PDA

View Full Version : Forgive me AGD for I have sinned...

Butterfingers
04-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Ok so I got bored.

Yep I did it I sure did.

I shaved my classic mag on/off pin to .742...

What did I find out. My mag is harder to shortstroke.

Essentially what I have done is decreased the slack between firing and recharge. So there is less "slack" between those two movements and thus a faster recharge on the reverse stroke.

I understand the relationship and the timing issues that go into the automag. And why It can be bad to modify stock parts.

However, there are differing tolerances in the manufacture of automags. So I pose it is OK to modify your parts only if you know what you are doing to bring them back into tolerances.

So Have I sinned?

Vote now...

FooTemps
04-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Erm.... Maybe Tom should have some input on this?

hitech
04-04-2002, 07:53 PM
If it works, and doesn't wear out to soon, then I don't see a problem. You can always replace the on/off pin if it starts acting up.

liigod
04-04-2002, 08:10 PM
if it works better than stock great, and no u havent sinned.

TheBigRaguPB4L
04-05-2002, 12:12 AM
It's not a sin to shave the on/off pin. It's a sin to adjust the trigger rod. If you did that then all the screws would strip and all the orings would melt.

cphilip
04-05-2002, 07:07 AM
Oh my GOD! What is going on here!!!! What happened to the ferverent anti touch anything fever we had here not too long ago!!!!! I am shocked. Whats next? Messing with the trigger rod? Putting an ANS bolt in? Where will it all end! Oh the Humanity of it all!!!!!!! For shame... for shame....

;)

pip_999
04-05-2002, 08:30 AM
i remember when i adjusted my trigger rod, and FYI it worked amazing, ....... for a while

:D:D

Croix71
04-05-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
What happened to the ferverent anti touch anything fever we had here not too long ago!!!!!

Is this true Butter? If so,

Thou hath SINNED against AGD! :D

PFAutomag33
04-05-2002, 01:53 PM
If it works, who cares?

Muzikman
04-05-2002, 03:22 PM
If you guys ever saw the butchered Mag parts I got in my basement, I'd be damned from this forum for ever:)

Thordic
04-05-2002, 03:27 PM
If you do it, and it works, great. But you shouldn't go around proclaiming its greatness, because when someone tries to imitate you, and they screw it up, its gonna cause problems.

I've adjusted my trigger rod with no problem, but if you arne't careful these kinds of mods will cause problems.

So shhh, keep it on the DL that you can actually tinker with mags.

FooTemps
04-05-2002, 03:36 PM
WE CAN ACTUALLY TINKER WITH MAGS!?!? YIPPIE!!!

AngelBoy
04-06-2002, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps
WE CAN ACTUALLY TINKER WITH MAGS!?!? YIPPIE!!!

Too bad you don't have a mag to tinker with:D

XspyX
04-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by AngelBoy

Too bad you don't have a mag to tinker with:D

Oh, that was harsh! :D

TheBigRaguPB4L
04-07-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by XspyX

Oh, that was harsh! :D

Yet oh so funny.

FooTemps
04-07-2002, 01:09 AM
It's ok, I don't care... AT LEAST I GET A FREE MAG!!! BAH!!!

HyperSnyper
04-07-2002, 04:30 AM
If you did shave the on/off pin lower than AGD's original specs, then you can anticipate any sort excellerated wear to be on the bolt and sear. The length off the pin affects how the sear catches the bolt,

How? you may ask...

The sear pivots, think of it like a seesaw. If the pin is shorter, then it will allow the on/off side of the sear to rest at a higher level while the bolt section will rest at a lower position. A lower sear position with the sear means that the very edges of the 2 part will catch rather than having their entire faces catching.

In the vise versa situation, a longer pin would cause the on/off section to rest lower, and would pivot the sear so the bolt half of the sear will rest higher. This will allow more "sear" to catch the bolt face thus reducing wear.

If your bolt and sear look fine, then no worries. This tolerance dilemna is something that Centerflags spends a great deal on, they gave me a long lecture on this when I talked with long ago.

Just something to think about.

-Hyper

HyperSnyper
04-07-2002, 04:36 AM
I wouldnt even consider you a traitor, so hat if you modified the pin length.

I thought you sold your Mag and got a Cocker.

Dont go over to the Dark side, yes... the temptations to join the dark side are great, but always remember... GOOD WILL ALWAYS TRIUMPH OVER EVIL...

J/K

-Hyper

giblit
04-08-2002, 09:56 AM
when i was bored i touched mine and i couldnt fix it :eek:

DJSOLID
04-08-2002, 10:39 AM
Maybe this will prompt the release of the delrin superpin.