PDA

View Full Version : Tom, I never found out if you got my letter

Chris
04-07-2002, 08:10 PM
If you havent gotten it from webby, let me know and I will either post it here or email, pm it to you, or whatever you want to get it. I also havent received a reply from webby on the matter. Please let me know what you want me to do about this.

-Chris

AGD
04-07-2002, 10:50 PM
What letter are you talking about Chris? I get 50 a day.

AGD

Chris
04-08-2002, 11:40 AM
It was a PM I sent to webby and asked him to forward to you so that you can address the issue personally.

Do you want me to email it to you, post it here, or what?

-Chris

AGD
04-08-2002, 07:31 PM
post it here. AGD

Chris
04-08-2002, 08:57 PM
I have talked about this with a number of other forum users, and we would very much like seeing fight club come back as it was originally. That is to say, people would need passwords to post in the FC forum, and they would be selected by other users. I know that many of the Mods do not want to "babysit" a potentially volitile forum, which is why Shartley and myself will volunteer to be mods for the FC forum, taking responsibility off of the current mods.

I feel that FC would be a very good re-addition to AO, a place where members can talk about anything, and keep the conversations adult. FC, when it was up, had few, if any problems with members taking any posts personally.

The way I envision FC is a place where members can discuss personal, religious, and political issues, as well as any other topic that they would like to have an intelligent conversation/debate.

FC would differ from Deep Blue mainly in that DB is a technical forum, while FC will be geared more towards "anything goes". Of course, rules and whatnot would have to be agreed upon if this is to go any further, but I urge you to give this some thought. If you could even leave the decision to Tom himself, I would appreciate that.

-Chris

FooTemps
04-08-2002, 09:07 PM
We should do that for deep blue too... deep blue is misused too much also...

AGD
04-08-2002, 11:46 PM
Fight club was originaly a debate forum for paintball and not open to multiple subjects. Garner support for your version of it here on the forum and we will take it under consideration.

AGD

BlackVCG
04-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Fight Club, AKA Deep Blue was never intended to be a forum for selected members only that talked about any topics. In particular highly debateable topics like religion, politics, etc. The whole purpose for the member only forum was to promote highly technical discussion with only people that show knowledge or the ability to pose thoughtful questions.

Although I think Deep Blue isn't getting the same amount of posting as when it was a member only forum, I think it's just fizzled off because it started out as a new thing for AO so a lot of people wanted to participate. Now it's old and people just don't want to spend the time discussing indepth topics as much as before.

The problem we had was that a lot of members would whine about not being part of the group and felt that they were left out. We've decided to leave it open to everyone and just be strict on what threads we allow in there.

As for having a member only forum to be able to discuss non-paintball issues that are currently banned from AO. I am 100% against that. I'm sure the other mods are too. The problem is even though you're only letting in "hand-picked" members, those topics develop the same circular arguement as on any other forum and end up developing into flames between mature people. Then you have regular forum members whining about not being able to be part of the special forum and trying to start the same threads in Friendly Corner because they think they should be able to talk about the same topics as those people in the "Fight Club". It's been said before and I'll say it again. There are many forums out there to discuss political and religious issues amongst other things. If you want to get into those discussions, go there, that's what those forums are for. This is a paintball forum and our focus is on just that. Yes, this is a "family" forum and it might be entertaining to discuss such issues amongst fellow AO members, but it's not something we want to be a part of this forum.

manike
04-09-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by Chris
The way I envision FC is a place where members can discuss personal, religious, and political issues, as well as any other topic that they would like to have an intelligent conversation/debate

As with BlackVCG I am 100% against this. If you want to bring others from AO into a debate on subjects which are banned here, there are many boards elsewhere you can do it, and just post a link in the friendly forum. That's worked before.

I also think if you are going to set up a forum where anyone can say anything to discuss such higly personal views then there shouldn't be any moderators at all to control with their personal views on what is allowed or not. It should be a 'true fight club'. These are issues which are almost impossible for anyone to be impartial on.

If there is a board like that post a link and I will come play, but I would not be happy to see such a board as part of this forum. It always overspills into other areas of a board and is not a good idea in my opinion.

I also think that in the last part of what I quoted that you are implying that you can't have an intelligent conversation or debate here on non technical subjects... well you can even though you do have to weed throug the post whores occasionally :) Friendly corner has a lot of serious discussions and debates, just not on banned subjects. You are almost asking for somewhere where banned subjects can be debated by only the select few... Well there is a reason they are banned... and I think only allowing a few people to post on such subjects would be even worse.

I would like to see even stronger moderation in Deep Blue (and I know CPhilip has been doing a lot there also). I rarely post in there anymore as I don't have time to check so many forums and wading through all the junk there rather than cutting to the chase has put me off. I don't see any difference in posting there as to posting here in 'main' now really...

manike

cphilip
04-09-2002, 06:36 AM
Deep Blue? Yes I usually give it a few days in between and then do a mass cleaning about twice a week. In fact there is one there from yesterday the author begged me to leave it for a certain number of hits so I did as a favor to him. But its coming out now. Every once in a while Deep Blue picks up. Notice it attracted Glen Palmer? And Bill Mills comes there too. I think its doing fine. It shouldn't be all that active realy if its true to it's mission.

This quoted statement? The way I envision FC is a place where members can discuss personal, religious, and political issues, as well as any other topic that they would like to have an intelligent conversation/debate

I do not envision that kind of forum being healthy for a Paintball Forum. And totally inconsistent with the mission we have. And probably unhealthy for us. While I liked Fight Club it at least was supposed to be about Paintball. What you put forth is far from that. No...I cannot suport that idea.