PDA

View Full Version : lower pressure problem with retro valve

OrangeDude
04-03-2002, 01:11 AM
Hi,
People told me that lower pressure means more accurate the marker but less reactiveness and the inverse higher pressure less accuracy and higher reactiveness. Well i have a minimag with a rt valve and a smart parts 68cu 3000psi max flow tank. When i tried to lower the pressure down to 600 and lower the balls would drop about 10-15 feet in front of me. My valve gassed up fine and there was no air leek. Is this supposed to happen if not what am i doing wrong. it only shoots normal when i adjust the tank to 800+ psi
thnx

BlackVCG
04-03-2002, 02:29 AM
Chances are, the tank is putting out less than the guage says. So at lower inputs you're not filling the air chamber to even 400psi or so, which is making your velocity so low. If you can, hook up your Max-Flo to an output tester and see if it's accurate.

PyRo
04-03-2002, 07:14 AM
Accuracy has nothing to do with what the input pressure is. The retro valve has a built in regulator. This means that weather the tank is putting out 600, or 1200 psi, the same amount of pressure will still end up behind the ball. Ajust your pressure according to the reactivness you want. Accuracy won't be affected.

pip_999
04-03-2002, 09:40 AM
dont they need a certain amount of psi to even shoot, so obviously you are not meeting the requirement

i think

PyRo
04-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Thats basically what black said...
You want atleast 200 psi between regs. The built in one goes down to 400 psi. This means you need atleast a 600 input. If the gauge is reading incorrectly, then your not putting enough air for the reg to properly work.

OrangeDude
04-03-2002, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the helps guys. But i have other questions; then what is the advantage of lowering the pressure? Conserving the gas? I always hear people telling me that lower pressure is better; so thats why i'm trying to lower it to see if i get better performance. So you guys saying that my reg might not by showing the correct pressure? I thought that if there wasn't even enough pressure in the valve then the valve would leak is that correct? Should i gas it up to 800 to seal it then lower it down? I've been just setting the valve to 400 psi then gassing it up and there is still a seal.

TheTramp
04-03-2002, 11:14 AM
With the Retro valve, lowering the input pressure will improve the shot to shot consistancy. The has the effect of making your shots all have the same distance (aproximatly) so the balls will seem to be more acurate. IE you don't have to move the marker to get the balls to the same place.

The Retro is a reg and it's set to around 400psi. If you have 400psi coming out of your tank, the gun will gass up but you will get poor performance. As said before, you want at least 200psi between regs so you need AT LEAST 600psi going into the Retro or you will have bad shoot down (that's when the balls drop 15 feet in front of you) and very poor reactivity.

hitech
04-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by OrangeDude
...then what is the advantage of lowering the pressure?

NONE. Adjust the output pressure from the HPA tank to whatever gives you the "reactiveness" you want in the trigger. As everyone else has said you want AT LEAST 200 psi between regs. Since the ReTro is somewhere in the 400 psi range you don't want to go below 600 psi.

pblunchbox
04-03-2002, 10:45 PM
its great on say a cocker. i know cause my cocker runs at 140 psi, i dont chop paint or anything, and i use less air.
but for an RT i agree with what these guys say. there is no real way that i have seen (not saying it does not exist)
to make a low pressure mag. if anyone has pics PM me with them please :D
right..enough of my ramblings.

OrangeDude
04-04-2002, 12:00 AM
See thats what i mean. I've heard of many markers running on really low pressure like the cockers and shockers, why is that? Is it just to conserve air only?

Butterfingers
04-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Low pressure is also a marketing tactic. Somthing new to draw money out of your pocket.

There is no real advantage to lowering firing pressure. Most the things you hear about "low pressure" are myths.

Truthfully its just a way to get people to spend money on parts they don't need. Thats why you see these manufacturers make these outrageous claims which 99% of the time is not true.

Its like saying that a quart of miracle oil that you can throw into your car can increase horsepower by 20 percent. It simply isn't true. But the manufacturer knows you will NEVER know if it makes a diffrence or not. Its all in marketing.

If you want more info search "low pressure" on this forum.

Cocking pressure on the other hand like on cockers helps reduce chops. Because it is throwing around the bolt with less force. But, it also makes the gun slower.

Back to your RT. Just throw paint into it set it to a pressure above 600 psi to acheive the reactiveness you want and you are ready to go. No frills, no gimmics, no hype just fire and go performance.

Whats up with markers running on really low pressure like the cockers and shockers?

I'll tell you. Low pressure is the "in" thing now, nobody has been able to prove past speculation that it does anything. Its like bellbottoms, leather jackets, LA gear sneakers, and platform shoes. People will buy more because other people have it too.

Other than being "in" the money making advantage of low pressure is twofold.

Now, if you have a low pressure gun you now must buy a more expensive low pressure air systems to adequately feed the gun otherwise it will work like crap. Because low pressure air flows SLOWER.

Now you gotta buy high flow regs, high flow valves, high flow bolts, ect.

That all equals more money out of your pocket and into the hands of the sly jocks in the paintball industry.

As you can see there is a GREAT advantage to "low pressure" but only if you are in the producing end.

The thing that has the paintball industry laughing is that alot of people continue to SMILE AND NOD and believe EVERYTHING they hear as the paintball indusry bends them over and slides a well greased low pressure "phalic object" up a particular orfice of thier body.

You know why? because they were coaxed into beleiving that low pressure makes thier gun better so they preach it to everybody like it were a daily prayer.

Don't be one of them.

Poseidon
04-04-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by OrangeDude
See thats what i mean. I've heard of many markers running on really low pressure like the cockers and shockers, why is that? Is it just to conserve air only? One thing about low pressure that you need to understand is that with hlow pressure you need high voluses of air. Lower the pressure, the more volume you use.

Most LP guns aren't as gas effiect as HP guns because they run at such a low pressure. Cockers a bit diffrent beacause aftermarket parts save on air effecientcy because they are better quality, and lower the pressure at the same time. Shockers are hogs because they use 2 soleniods so that It can be closed bolt. Impulses suck a bit more than bushmaster. They are damn near the same guns, but Imp's run at a lower pressure.

Lower pressure helps keep paintballs from distorting alot when they go down the barrel. In all truth, LP guns don't help accuracy, because or things such as ported barrels, and the lenth of barrels, but they however do help in areas such as ball breaks.

There are some good things about LP, lots of it is hype, but 400 psi is plenty low.

pblunchbox
04-04-2002, 02:07 AM
i would never have gone LP if i was not sponsord by one of the main companys to make LP parts and guns.
I was practicly given the parts ;)!
if not for that i would not have done it. my cocker ran fine on "high pressure" and proper rock adjustment kept me from breaking balls as well.
Yeah most companies are getting ritch off of (and i say this with a sarcastic tone btw) "KIDDS" buying their stuff cause the totaly americans or Robert Wong's Steelmen are shooting those things. Shockers are good guns dont get me wrong, but dang to the suck the air down. Bushys and imps well i will leave that alone:D. but for the rest of it. Does your RT work when you have it at Xpsi? can you still eliminate people? Do you have fun? then why mess with it?
Just my 2 cp worth.
Brandon

OrangeDude
04-04-2002, 03:21 AM
ok thanks for the really interesting info guys. I honestly didn't know about the lp myth till now. You know how it is you just want to tweak with your gun to see what miracles it can do. I had adjustible tank and nothing to loose so i wanted to see if it would perform better by lowering the pressure.