PDA

View Full Version : Can you paint a regular minimag body?

minimagCHAD
04-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Can i get a paint so i can paint my regular grey minimag body? If so, where can i get it, and what kind of paint do i need. Thanks!

JunoReactorLeak
04-03-2002, 06:24 PM
i think it would chip off and you'd probably jus tneed to get it anodized. If there is a paint you can use though, I would like to know!

Xzion
04-03-2002, 06:29 PM
Unfortunatly, 'Mag bodies are Stainless Steel, and can not be anodized. Only aluminum parts can be anodized. you can however have them painted, the most popular, and best route IMO, would probably be powdercoating, which gives it a clean glossy look, you can see a pic of my black to red fade minimag at the link below my sig.

You can usually get a powdercoat job for pretty cheap, probably somewhere under 50 bucks, depending on the place you go to.

Also, one note. If you do decide to paint your mainbody, try to avoid painting between the mainbody, and the body rail, and the body rail, and the grip frame, as the layers of paint can alter the tolerences of your marker, and potentially cause problems.

For more information, do a search of the forum for 'Powdercoating' it should bring up lots of information. Use the 'Search' button located at the top right of this page to search the forum.

Poseidon
04-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Powdercoating is pretty tough. It will scratch and wear but it holds on stainless pretty good. Just don't be cheap and try to spray paint it. Spray paint won't stick good, it will scratch and wear really easily. Not to mention it will look crappy.

xray_tech1
04-03-2002, 07:44 PM
well, i painted my mag body, and it's holding up just fine. All i did was wipe the body down really good with paint thinner (rubbing alcohol will do) and then painted it in very thin layers. I used a paint that i got at the store. Just plain old flat black. The whole process took about 2 hours...painting a layer....letting it dry....painting a layer....letting it dry........After that, i put a couple of coats of clear satin lacquer on it. My advice is:
1) Make sure you wipe it down with alcohol or something to get all the oil off of the body. After that is done, try not to touch the body, cause ur fingers have oil on them.
2) Paint in EXTREMELY thin layers. I know it takes a long time and it may not seem like u'll ever get done, but it's worth it.
3) Put some type of clear coat over it. I used satin so it wouldn't be glossy, but whatever you would prefer. Make sure you put the clear on just like the paint, EXTREMELY thin layers.
4) And please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!, make sure you don't paint the inside of the body. If you do, you will have a very hard time cleaning it out.

GOOD LUCK!

PyRo
04-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Basically what he said. Use a hard paint, thin layers, take your time. Be sure not to get paint inside the body. Also though, you need to mask off the part of the mainbody which touches the body rail. If you get paint on that it will throw off the tolerances, and make your gun do funny things.

Poseidon
04-03-2002, 08:13 PM
I woudls still look into powdercoating. I'll tell you right now you will be alot happier with it, and it isn't all that expensive to have done.

pip_999
04-04-2002, 08:53 AM
hey man got any pics of the paint job

not the powder coating the actualy paint

MikeCouves
04-04-2002, 09:22 AM
I think he's the guy with the Black Minimag with the flame on the front. That looked pretty cool and there was no chips or anything in it. I thought it was cool.