PDA

View Full Version : On a scale of 1-10, how easy is it to short stroke a mag?

ScoobYSnax
04-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Hey, i'm a noob to both paintball and mags. I got my mag about 2 weeks ago and I"m going to use it for the first time on saturday. I was wondering how easy this thing short strokes? The gun will have either a DYE 2x frame (if it gets here by then) or a Benchy 2x. So, what do you guys think?

EDIT:
Is it easy to avoid short storking a mag?

Rate 1(easy) to 10(hard).

joeyjoe367
04-03-2002, 11:04 AM
The first time I played with my mag, I short stroked it quite a few times, leading to broken paint.

It's not much of a problem now, I also have a dye 2x trigger frame, and I like it a lot. I'm pretty sure that you'll short stroke it a couple times when you first get it, but after a day or so of playing, it should cease to be a problem.

...unlike me and cockers :D

If you REALLY want to avoid short stroking, simply keep your ROF down. It seemed to only happen to me when I was trying to unload.

a_malfunction
04-03-2002, 11:24 AM
It can take some practice.... after a draining a few tanks of air while concentrating on not short-stroking, you should be fine.

Shaft
04-03-2002, 12:46 PM
The only way I can misfire my mag is if I do so on purpose.

I gave it an 8.

pip_999
04-03-2002, 12:46 PM
well back when i had adjusted my trigger sear (i know im a moron for doing it)

i NEVER short stroked, i had such a nice pull, and i never short stroked.

but then i had to move it back, because it was going full auto, and now i find it hard to shortstroke

personman
04-03-2002, 12:47 PM
If its first time using mag, 1. If you have it for a month or so and are used to the trigger, 10

TheBigRaguPB4L
04-03-2002, 01:03 PM
Just take it easy on the trigger. Don't try and keep up with all the angels and what not. After a while, you'll get used to the trigger and be able to rip on them. Like coffee truck eddie once told me "The trick to shooting a cocker is, just act as if it's the first time you ever shot a gun and work you're way up till you don't even have to think about it". I think the same principle applies here, it's just a mag instead.

Phil
04-03-2002, 01:06 PM
Your question is not very good. It is very easy to short stroke a mag. It is also very easy not to short stroke. I can do it on purpose whenever I want to but who would want to?

I think what you want to know is, is it easy to avoid short stroking a mag. Rate 1(easy) to 10(hard). The answer is 1.

56kSomeGuy
04-03-2002, 01:07 PM
humm.. i never short stroked ever with my automag.:)

Ityl
04-03-2002, 03:24 PM
the more worn the PT oring is the easier it is to short stroke. The longer the trigger pull the easier it is to short stroke. So it depends on the gun somewhat.

TheTramp
04-03-2002, 03:46 PM
If you aren't used to the trigger, a Mag is very easy to short stroke. In fact, now that I only use a Retro (almost never SS), I'll still short-stroke sometimes when using an AIR valve. I don't even want to talk about when I tried shooting a Cocker.:D

PFAutomag33
04-03-2002, 05:54 PM
I have never short stroked my mag. Maybe it's just because I don't shoot fast enough...:D

I agree with Shaft, but I give it a 10.

Havoc_online
04-03-2002, 05:59 PM
it's pretty hard (almost impossible) to short stroke when your gun is set right and your used to the trigger.(unless you try)

nutz
04-03-2002, 06:02 PM
im not voting because when u first get the make its very easy to short stroke in my opinion... as u use it more it starts to never happen unless u are trying to pull the trigger out of control

paintsprayer
04-03-2002, 06:05 PM
i agree with just about everyone else here, it easy if you try. i've had my 68 automag for a couple weeks and i have shot about 1000 balls. i'm pretty good about not short stroking now. on the day i got it, i had heard so much about how fast mags were and right off the bat, i tried to unload my hopper and i short stroked the seccond trigger pull. i though it was borken, but it actuall just took some getting used to. i was used to shooting my tippmann or spyder, where short stroking doesn't exist.

pip_999
04-03-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
don't even want to talk about when I tried shooting a Cocker.:D

amen brother

cant stand that sliding crap

SlipknotX556
04-03-2002, 06:56 PM
I used to short stroke alot. But ever since I got my intelliframe, I never short stroke.

slayer
04-03-2002, 07:11 PM
I haven't shot a trigger in mechanical pull mode for a long time. I like electronics, you never short stroke them :).

pip_999
04-04-2002, 07:36 AM
jeez if you even think about pulling it too late, you already did LOL

u can fart on an electronic trigger and itll go off

joker4hire
04-04-2002, 10:19 AM
you will also have different results from the different frames. I don't know about the dye frame, but the benchy has a long trigger pull, which gives you a better chance of short stroking... I believe the dyes have a much shorter pull.

Scootyd
04-04-2002, 01:54 PM
When I bought my mag the shop owner explained short stroking and warned be about it. I was very cautious for the first few weeks until i realized it is a hassle but not damaging. If I am taking 3 and 5 shot bursts then short stroking is hard to do. But in the middle of a major fire fight I find that I will short stroke just before crapping myself. How would the intelliframe help this? I have a benchy on right now.

HyperSnyper
04-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Not that hard to avoid short stroking. Just get use to it. The more I think of it, I did short stroker more when I used my benchy 2x. The pull was longer but softer. I would recommend staying with your stock single trigger frame. This way the trigger pull length will be less thus leading to less short stroking. If you must be kewl and get a 2x frame, get one with a short pull. Benchy 2x did seem a little sloppy and long. I dont have much experience with the new intelliframes, but they seem good from what I hear.

I use a Hyperframe now, so no matter what I do, I cant short stroke. Simple equation. Electro + Gun = 0 Short Stroking.

Hope this helps.

-Hyper

BTAutoMag
04-04-2002, 08:28 PM
ive never short stroked a mag and ive been using mags for 1 1/2 years. maybe its just how i play because my dealer had a mag and short stroked every 4 shots (he's used to electrics)

WickeDKlowN
04-04-2002, 09:50 PM
i voted for 8 cause ive had about 3-4 cases through it, and ive only short stroked 2-3 times.

MikeCouves
04-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Well I didn't vote because it all depends. I find when there's not as much air in the tank I start shortstroking. Also I find when I am dryfiring the gun, not in a game. I almost never dryfire when I am ripping in a game, but more often while dryfiring in the backyard or something like that.

speedball4life
04-07-2002, 04:30 PM
the only way that you will short stroke your mag is if you do not release the trigger all way just like it says short stroke

magsRus
04-07-2002, 05:09 PM
I had a double trigger on mine and never short stroked it

pbR2k2
04-10-2002, 01:16 PM
It alllllllll depends on your finger, and how used to the mag trigger pull you are. I've short stroked a couple a times, but that was when i first got it and tried to shoot as fast as i could, but that was dryfiring... I've never shortstroked while using paintballs, so im pretty happy :) :)

-† î [\/]

DJSOLID
04-11-2002, 07:27 AM
My first three games or so, yes, but after you get the feel of it, no. After I installed R/T - none.

DOWNWITHANGELS
04-11-2002, 07:33 AM
I started out with the stock trigger frame and then I switched to the Intelliframe double trigger. The only time I have ever broke a ball is when I fanned the trigger that one time.

dropkick1
04-12-2002, 10:42 AM
i think it is very difficult to short stroke a mag, i shoot pretty fast and i haven't done it ever unless i was goofing around and was tryinig to do it. oh well.

ken

MikeCouves
04-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Unless you are screwing around it's easy not to short stroke.

Just pull the trigger all the way in and all the way out. Now wasn't that simple?

The Creature
08-01-2002, 05:22 PM
I have a minimag with a stock frame still. when i first got it i broke paint every single game that whole day, because i had never used any gun capable of short stroking before. The second time i went paintballing i broke 2 balls all day because i got used to the trigger pull. I am a quick learner, but i can say it does not take much effort at all to get used to the trigger pull. I now have used autocockers and i love the trigger pull, they are nice and light and smooth and i hardly every short stroke them even when rapid firing. I tend to short stroke more with the mag because the trigger pull on the stock frame is long and stiff and just a pain in the *** to pull. I plan on getting a new frame, but i can't make up my mind yet. Anyway, i'd give it a 7 on how difficult it is to short stroke, because if you are used to the pull the only time you would ever do it is when rapid firing.

RT_Luver
08-01-2002, 06:47 PM
I said 2. on my RT(once I got used to the trigger, that took about 2 full days of playin) I had to work at it to short stroke

puckmaster
08-01-2002, 11:50 PM
I can do it on purpouse, but durring a game, I will NEVER short stroke it.

kevdupuis
08-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Flame me if you want, But: I've found both the cocker and mag stock triggers alike in the fact, that all you need to do is pull the triggers and fully release them to function correctly.

AcemanPB
08-02-2002, 02:50 PM
since i put in my level 10 it is very difficult to short-stroke, even if i wanted to i couldn't

The Creature
08-02-2002, 09:52 PM
umm actually you can short stroke just as easy with the level 10 as any other bolt, the only difference is that the level 10 won't chop the ball.

AcemanPB
08-02-2002, 10:30 PM
well i think the higher operating preasure gives a stiffer more crisp triger pull, wich to me makes my gun hard to short stroke

The Creature
08-02-2002, 11:19 PM
haha the LAST thing i want is a stiffer trigger pull on my mag...god the stock trigger frame is terrible, i am not physically strong enough to fire faster than 6 bps lol. I just ordered an Intelliframe with blade trigger so that should solve that problem ;)

AcemanPB
08-03-2002, 02:28 PM
yeah the trigger was a little stiffer but for some reason i could fire alot faster

Spudchucker
08-06-2002, 11:10 AM
i noticed that too before i got my retro. It was hard to pull, yet during games i could shoot like there was no tomorrow. I never short stroked my phase 2 valve, but now that i have the retro it is impossible for m to do so even if i wanted too. That trigger SHOOTS right back out when i fire. Its fun to play with.

about the cockers, i hate the way those triggers and sliding thinngs all work. I played with my bros cocker once, and it was so incredibly confusing. I short stroked every other ball. If the trigger wasn't pulled all the way back, the ball came out slower. Needless to say i was eliminated very quickly in that game.