PDA

View Full Version : Retro Valve problems

halfHP
04-06-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi,

I have an Automag Classic that I just recently upgraded with a Retro Valve, Flatline HP air tank and Intelliframe.

Put everything together, plugged the gun in and fired it - everything looked and sounded normal. Then I fired a few more shots and watched the output air pressure meter on the Flatline - it went from 700 down to about 400 in 2-3 shots. After about 5 fast pulls of the trigger the regulator was completely depleted and the gun started acting like the air tank was empty. I let the tank sit for a couple seconds and the output pressure rose back to 700. I have the 4500 psi model with a little over 3000 psi in it. After about 30 shots the meter read approx. 2000-2300 psi. After about 200 rounds of paint max I managed to completely deplete my flatline air supply.

My first reaction to all this was great - the Flatline has something wrong with it. I tried my old 3000 psi tank with about 2200 psi in it and was able to visibly watch the needle drop as I shot at a rate somewhere around 3-4 shots a second. In my mind this meant that the problem was actually with the Retro Valve. I tinkered with the velocity on it for a while but never managed to fix the problem. There are no leaks on any of the components. Air did leak through the back of the gun when I turned up the velocity on the gun too high. I assume thats normal. Also at one point when I had unplugged the gun from the air supply then plugged it back in - the bolt flew forward and air leaked out the front of the gun until the air was turned off. For an unknown reason that stopped after about 5 times of turning it on and off.

Everything is brand spanking new. Not knowing alot about either component I didnt want to take it apart to look for any internal problems. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

a_malfunction
04-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Retro valves (and the origional RTs) need a quick, high-pressure burst of air to cock. To fix it, you'll either need to turn the tank on faster or hold the trigger down when you gas it up.

As for your retro being a gas hog, I couldnt tell you. Hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Dave
04-06-2002, 08:09 AM
wow, that sounds wierd...as for the retro, no it is not a gas hog, about the same as the standard valve, except it just seems to go faster since the Retro Shoots faster. It may be that with the slower time of the recharge of the A.I.R. valve the tank worked fine, but some how could not keep up with the Retro, like it is being starved of air...I dunno if there is any way to clean the reg on your tank or not.

-Dave

BlackVCG
04-06-2002, 12:28 PM
What frame do you have on your gun? What type of hoses are you running from the tank to the gun? Try putting your stock AIR valve back in the gun and seeing if the 4500 Flatline and 3000 perform fine with that valve. If so, you can then say for sure that the problem is your Retro Valve.

halfHP
04-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi,

The gun is an automag powerfeed with a Intelliframe - everything else aside from the Retro Valve is stock. (I guess that doesnt leave much to be stock)

As far the old regulator I didnt try it with the flatline but I did try it with my 3000 psi tank which the Retro Valve burned through in well under 200 shots. The Classic valve shot efficiently.

Thanks for the help so far - Im sure theres an answer out there somewhere

halfHP
04-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Oops...forgot to answer the other part of your question about what hoses I use.

On the gun its self - none. I connect my air tank directly to the retro valve via a quick disconnect fitting. I have 2 different hoses I run between the tank and the gun. Neither leak - tried both.

Nick