PDA

View Full Version : Freak Front vs All American front for an RT PRO

shotat
04-03-2002, 10:33 AM
I am about to order the Freak Kit for my RT Pro and I was wondering which front would be better. The only real thing I have found out about the two is that the All American front is $10 extra and the shortest length it starts out as is 14". The Freak front starts out at 10" I believe. So anyway, opinions, suggestions as to which one is better, more accurate, cooler, whatever.........

mykroft
04-03-2002, 10:46 AM
I prefer the AA tip, i find it easier to clean. The AA tip starts at 12" not 14" as well.

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 11:09 AM
this was just posted last week

do a search

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 12:20 PM
excuse me for trying to be helpfull and get you an answer...

but your ceartainly dont need to attack me for trying to help you

i was saying that it was just posted last week and there were many posts on that thread so im sure your answer is there

Dragoon
04-03-2002, 12:22 PM
To lend you a hand in your decision making here is my .02

I own and have used both a 12" freak front and a 14" AA. I find it easier to aim with the AA since it is straight. The regular freak front tapers in then flares out again. I find this shape harder to aim quickly with (and it does not look as nice :D )

Hope this helps.

Douglas

cphilip
04-03-2002, 12:24 PM
Guys...lets try and be a little gentler with the search reminders. But that doesn't give anyone the right to curse now does it? So lets all start over here ok?

I like the 10 inch tip and I don't see the AA in that size do you? But I noticed the 14" AA tip I have is a inch shorter than the supposedly same length Tear Drop I have. Go figure right? So if that trend holds true...a 12 inch AA I think would be nice.

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 12:27 PM
also the AA fronts are IMO quieter and the are also easier to clean, and really the regular all american barrels are some of the best ive ever shot, so i would guess that the freak fronts have the same characteristics

but i just bought a new 14" AA and im gonna find out for sure

SlipknotX556
04-03-2002, 12:28 PM
The AA is nice. But I prefer the freak tip. I dont know why i just do.

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by shotat
I am about to order the Freak Kit for my RT Pro and I was wondering which front would be better. The only real thing I have found out about the two is that the All American front is $10 extra and the shortest length it starts out as is 14". The Freak front starts out at 10" I believe. So anyway, opinions, suggestions as to which one is better, more accurate, cooler, whatever.........

ok couple of things about this,
the AA's now come in 12,14,16,& 18 depending on where you get it from, since alot of places do not carry the 2002 smart parts barrels yet

also you mentioned accuracy, well both the freak and the AA tips are the same bore, which are larger than that of the inserts, i think its like a .7xx i cant remember exactly
so they will both be essentually the same

i believe that the AA has more porting so it will be a tad bit less efficient, but you wont even notice

pip_999
04-03-2002, 12:34 PM
i would go with the freak myself, just because i play front so it is easier to work the bunkers witha 10" than with a 14", plus i got an AA right now, its a 14" and i dont like

cphilip
04-03-2002, 12:35 PM
I think they are nice barrels too cliffio. Its just I do not like the long length of the 14 inch tips especially in the Tear Drop when they are magnified by the extra inch and a half that the mag back puts on them. So I think the 12 inch would be the better choice. The 14" tear drop tip when installed on the back is like 15.5 inches long but the same tip in the AA is like 14.5 so its a bit better. But I like a 12 inch barrel so a 10 inch tip comes in closer to my liking at least with the tear drop tips and seems they do not make the AA in that. But notice the difference in the two types I found. Maybe the AA would be alright in 12 inch if that discrepency is still true and they run an inch shorter.

cphilip
04-03-2002, 12:41 PM
First of all there is some confussion here. There are two tip styles. The Tear Drop and the All American tip. There is no "Freak" tip so to speak. I think you are confusing the Tear Drop with this term. Both of these tips are modeled after the Smart Parts barrels of the same name.Look pretty much just like them.

The Tear Drop tip has a tulip shaped end to it with all the porting down on this "tear Drop" shaped protrussion in the end. It comes in 10, 12, 14, ...? Maybe larger.

The AA tip has spiraled porting all the way the length of it and is a straight tube. Comes in 12, 14 ...?

Phil
04-03-2002, 01:10 PM
I really like my freak tip. I have never tried the AA tip.

Cliffio
04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
First of all there is some confussion here. There are two tip styles. The Tear Drop and the All American tip. There is no "Freak" tip so to speak. I think you are confusing the Tear Drop with this term. Both of these tips are modeled after the Smart Parts barrels of the same name.Look pretty much just like them.

The Tear Drop tip has a tulip shaped end to it with all the porting down on this "tear Drop" shaped protrussion in the end. It comes in 10, 12, 14, ...? Maybe larger.

The AA tip has spiraled porting all the way the length of it and is a straight tube. Comes in 12, 14 ...?

i dont think that your right, at least not when it came out, it was called the freak front and the all american front, the description of the freak front matched the tear drop but it was called the freak front

go to smart parts website, its not called the tear drop front, its call the freak front
http://www.smartparts.com/spfreakparts.htm

cphilip
04-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Sure they did and still do "Call" it that but remember it was fine to do that as it was the only tip even available at the time the system came out. And nothing you could even get other than that one. The AA was not even available for a while so no problem if people called it that. I don't think they should have though. But it would seem to me now we ought to be more descriptive so people will be able to compair is all. So I am advocating we all get with the program and call it what it is. Like they should have in the first place.

The rumors at the time were this. They had some trouble with the porting milling the AA tips that had to be overcome. And since the Tear Drop tip has the same porting, all of it in the tip no matter what length, it was easier to do. The AA goes all the way the length of the tip. So it was harder to set up for each length. So they produced the TD first and since they wanted to get the kits on the market they had to go with the TD tip. The TD was their lower end barrel and so as not to associate this one with the low end barrel they just called it something else! The Freak Tip! Yea thats it!!! Marketing!!! ;) That is the story. I do not know if it's true but I heard it from some very reliable sources.