PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shrink Tubing

MajorDamage
04-08-2002, 05:02 PM
I picked up some heat shrink tubing to put around my steel braided hose(switching from macro, I got sick of the stuff!), and was wondering how I get it to go on. Do I just use a hair dryer or something? And also, if I cut the tubing so I can fit it around the hose fittings will it still work??? THANX!

ENDO!

Dubstar112
04-08-2002, 05:19 PM
You have to get a piece that will JUST barley fit over the fittings on the hose, it wont work if you cut it lengthwise(like a sub roll). I just use a candle, and hold the tubing above it just far enough to shrink.. You'll know if you get too close because it wil start to melt. Other than that, just go back and forth un till its all shrunk.(the tubing will be come shorter when you shrink it, so cut it like an 8th or so of an ich longer on each side.

Army
04-08-2002, 06:01 PM
Don't let the flame touch the tubing or it will blacken it. Don't leave the flame too long in one place or it will melt the plastic.
Keep moving the flame back and forth over the whole length of the tubing so it shrinks evenly.

PyRo
04-08-2002, 06:21 PM
I actually just hold a lighter on it and go back and forth fast. Just don't go to slow that it melts the plastic, or let it get tight enough that it will shrink too much and rip itself. As for cutting it, you cannot cut it leangthwise.

speedballbanks
04-08-2002, 07:22 PM
where can i get some of this hea shrink tube? how much? how does it work and can i use it with electronics and if so how di use it on the electronics?

PyRo
04-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Radio shack has it. Some electric supply stores, maybie home depo, or hardware stores would have it.
What do you mean use it on electronics?
You can use it on wires and such to cover connections.

Kevmag
04-08-2002, 07:35 PM
1/2" tubing works well. I couldn't get 3/8" to fit over the fittings.

sicones
04-08-2002, 07:47 PM
if you wanna use it for electronics get 1/8"

Autotrigger
04-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Like they said, get it so it just fits over you fittings, don't slice it or it will be junk! And a hair dryer set on hi heat works better then a match or a lighter or any kind of open flame! Move it around and evenly heat the shrink wrap.