PDA

View Full Version : My friend's Spyder won't shoot or cock right...please help

MikeCouves
04-06-2002, 06:50 PM
My friend has a red Spyder Shutter and it won't cock or shoot properly.

I stripped it down and looked at the vertical adapter with LP chamber, and saw that the 2 orings that are supposed to be the same weren't. It looked like one of them was a tank oring. Would this be the cause of the problem? Also what will the little washer between the thumb velocity adjuster and the striker spring guide do? Because mine is missing.

I can pull the bolt back, but when I pull the trigger the shot isn't right, it's almost like it's not discharging that much air. Then it doesn't cock back at all, it doesn't sputter or leak it just doesn't cock.

Thanks alot for your help!

Lol that should teach him to get a mag.

ramsee1
04-06-2002, 08:51 PM
The orings won't stop you from getting an air supply. That little washer I believe is a guide so when you set the velocity it pushes on the spring. Make sure you have the velocity turned up enough so the marker can recock. If that doesn't work, try the Kingmanusa.com boards, I am sure they can help you.

MikeCouves
04-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Yeah I posted there too, just seeing if anyone here knew anything.

spliff
04-06-2002, 09:07 PM
The shutter has a regulator on it. Make sure the regulator is putting out enough pressure to operate the gun. The shutter needs 750-850 psi to cycle correctly. The adjustment screw for the stock regulator is to the right of the gauge.

MikeCouves
04-06-2002, 09:15 PM
Okay, does that need to be in or out? (The reg screw)

RATM
04-06-2002, 09:22 PM
First of all clean and oil it. Have you tried the tank on a different gun? Make sure it's not empty. Turn up the pressure on the reg if its set low.

MikeCouves
04-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Yeah well I used to own a Shutter and that little reg screw did nothing for me. I am going to oil it and grease whatever is needed.

nastymag
04-07-2002, 03:32 AM
just had this proplems with my sisters spyder 2000. get a washer for the spring or get a tighter spring. the spring isnt... the hammer isnt hitting hard enough.

sheeesh you guys this is a simple one.

into more detail ... the spring is falling into the velocity adujester ... because the little rod goes right inot the middle of the spring. put a washer to stop it from sliping in or get a much stifer spring.

MikeCouves
04-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Well actually the spring can't fall into the velocity adjuster because of the striker spring guide. The washer was inbetween it and the pin of the thumb velocuty adjuster. I have owned a Shutter too.

fenris69
04-08-2002, 12:15 PM
if it weren't for the fact im sure youd have figured this out...id say the bolt was in upside down :)

MikeCouves
04-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Well you can't put the bolt in upside down because the pin on the bolt sticks out and won't let it.

fenris69
04-08-2002, 12:20 PM
what bout the mainspring? that pretty much controls how hard the hammers hitting the valve doesnt it?

MikeCouves
04-08-2002, 12:22 PM
Is the mainspring the long one from that goes into the back of the hammer back to the velocity adjuster.

fenris69
04-08-2002, 12:29 PM
yup, your saying when it shoots it sounds like there isnt enough pressure to be cocking the marker? could be that then... oh. whats this bout missing washer in there? hm. if it added to spring tension at all that could do it. try taking off the reg yet? just screw a bottle in there directly see what happens. er...unless you need a vertical adapter.

MikeCouves
04-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Yeah, god it's a Spyder, it could be anything.

fenris69
04-08-2002, 12:37 PM
the blowback mechanism is pretty simple tho, can only be either the air's not flowing where it's supposed to, or not enough pressure....have fun! hehe... oh, if you or anyone else also has a spyder, start swapping parts. see what happens.

MikeCouves
04-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Yeah that's a good idea, but I think this is the only Shutter around, because I had the other one, and I sold mine like a year ago. Oh wait, there's a blue one around...

fenris69
04-08-2002, 12:50 PM
does it need to be a shutter? im pretty sure the internals are mainly the same for all the spyder models, cept maybe the new one. hell you could upgrade every internal with sweet parts including valve for under 100 ... tell him your stumped and offer to buy it from him for cheap :) then do that!

MikeCouves
04-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Well the shutter needs a rear cocking bolt so you can cock it when it's in there. You can always drill a hole and stick a little rod in there :). But...as far as it goes I would rather use actual shutter parts, because again, you know Spyder :).

Polishpickles451
04-12-2002, 03:19 PM
I had this samne problem with my old spyder. I stripped it down, lubed it, and tried a different, much lighter bolt. It worked fine. Make sure to lub the insides, ands that the tank is screwed in enough. Also, check the lines, especially if you got steal braided, for any obstructions. Also, make sure the hammer has an oring in that little slot. Bu the only true solution is to ditch the spyder :D
And that reminds me - What does a low pressure chamber do ?

magplayerr
04-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Try a new sticker o ring. Its the o ring located on the hammer. This seals the air so it is directed to the bolt and seals the air that recocks the marker. If it isnt recocking this might be your problem

drx975
04-12-2002, 04:54 PM
You need to have that little washer, and you need to have the proper o-rings in the right places. Clean and oil. If it doesnt work after that, then drop the Shutter on the ground, back the car out and run over the Shutter several times back and forth. Either do that, or tie the Shutter to a piece of string and tie the other end of the string to your car, and drive around the block for 30 minutes. Then go buy a Mag. :D

Mav D MagMan
04-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Polishpickles451

And that reminds me - What does a low pressure chamber do ?

Low pressure is supposed to keep a "greater air mass in front of the valve" supposedly it keeps a rapid velocity drop off from occuring when the tank gets low although it's all theory if you ask me

Stimpy
04-12-2002, 05:46 PM
they sell all-aluminum pins, i dont remeber who makes em, but they help get rid of the "missing washer" issue.

MikeCouves
04-12-2002, 08:10 PM
Stimpy, yes they do. They are stainless steel, I don't really see the point though. I am STILL waiting on a reply from Kingman :mad:.

MrMag
04-12-2002, 09:05 PM
how about ur friend just gets rid of the damn spyder and gets a better gun. i dont care what ppl say a suped up spyder will never be as good as a stock mag or cocker

excessenemy
04-13-2002, 06:55 AM
are we talking about an lp setup? also you can try grinding two flats on the valve pin to get more air to the hammer to help it recock.

MikeCouves
04-13-2002, 09:30 AM
Guys...god enough of the crap. "Run it over", "Beat it into the sand". STFU you are no help to me! Don't post crap like that please.

I am still tinkering around with it trying to get it to cock.

excessenemy
04-13-2002, 11:33 AM
you know the flat on the valve pin. try grinding the same flat on the opposite, it wont hurt anything. you need a dremel (cant file it, its too hard). try that.

MikeCouves
04-13-2002, 12:29 PM
Damn, I don't have a dremel, but my friend does.

excessenemy
04-13-2002, 04:13 PM
you can try a file but its made of stainless so its pretty hard.