PDA

View Full Version : Level Of Education ???

magdude25
04-04-2002, 11:14 PM
What is everyones level of Education ???????

obsolete898
04-04-2002, 11:22 PM
I have a PhD in BS. Other than that I have about a semester done. Which kinda sux cause if I went to collage in stead of the military I'd have my EE degree in a month.

manike
04-05-2002, 04:54 AM
Where is the option for honours degree from university?

Or is that college? We call college something else here.

If you are in college for 5 years here it may mean that you weren't as clever as the guy that was only there for 3 years :D

manike

Thordic
04-05-2002, 07:23 AM
Yeah, he should really have degrees in there instead of just years. Maybe put "High School Diploma, Some College, Associates Degree, Bachelors" etc

And manike, over year its 9 years of grammar school (K-8, some people argue middle school is seperate, but a lot of kids still don't go to a middle school, so I'm including it as grammar school, but middle school is 6-8 in case you were wondering), then 4 years of high school (9-12), then college/university. A college and a university both offer the same things, a university is just a bigger college that offers more degrees. Colleges tend to be smaller and offer less programs, while universities are larger and have a broader range of degrees available. But from an education standpoint, there isn't really much of a difference. Then there's the option of grad school.

I was under the impression that England had a somewhat similar system of schooling. I know Canada's system is different, though, so who knows.

As for your comment about 5 years might not make you so smart, I know people who have been in school 7 years and don't have any degrees :), and I also know someone who has been in school 7 years and has three degrees.

manike
04-05-2002, 07:39 AM
hmmm Thordic that just confuses me even more :)

You guys have the same words for parts of your education system but they mean different things to you. This is a common language problem when talking to Americans and Canadians... we think we are talking about the same things but are not :D

First off is pre school but that's optional and for 2.5-4yr olds I think, then it's Primary school which is 4-11yrs.

A grammar school here is one from age 11-16 or 18 (depending on if you stay on for higher education). A grammar school is one you have to pass exams to get into and takes brains but not money ;)

If you don't have a grammar school nearby or you fail the exams at 11yrs (pressure that was!) you can go to a high school which is the same age group but for people with no brains and no money (hehehe just jesting) OR you can go to a private school (also called Public school for some crazy reason :rolleyes: ) which is for people with no brains but that have money :)

At 16 you can opt out of high school (or whatever) and start work (you must be at school till 16) or you can do higher education... at the same school or at a college. You can also go to college when you are older to get qualifications if you want. A college is a much lower level education qualification usually than University which is the pinnacle of our education system.

After you are 18 and have the right qualifications or experience you can go to University which is where you get degrees...

A degree can take from 3-5 for exactly the same qualification. A 'masters' can take between 1 and 2 years. A PHD (lmao I got asked to do one of these but wanted out of studying) can take another three years...

You can be a perpetual student if you wanted, but I got bored studying and wanted money and to do something worthwhile :D I have been considering going back to uni to do a Psychology degree (I have an honours in Mech Eng and Business Management) but to be honest it's hard to give up the career path and money check once you have started receiving it :)

manike

Miscue
04-05-2002, 08:01 AM
Should have a BS in Computer Science next May.

manike
04-05-2002, 08:04 AM
BS = ?? Bull S... Batchelor of Science :)

hehehe

manike

Thordic
04-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Thats too complicated :) The US system is pretty simple.

We have pre-school, but I left that out because its optional and you just sleep, play with toys, and eat paste.

See, we have private schools and public schools as well, but thats just a matter of choice, its not different types of schools. You still learn the same basic things and such. Most private schools, at least in my opinion, give you a better education. At least the high school I went to did. Its one of the top rated schools in the region though (AO member RSUAVE goes there now).

But the subject matter and such is pretty much the same.

I do find it confusing talking about schooling systems with people from other countries because to us they sound so simple, but there really is more to it, and the names are all different and sometimes mean the same thing. Like over here elementary school and grammar school are the same thing, but sometimes mean K-8, but other times mean K-5. There's all sorts of intricacies that make it pretty tough to understand. No wonder english is the most difficult language to learn, huh? :)

manike
04-05-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Thordic
The US system is pretty simple.

It would need to be :D hehehe

I agree with what you are saying though.

manike

Croix71
04-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by manike

If you are in college for 5 years here it may mean that you weren't as clever as the guy that was only there for 3 years :D

manike

hehe, trying to graduate in 3 years would've killed me. :eek:

Quiet
04-05-2002, 10:55 AM
One year away from Honours B.E.S. then on to my graduate studies.

I'm on the verge of becoming a professional student.

Kevmag
04-05-2002, 04:11 PM
I have a 4-yr degree that took me 6-yrs to get... What do I mark...

wimag
04-05-2002, 05:00 PM
[

manike [/B]

just means i wasnt as big of a nerd and enjoyed my 5 years rather than stress it and cram it into three years. :)

SlipknotX556
04-05-2002, 07:09 PM
I like fail every subject. Nursey schol level it is.

-Jôker-
04-05-2002, 07:15 PM
hehehe

Mango
04-06-2002, 06:46 AM
Manike,

That system is so much better than ours. The US education system stinks. Its no wonder we are considered the 3rd dumbest country.
FYI:
For every engineer that China produces we produce 5 lawyers.

Quiet
04-06-2002, 10:35 AM
The real reason the U.S. system sucks is that you are nearing graduation before you're old enought to go to the campus bar.
What's with the rediculously high drinking ages in the States, I'm not even going to start about the dry counties and such. :eek:

personman
04-06-2002, 11:04 AM
God, I just learned a nursery ryhm in my nursery school... um.. bahh.. bahhh. blak seep hav u ani wewl? i tink sats ho u spl ig

BTAutoMag
04-06-2002, 08:55 PM
GO JUNIORS

manike
04-07-2002, 07:40 AM
Yeah Quiet, I do think your drinking age is crazy.

I think a slower introduction to alchohol as you grow up is less likely to lead to abuse and problems when suddenly adults get that 'freedom'

But that's just my opinion.

manike

J
04-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Yeah Quiet, I do think your drinking age is crazy.

I think a slower introduction to alchohol as you grow up is less likely to lead to abuse and problems when suddenly adults get that 'freedom'

But that's just my opinion.

manike

Maybe, I'm all for lowering of the drinking age (and leagalization of pot), I think Bush said something about it. And the massive amount of lawyers, but can China even have lawyers? Sounds like something not good to communism. I dunno, what was the topic agian? Oh yeah, well for me I'm a junior in High School. I'm not sure about college, but I'll probably go go jut because I have nothing else to do.

Quiet
04-08-2002, 10:18 AM
How did people get the impression that I was an American. I'm Canadian. I threw that in because I've got a lot of friends at my university from the states that came here to get away from their drinking age requirements.

Manike - as for slowly being introduced to the wonderful wotld of alcohol, I'm with you. That's what my parents did with me and I'm problem free (I think)

Thordic
04-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
Manike,

That system is so much better than ours. The US education system stinks. Its no wonder we are considered the 3rd dumbest country.
FYI:
For every engineer that China produces we produce 5 lawyers.

Third dumbest country compared to who?

Sure, Japanese kids do great in school. At what cost? They give people in Japan classes on how to SMILE. Not to mention alcoholism in Japan is at an epidemic level because of the stress levels.

China? Lots of engineers who end up.. working over here, thats right. I work in an engineering firm, want to know how many Chinese immigrants work here? Tons.

At least everyone in America has a chance for an education, how can we be the third dumbest when we have to go to school until we are 16? Most countries kids would BEG to go to school, here we take it for granted and cut class.

And if the third dumbest nation is the worlds superpower, I'd like to see that the smartest nations are up to.

manike
04-08-2002, 01:57 PM
I'd like to see that the smartest nations are up to.

Well we are.... :D :D :D

Working with the worlds 3rd dumbest superpower in order to achieve the stuff we want, but shh don't let em know...

;)

manike

ShooterJM
04-08-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Croix71

hehe, trying to graduate in 3 years would've killed me. :eek:

I was the opposite, if I didn't graduate in two I would've gone nuts! Love learning, but detest the compartmentalized thinking that's in a lot of universities.

ShooterJM
04-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
The real reason the U.S. system sucks is that you are nearing graduation before you're old enought to go to the campus bar.

Yeah, it sucks. I graduated when I was 20. Couldn't even go to my class's graduation party because it was held at a drinking establishment. I was infuriated. Ended up getting looped anyway so I don't know what the big deal was.

sygyzy
04-09-2002, 03:08 AM

Third dumbest country compared to who?

Sure, Japanese kids do great in school. At what cost? They give people in Japan classes on how to SMILE. Not to mention alcoholism in Japan is at an epidemic level because of the stress levels.

China? Lots of engineers who end up.. working over here, thats right. I work in an engineering firm, want to know how many Chinese immigrants work here? Tons.

At least everyone in America has a chance for an education, how can we be the third dumbest when we have to go to school until we are 16? Most countries kids would BEG to go to school, here we take it for granted and cut class.

And if the third dumbest nation is the worlds superpower, I'd like to see that the smartest nations are up to.

Third dumbest country compared to the rest of the world. That should not have been too hard to figure out. I am not saying I agree with it, but I have seen very similar statistics. Not once has the US Education system ranked anywhere respectable in the world. And these are Americans conducting these studies mind you. Don't let patriotism blind you.

China and engineers - they work here. Why not? What is your point? The post was about "third dumbest countries." Who is twisting the US firms' arms to hire these Chinese engineers? How do you think immigration started initially? They just let everyone in? Nope, they wanted engineers and that was the ticket for many foreigners into this country. I don't know about you, but I want the best people building stuff for our country, regardless of their race.

How can we be the third dumbest country if we are forced to go to school? Well like you said, people cut class. People drop out. People have kids. The list goes on. Go read up on literacy rates among countries. You'd be surprised some of the poorest countries have excellent literacy. The funniest thing I have seen was a statistic on how most American students (HS I think) could not name the 50 states and capitals but when they asked Japanese, Chinese, etc students, they could. That my friend, is a slap in the face.

X-Plosive
04-09-2002, 03:49 PM
You have to remember one thing about why drinking in the US is restricted until the age of 21. In the U.S. we have MANY more vehicles than Europe and many kids have cars at young ages. They become wreckless. Most kids start drinking in the US at the age of 16(ironically the same age they get licenses....:rolleyes: ) and get fake ID's by 17. I think that was on History International. In Europe the public transportation systems are excellent almost everywhere. In the US very few cities have even decent transportation. A pint of the black stuff never hurt anyone......

manike
04-09-2002, 03:54 PM
You gotta be kidding me with those reasons? I don't see anything valid in any of them. You may have more cars in total but not more traffic on the roads, I'd say density is the more important factor. The more rural driving done in the USA would be safer (I don't believe any drink driving is safe though).

People here start driving at 17 and legally drinking at 18 although most already are from about 15 up if they are going to drink anyway.

The public transport systems here are not great everywhere. In fact they are pretty crappy anywhere other than the main big cities. NYC has the easiest public transport system I've used anywhere in the World...

manike

hitmanng
04-10-2002, 10:28 PM
Third dumbest country... I think that means that there are two other countrys that score higher on some kind of test. I find this easy to believe. In the United states everyone has to go to school and everyone is tested, in many countries this is not the case. If you think that third dumbest means that there are only 2 other countries with lower scores then you are bringing down our curve. If you think of our population and the number of over all students you may realize that we still have more people of intellegence but we also have stupid people being tested.
It is like the average age of death. It includes all of the infants that die at birth. The recent rise is not people living longer it has to do with the neonatologist saving more babies.
Data is power. Missinterpreted data in an idiots hand is just a waste.......
Hitmanng

Shaft
04-11-2002, 06:29 AM
Drinking age is a moot point. Does alcholism really start at 21? A drunk is a drunk, regardless of how rehearsed they are.

mykroft
04-11-2002, 08:52 AM
I've got a Diploma as Engineering Technican (Electronics) from college, as well as 1.5 years towards my Classics B.A. from University , and several Industry certifications.

In Canada a College grants Diploma's and a University grants Degrees, a University College has a deal with a University to grant a few Degrees through the other University.

My Diploma is the Equivalent to an Associates Degree (Which we don't have in Canada.

Chupr0kabra
04-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Lots and lots of college. Do I have a degree? Nope. Did I have a good time? Oh yes. Do I remember most of it? not a chance.

Bless the University of Texas.

-Mike

Miscue
04-12-2002, 07:57 AM
<B>*Miscue high fives Mike!*</B>

Croix71
04-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Chupr0kabra
Lots and lots of college. Do I have a degree? Nope. Did I have a good time? Oh yes. Do I remember most of it? not a chance.

Bless the University of Texas.

-Mike

I hope your not on the 10 year plan?!?! :eek:

manike
04-12-2002, 08:05 AM
/me had a great time, drank lots... partied lots... ;) , spent lots, played rugby and paintball, almost got kicked out twice, and got a fantastic degree at the end of it..., won a prize in the 'National Young Engineer Awards' and left with a HUGE debt and a future ahead of him...

Even if you don't make it passed the first year I recommend everyone tries it.

When I went to uni I wasn't sure what to do. I just wanted to have fun. I did. And almost got booted out because of it... I made it back on the second year and had even more fun... and almost got kicked out again... I made it back in my final year, did a little work and got an honours degree (2:1) and left having had some of the best experiences of my life.

manike

Chupr0kabra
04-12-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Croix71

I hope your not on the 10 year plan?!?! :eek:

That would imply that I'm still trying to get my degree. I haven't totally given up yet, but if I do go back to school, it will be on my own terms, to get a degree I really want. Something like Music Education.

-Mike

ShooterJM
04-12-2002, 08:22 AM
almost got booted out because of it... I made it back on the second year and had even more fun... and almost got kicked out again... I made it back in my final year, did a little work and got an honours degree (2:1) and left having had some of the best experiences of my life.

manike

Hehehehe yeah I can identify with that! Within a week the president of the school knew me by name!

Shooter