 02:40 PM
It looks like your #1 and 2 contridict each other. After you rebuild the valve, the gun works or doesn't?
#3: greasy springs are happy springs, although I'd expect you don't want them packed with grease.
#4: dripping with oil probably means the guy you bought it from just oiled it heavily before shipping it to you (and hopefully he wasn't trying to make up for years of NOT oiling it!). I usually only run a few drops through mine before using it for the day and after cleaning it up after use.

Use common sense when rebuilding the valve with your rebuild kit and unless you've got bad parts, you should be fine. It's a rock solid gun that doesn't require a whole lot of work.

gonefishin
04-02-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I know that #1 and #2 do not make much sense. That is why I posted this message. It is almost as if something in the valve is hanging up then, when I take it apart and reassemble, it resolves the issue.

Also, what actually causes the front venting?

Thanks

the JoKeR
04-02-2002, 03:47 PM
Sounds like either a bad o-ring inside the valve or your spacer might be the wrong size. If it's the spacer, you'll either get air leaking down the barrel or bolt-stick. You can pick up a spacer kit for around $12-15 or so that should fix that problem. Check around this site for what bigger or smaller spacers do. I don't remember and have never had to change mine. One airleak I had in mine that really irritated me was a constant leaking from inside the valve that only went away when I held the trigger in. Turns out it was the little o-ring inside the on/off valve. I didn't even know there was one in there! You might also want to contact AGD tech support and see if they can walk you through finding what the problem is, although rebuilding the valve with new o-rings first isn't a bad idea. Just be very careful when replacing them, there's LOTS of them and many sizes.

a_malfunction
04-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Also, when you gas up an RT, you either have to hold the trigger down or give it a very quick burst of gas to allow everything to seal. If you dont, you will leak down the barrel.

PyRo
04-02-2002, 08:44 PM
1. When you gas up your gun try holding back the trigger, then letting go after you gas it up. This will help if your problem only occurs when you first gas up, and goes away after that. If not then you either have a bad PT o-ring, or need a differant size spacer.

2. Good for you :)

3. It should have a decent amount of greese on it. It keeps it from rusting, and keeps it lubed.

4. You want to put about 4 drops of oil in the ASA, and fire about 20-30 times before and/or after you use it.

Rebuilding the valve actually won't do much for you exept for a possible bad PT o-ring. If your going to rebuild, clean everything out throughly first (exept the spring pack, unless you plan on regreasing it).

mrhooie
04-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Ran in to the EXACT same thing with my RT

Call AGD, get RA number - send in and have it back in like 10 days..

have them rebuild it - it's worth the money

that's what I did

PyRo
04-03-2002, 07:12 AM
I would recommennd trying some of the suggestions here before spending $45 to send it in.

hitech
04-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Here is a link to an exploded view of the ReTro valve:

http://store.airgun.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=17&Product_ID=240&CATID=6

You should also call AGD and get the RT Video. They don't seem to have it in the online store, but you should be able to call and get it. Here is a link to the emag video.